Advice for HDMI Users

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Advice for HDMI Users

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

KennyL wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:32 pm

I just found out about this issue after connecting a random 7" monitor I got from Amazon. The monitor powers on Mister via HDMI.

https://youtu.be/mmm54r6bsHE

I read through this thread and I'm not clear on if CEC less HDMI cables and devices would also not send power to Mister? Will it damage DE10 nano if I keep using it like this? I'll probably return this monitor either ways.

I just had another Displayport to HDMI adapter go bad after using the MiSTer for a couple of hours. The adapter connects my PC to the other port of the same monitor.

The power of the MiSTer being connected to HDMI is a real problem. I'm also looking for an elegant solution to isolate the power from the HDMI connection.

segacanyon

Unread post by segacanyon »

Just stumbled across this thread and it got me wondering about something.
I have an active y/c encoder plugged into hdmi/direct video (via an hdmi to vga converter). I've noticed that the quality of the composite out doesn't change regardless if the encoder is plugged into an external power source or not. The quality is very good, however, and much better than the passive encoder that I have used (which was plugged directly into the analog board's vga out). Could it be that the hdmi port is powering the active encoder?

MattG

Unread post by MattG »

I thought I'd pose this here vs. creating a new thread.

I've noticed when running update all and some arcade cores that the text runs off on the left side of the screen. This happens with an HDMI plugged into a TV. However, I recently used my MiSTer on a gaming monitor and noticed everything fit in frame.

Is there a setting I need to adjust for use on the TV?

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Yes, you need to adjust the overscan setting on your TV, which is unfortunately named a bunch of different thing these days. But usually its something like screen size or screen fit, or possible even one of the "wide" modes.

Djiem

Unread post by Djiem »

segacanyon wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:39 pm

Just stumbled across this thread and it got me wondering about something.
I have an active y/c encoder plugged into hdmi/direct video (via an hdmi to vga converter). I've noticed that the quality of the composite out doesn't change regardless if the encoder is plugged into an external power source or not. The quality is very good, however, and much better than the passive encoder that I have used (which was plugged directly into the analog board's vga out). Could it be that the hdmi port is powering the active encoder?

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm also using an active Y/C encoder via an HDMI-to-VGA converter, and the picture quality is good even though neither the Y/C encoder nor the HDMI-to-VGA converter are plugged to an external power source. This would indeed suggest that the HDMI port is powering both the active encoder and the HDMI-to-VGA converter.

This also happens when I'm using Antonio Villena's VGA->YPbPr adapter. Since this one's passive, in that case the HDMI port is powering up the HDMI-to-VGA converter only.

I'm hoping this isn't damaging the DE10-Nano board or any of the converters. I can't think of why it would be damaging anything; after all, that power would be going out of the HDMI port anyway, regardless of there being unplugged active converters in the way, right? However, LamerDeluxe's posts about DP-to-HDMI adapters exploding has me slightly concerned...

lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:32 pm

It looks like the DE10 HDMI has just destroyed the displayport to HDMI adapter that was connecting the other HDMI port of my monitor to my PC.

My $50 Delock seems to have suffered a similar fate. Worked fine with the CEC blocker in front, then I did some cable shuffling and forgot to put it back on. After a couple of hours the Delock now seems partially dead.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

lagerfeldt wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:18 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:32 pm

It looks like the DE10 HDMI has just destroyed the displayport to HDMI adapter that was connecting the other HDMI port of my monitor to my PC.

My $50 Delock seems to have suffered a similar fate. Worked fine with the CEC blocker in front, then I did some cable shuffling and forgot to put it back on. After a couple of hours the Delock now seems partially dead.

Wow, that was quickly then. It is really odd. I've only been using my MiSTer with and iPad display lately and nothing strange has happened with my HDMI adapters anymore.