Mac SD Card Install?

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Washac

Mac SD Card Install?

Unread post by Washac »

Hi

Just put together my MiSTer and was wondering if if there is a real idiots guide to
preparing an SD Card for Mac users ?

I have watched some Youtube stuff and all that Terminal script stuff is confusing me
so I have an idea to help others who maybe having the same problem.

Is there anywhere where a .img of an SD Card that has had the SD-InstallTool_Win_MiSTer run on it
ready for use be stored for download.
Kreeblah

Re: Mac SD Card Install?

Unread post by Kreeblah »

Nobody's made that since MiSTer's setup is different than a Raspberry Pi's. With a Pi, you write a disk image to a card, and then on the first boot, it grows the filesystem to fill the card. The problem with that on the MiSTer is that it uses exFAT for most of its filesystem, and there aren't Linux tools available to grow those, so the options are do things like they're done today, create images for every possible size of SD card, or have people wonder why their cards are showing less space available on them than they should (because the filesystems don't take up the entire card). On the other hand, a Pi is going to use some combination of native Linux filesystems like ext4 and well-understood cross-platform filesystems like FAT32, which is what makes that resizing strategy work.

So, what the card setup script and Windows utility do is set up the SD card partitions based on how large the card is, and then write data to them.
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

So what your saying is that if I were to get hold of say a 128GB pre installed card and make a backup .img of it I cannot restore
that .img onto another new card and it will work ?

I think on the Atar-Forum there was/is an idiots guide to pre installing an SD Card on a Mac, but cannot get to that for now :(

I thought that a .img was just a backup of the card ?
Locutus73
Core Developer

Unread post by Locutus73 »

Washac

Unread post by Washac »

Locutus73 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 am As per https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide there's a macOS install script here
https://github.com/michaelshmitty/SD-In ... cos_MiSTer

Regards.

Locutus73
Thanks yes I am aware of this but what is the Prerequisite items that I have to install on my Mac first, more I read more
confused I get :(

Lines like this on the gihub page do not help me I just read it and its like eh? ( Open a terminal, clone this repository and change into the directory.)

Open a terminal OK I can do that.
Clone this repository ?
Change into the directory, what directory ?
Locutus73
Core Developer

Washac wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:52 pm Open a terminal OK I can do that.
Clone this repository ?
Change into the directory, what directory ?
Immagine.png
Immagine.png (13.93 KiB) Viewed 9369 times
Regards.

Locutus73
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

Been trying to do this all afternoon and gotten nowhere :(

I tried to install homebrew and even that did not work.

Thanks for trying to help though.
Locutus73
Core Developer

Washac wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:54 pm Been trying to do this all afternoon and gotten nowhere :(

Did you install homebrew with

Code: Select all

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"
and then git with

brew install git
wget with

brew install wget
and unrar with

brew install unrar
?

Regards.

Locutus73
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

Locutus73 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:46 pm
Washac wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:54 pm Been trying to do this all afternoon and gotten nowhere :(

Did you install homebrew with

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"
and then git with

brew install git
wget with

brew install wget
and unrar with

brew install unrar
?

Regards.

Locutus73
May sound stupid but somebody putting it like that was a lot better than trying to make sense of the GitGub page.

All done and installed, what is next if you do not mind me asking?

Many many thanks so far :)
Locutus73
Core Developer

Washac wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:48 pm May sound stupid but somebody putting it like that was a lot better than trying to make sense of the GitGub page.

Now you have all prerequisites, so you can proceed with the instructions in the usage section
https://github.com/michaelshmitty/SD-In ... STer#usage
open the terminal, launch

git clone https://github.com/michaelshmitty/SD-Installer-macos_MiSTer.git
and follow all the instructions.

Regards.

Locutus73
SmaMan

Unread post by SmaMan »

Looks like they finally updated the Mac script at long last. When I did it, it was over a year old and all the file structure had changed significantly with many of the cores. Luckily, that was easy to fix.

