Sometimes a Direction Input Gets Stuck in Any Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
AmanoJacu

Sometimes a Direction Input Gets Stuck in Any Controller

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

Lately, sometimes I am playing and for a few seconds, a direction input acts like if it was always pressed. Or the directions don't work at all. Then it goes back to normal. I've had this issue with a lot of different controllers. As far as I know, this didn't happen until recently.

Any idea why this could be happening and any possible solution? I have mister plus from Antonio Villena. Thanks!

kubbie

Re: Sometimes a Direction Input Gets Stuck in Any Controller

Unread post by kubbie »

I have the same happen to me recently as well. Seems like some button is pressed on my controller but once I unplug my controller and plug back in it's ok.

PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

i have ran into this from time to time, with my old PSU and a newer meanwell PSU, using a daemonbite SNES adapter.
i originally thought it was related to a power dip, but now i think its related to the USB driver/logic on the MiSTer. ive never experienced this using a daemonbite on a rasp pi or on my computer.

like Kubbie said, if i unplug and replug the USB controller it fixes it.
it happens so infrequently its not a huge deal, but i have found this bug too

AmanoJacu

Thanks for the replies, I have this problem with different controllers, different PSUs and different USB ports. It happens quite frequently, and usually it solves itself in a few seconds, so I don't have time to plug/unplug, but it totally ruins the experience, specially in 2 player games.

I find strange it is only happening recently.

chanunnaki

Unread post by chanunnaki »

I've had this problem occur with me for years and I remember recently on youtube, it was either Lu or Pixel cherry ninja talking about the new white 8bitdo M30 and how it doesn't exhibit this behaviour anymore. I only personally encountered this issue with the 8bitdo M30 2.4Ghz USB.

I have a white M30 on order and I now have the genesis M30, but don't have a Genesis daemonbit or Megadrive SNAC yet.

AmanoJacu

chanunnaki wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:09 pm

I've had this problem occur with me for years and I remember recently on youtube, it was either Lu or Pixel cherry ninja talking about the new white 8bitdo M30 and how it doesn't exhibit this behaviour anymore. I only personally encountered this issue with the 8bitdo M30 2.4Ghz USB.

I have a white M30 on order and I now have the genesis M30, but don't have a Genesis daemonbit or Megadrive SNAC yet.

Yes, I have an 8bitdo M30 (black, from some years ago) and it shows this problem. I usually use it wired. Sometimes I have a hard time getting the mister to recognize it, or the buttons will work but not the directions. Usually pugging and unplugging makes it work, but at some points the directions stop working for a few seconds, as I said.

This happens with arcade sticks and other controllers as well.

pac

Unread post by pac »

Just switch the M30 to the MD Mini mode and the problem is solved. viewtopic.php?t=2413

Sorry if you've seen this for years, as there was a solution since day 1.

grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Have this on my pc 2/4 times a month but with keyboard and only in games.
As in on of the wasd keys gets "stuck" and keeps being stuck until i press the same OR any other key.

This started after i moved my pc and started using a 5m (google for caveman measurements) long usb cable.
So most likely a signal issue for me that almost never shows!

I have also had similar gamepad thing on ps4 with wireless and it was mostly keypresses or analog stick getting "stuck" at the press or how long the analog stick had moved, but there it did take 2-4 sec to resolve and nothing else did work(=Bluetooth crap out/reset even at less then an arms length away).

chanunnaki

Unread post by chanunnaki »

pac wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:51 pm

Just switch the M30 to the MD Mini mode and the problem is solved. viewtopic.php?t=2413

Sorry if you've seen this for years, as there was a solution since day 1.

The problem with M30 Genesis mode is that the MINUS button and the Heart button produce the same output, so it's simply not an ideal situation. Also, reality is that the Genesis Mini M30 defaults to Genesis mode which is where the problem occurred. So your solution wasn't helpful.