Direct Video Out into PVM-1354Q

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
hsitko333

Direct Video Out into PVM-1354Q

Unread post by hsitko333 »

Hi everyone! I just put together a mister with a digital IO and got ahold of a Sony PVM-1354Q. I am attempting to hook this thing up with rgb. So i purchased these two components based on what i read on the retrorgb page.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZMV7RL2
and
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UJMGZC

I looked up online about how to enable the direct video output and went into the ini file and put a 1 in the direct video line and a 1 on the composite sync video line. I plugged the bnc connectors into the rgb spots on the back of the monitor. Red into red, green into green, blue into blue and grey into sync in.

I get a rolling image of the menu that is in triplicate. I cant seem to figure this out. HELP!!!

Thanks!

wasabinator

Re: Direct Video Out into PVM-1354Q

Unread post by wasabinator »

Just to confirm, have you pressed the Ext Sync button on the PVM so that is on? Also is the PVM in RGB as opposed to component mode? It can be switched in it's settings menu (depends on the model though, but is the case with mine).

hsitko333

So on this monitor the selectors for rgb are push buttons on the front of the monitor. You select rgb with the line/rgb button and the a/rgb button having their lights on then you select the ext sync button light on to enable external sync. So for this to function with an external sync rgb you need those 3 lights lit up. Mine are and i have a rolling triplicate image.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Try black connector for ext sync, or just rgb ones with nothing on sync.

hsitko333

Ok, so i connected a ps3 to the component connection and i get video. So the board in the pvm works. I tried connecting just the rgb connections and nothing. I tried the black and the grey connector in the ext sync and nothing. I'm almost 100% sure that this is a mister setting issue not a pvm setting issue.

I have a question. So if going to direct video means that hdmi doesnt work any more due to the output being different so you can use a hdmi to rgb cable. Then how come when i set the ini file to direct video i can hook up an hdmi cable and plug it into my lcd computer monitor and it works just fine. Shouldnt it display nothing due to direct video being different?

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

For most PVMs direct_video=1 & composite_sync=1 should be sufficient regarding settings (unless something has changed in the last 7 months in the ini or main, but I doubt that). Try these with a completely fresh mister.ini.

There might be some outliers though, in my time here I've seen a few odd PVM - related behaviours.

paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

hsitko333 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:18 am

I get a rolling image of the menu that is in triplicate.

Triplicate means your PVM is receiving a 720p signal which is the MiSTer default output signal so Direct Video is not enabled.

Make sure the filename of the ini file that you changed is MiSTer.ini

hsitko333

Ok so i put a fresh ini file in there. I hooked up my mister to my lcd. Turned it on and modified the ini file in the scripts section of the menus. I set composite sync to on and direct video to on. hit save and the system restarted. No longer displaying on my lcd. Plugged in my converter and rgb cables. turned on the pvm. Nothing. No matter the setting. No matter the cable connection configuration. Best i can get is a rolling triplicate image. What am i missing here?

hsitko333

What is the deal with the fresh ini file too? I loaded it up and opened it in notepad and it looked nothing like the ini file that i took off.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

hsitko333 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:17 pm

What is the deal with the fresh ini file too? I loaded it up and opened it in notepad and it looked nothing like the ini file that i took off.

Maybe you saved it as html. Try to copy & paste the content directly from from the github page (starting with line #1, ending with line #310).

I'm away from my PVMs atm to test this again, maybe somebody else can confirm that the aforementioned settings are the only .ini changes needed. That's how it was at the time of writing the CRT Wiki.

So the only other options I can think of in your case are:
-the DV dongle you're using is causing the problem
-the cable you're using is causing the problem
-your PVM just doesn't play nice with this particular setup

All are unlikely but possible.

Israelpz

Unread post by Israelpz »

PXL_20230529_214825488.jpg
PXL_20230529_214825488.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 1301 times

Seem you are missing the sync signal.
You may need to connect vsync in the PVM and also configure some setting in "ini" file:
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... /crttable/

use the first row from the table; Also set video_mode with the following value:
video_mode=640,22,58,64,480,8,6,31,12336

You can get your desired video mode from:
https://morf77.pythonanywhere.com/

Just remember this PVM is 240P,480i:
https://www.crtdatabase.com/crts/sony/sony-pvm-1354q

I have the same PVM model and I'm having some minor issues like in the PSX core on some time the image is "jumpy" or not properly sync,
when this happens I only enable "HDMI over 480p" option under video and resolve the problem.
Also when you try to run the scripts(update) they don't run in the CRT and you need HDMI output.

bxbennyg1

Unread post by bxbennyg1 »

you need this cable - RGBS instead of RGBHV - it combines the sync... you would have to combine your syncs separately if you use the cable you have.

https://www.amazon.com/6-FT-D-Sub-SVGA- ... 01GUHLJ9W/

fierman

Unread post by fierman »

bxbennyg1 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:28 am

you need this cable - RGBS instead of RGBHV - it combines the sync... you would have to combine your syncs separately if you use the cable you have.

This is not true. No sync combining is needed on the MiSTer

bxbennyg1

Unread post by bxbennyg1 »

fierman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:03 am

Its the issue with what is going on with the pvm. Grey and black wires are horizontal and vertical. The external sync is one bnc. Its composite sync not seperate sync

Attachments
IMG_0775.jpeg
IMG_0775.jpeg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 1101 times
fierman

Unread post by fierman »

bxbennyg1 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:35 pm
fierman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:03 am

Its the issue with what is going on with the pvm. Grey and black wires are horizontal and vertical. The external sync is one bnc. Its composite sync not seperate sync

When using a standard vga-bnc cable, you only need the horizontal sync line for a pvm. The vertical sync is not used. (i have several pvm's here too)