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt especially if you're not familiar with Terminal commands. Just take it one line at a time, and you'll get it up and running soon enough.
smaman.wordpress.com
Kreeblah

Unread post by Kreeblah »

Washac wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:27 am So what your saying is that if I were to get hold of say a 128GB pre installed card and make a backup .img of it I cannot restore

I think on the Atar-Forum there was/is an idiots guide to pre installing an SD Card on a Mac, but cannot get to that for now :(

If you had another card exactly the same size, it would work, but you'd be limited to the size of the original card since exFAT expansion isn't a thing. An IMG file is a block-level backup, and, if you're doing the whole card, that includes the filesystem and partition info.
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

Kreeblah wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:05 am
Washac wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:27 am So what your saying is that if I were to get hold of say a 128GB pre installed card and make a backup .img of it I cannot restore

If you had another card exactly the same size, it would work, but you'd be limited to the size of the original card since exFAT expansion isn't a thing. An IMG file is a block-level backup, and, if you're doing the whole card, that includes the filesystem and partition info.
Yes I understand that, I would restore the .img onto a card of the same size :)
Saying that I must admit I thought you could put on a bigger card also.
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

SmaMan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:48 pm Yeah, it's a pain in the butt especially if you're not familiar with Terminal commands. Just take it one line at a time, and you'll get it up and running soon enough.
Thanks for those words of encouragements appreciated :)
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

Locutus73 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:14 pm
Washac wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:48 pm May sound stupid but somebody putting it like that was a lot better than trying to make sense of the GitGub page.

Now you have all prerequisites, so you can proceed with the instructions in the usage section
https://github.com/michaelshmitty/SD-In ... STer#usage
open the terminal, launch

git clone https://github.com/michaelshmitty/SD-Installer-macos_MiSTer.git
and follow all the instructions.

Regards.

Locutus73
Thank you, as soon as I get a quiet minute or more I with proceed with caution :)
Locutus73
Core Developer

Washac wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 am Thank you, as soon as I get a quiet minute or more I with proceed with caution :)
Please let me know if you manage to make a new SD using macOS... now I'm curious.

Thank you.
Regards.

Locutus73
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

Locutus73 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 am
Washac wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 am Thank you, as soon as I get a quiet minute or more I with proceed with caution :)
Please let me know if you manage to make a new SD using macOS... now I'm curious.

Thank you.
Regards.

Locutus73
I will :)
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

Locutus73 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 am Please let me know if you manage to make a new SD using macOS... now I'm curious.

Thank you.
Regards.

Locutus73
OK I have an installed and working SD Card except for one hiccup which happened near the end
of the terminal install process when it wanted my password to proceed and the terminal would
not recognize my password so I restarted the process and the second time around it all went OK.

Thank you very very much for leading me through this really appreciated :)
replic_ant

Unread post by replic_ant »

I've just successfully (I hope) installed a new SD Card on my iMac today. Total noob...

I could only find one(!) guide video on YouTube for Mac users, which was very helpful.

https://youtu.be/yBYJw3KNiBc

It's a real shame there aren't more dedicated channels/videos for Mac users. :cry:

I'm still waiting for my boards to arrive, but does anyone know if it's possible to run the initial update script over WiFi? (with adapter).

The guide says to connect over ethernet, and run the update script. That will automatically install the latest versions of the MiSTer binary, Menu and Cores.

My router and TV are miles apart, so over ethernet is not really an easy option.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Washac

Unread post by Washac »

replic_ant wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:25 pm
I'm still waiting for my boards to arrive, but does anyone know if it's possible to run the initial update script over WiFi? (with adapter).

The guide says to connect over ethernet, and run the update script. That will automatically install the latest versions of the MiSTer binary, Menu and Cores.

My router and TV are miles apart, so over ethernet is not really an easy option.

Any advice is much appreciated!
You will have more chance of a reply by opening your own thread because this question has nothing to do with this thread.
replic_ant

Unread post by replic_ant »

Washac wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:46 pm You will have more chance of a reply by opening your own thread because this question has nothing to do with this thread.
My question relates to the final step/paragraph of the MiSTer SD card installer script for Mac OS on the GitHub, so was just trying to keep any relevant setup information together.

No matter, I’ll start my own thread.

:)