Unread post by FPGA64 »

2nd Build of the day with 2 pass render mode

Attachments
N64_20230826_2.rbf
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 153 times
cursedverses

Re: N64 Core

Unread post by cursedverses »

I wonder if it's time to set up a build bot like we had with the PSX? The speed this core is coming together is nothing short of astounding!

Djiem

Unread post by Djiem »

This is a miracle!

Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Oh my god! This looks perfect, it's funny how I love this look much more than the blurry mess of the OG hardware. This proably look sublime on CRT, I'm gonna test this on mine!

Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Is there anything in the options to set up a controller I seem to be missing? The core works great, I get Mario Kart to load. I can navigate the menus and select a race. But once the race starts only the buttons work and I can't steer the kart left or right. Tried a few controllers and have same problem

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

This seems to be a very major improvement release! So many games are looking way better... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzToQQq5WMo

Djiem

Unread post by Djiem »

Neocaron wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:05 pm

Oh my god! This looks perfect, it's funny how I love this look much more than the blurry mess of the OG hardware.

Makes it look like PSX.

rayman147

Unread post by rayman147 »

Confirmed - it's indeed sublime on CRT! :) Had a 4-player Mario Kart 64 tourney with the kiddos this morning on the ol' 36" Toshiba with component input from the analog I/O board. Glorious - so much fun! Can't thank Robert enough, it's pretty awe-inspiring to watch him sprint on this... :shock:

Neocaron wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:05 pm

Oh my god! This looks perfect, it's funny how I love this look much more than the blurry mess of the OG hardware. This proably look sublime on CRT, I'm gonna test this on mine!

rayman147

OK I have a curious issue, and wonder if anyone else is experiencing it... I bought the 8BitDo Mod Kit for Original N64 Controller with the rumble pack and the Hall Effect joystick swap, and I'm LOVING it however I cannot map C-Up and C-Left when using it with MiSTer (which is a super bummer when trying to use it with the new core). I've verified the buttons work fine, as I can connect it to my Mac and my PC and they map without issue. But on MiSTer it just doesn't register presses at all. Perhaps I am simply using it in the wrong mode or something, but it's curious to me and I was wondering if anyone else happened to have the kit and had a similar issue.

leosmendes

Unread post by leosmendes »

Aspie wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:13 pm

Is there anything in the options to set up a controller I seem to be missing? The core works great, I get Mario Kart to load. I can navigate the menus and select a race. But once the race starts only the buttons work and I can't steer the kart left or right. Tried a few controllers and have same problem

I'm using the m30 controller and I was able to play normally

Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

Looking to get a controller ready for when this core gets an official release.
I have the real thing (N64), so I could either use one of those N64 to USB adapters, and my own N64 controller - apparently, rumble, or memory adapters don't work.
Or, one of these,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075SYB1JX/

Probably has a bit of a cheap feel, going by the comments, and no rumble support, but for £20, and it's wired (so, less lag), doesn't seem like a bad deal.
I don't have a Nintendo online account, so can't get one of those official N64 wireless pads, although there are plenty on eBay for around £45 - £50, but that is still a lot for a controller.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Bristles wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:06 pm

Looking to get a controller ready for when this core gets an official release.
I have the real thing (N64), so I could either use one of those N64 to USB adapters, and my own N64 controller - apparently, rumble, or memory adapters don't work.
Or, one of these,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075SYB1JX/

Probably has a bit of a cheap feel, going by the comments, and no rumble support, but for £20, and it's wired (so, less lag), doesn't seem like a bad deal.
I don't have a Nintendo online account, so can't get one of those official N64 wireless pads, although there are plenty on eBay for around £45 - £50, but that is still a lot for a controller.

or this

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8bitdo ... controller

To replace the main board of the controller , update it to a Hall Effect joystick and make it wireless

Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

Thanks for that. I have been watching their mod kits for a while, and they have kits for a couple of other classic controllers. Problem is, they are US only, they haven't arrived in the UK.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Thats only from their store in China. Just plop an order in. Postage is free to the UK or at least was for me

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I just ordered one of these that is designed for N64 use and it will be here tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP9GH8VQ
I already have the same thing but the version that works directly with my N64 and I really like it, but unfortunately it does not have rumble. This one has rumble, so that is a nice bonus. Hopefully it will work with the MiSTer. It would also be cool if/when SNAC becomes available so I can use my original controllers directly. I have not tried this core yet, but since this latest release, I am looking forward to it!

Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

I use these, they're called Tribute 64 Wireless controllers:

20230826-213705.jpg
20230826-213705.jpg (235.25 KiB) Viewed 233602 times

They have:
-2.4GHz wireless
-Built-in rumble
-Rechargeable battery with USB Type-C charge
-USB Dongle (PC, MiSTer, Switch, etc..)
-N64 Dongle with Controller Pak (memory card) slot and a switch to choose rumble on the controller or Controller Pak in the dongle

Here's a video reviewing the different N64 wireless controller options:

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I did some more digging and the one I bought might require a cable to work with the PC mode. Edit: according the the website, it will work with a PC via bluetooth, yay! I will try it when I get it to see how it works with the MiSTer. I may switch it for the Tribute 64 if it doesn't work wirelessly. The nice thing about the Tribute is I can use it as an additional controller for my N64 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHJsLB5IGEE
Here is another video comparing the two, with the older version that I have of the wireless Brawler 64. I don't have the pairing/dropout issues he had, and the Tribute Z/L/R button swapping he mentioned is available through a firmware update. I haven't noticed issues triple jumping in Super Mario 64 either, but I hadn't looked for it. I do like the feel of the Brawler 64 with the bigger D-pad and C-buttons, and the way it feels when holding the controller. I think you can't go wrong with either option, but if the Brawler doesn't work with bluetooth, that is a showstopper, but (edit), it should work.

Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

leosmendes wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:12 pm
Aspie wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:13 pm

I'm using the m30 controller and I was able to play normally

I was able to fix the issue by going into the main MiSTer menu and redefining the keys on my controller

Phoenix

Unread post by Phoenix »

I can confirm that the Tribute 64 Wireless controller is working great on Mister too ;) (tested using its dongle)

My advice for the mapping: map the Z button on "ZL" (LT / L2) and the R button on both "R" (RB / R1) and "ZR" (RT / R2).

• If a game is meant to be handled by the first handle (the one with the cross): you have the classic L / R buttons position.

• If a game is meant to be handled by the first handle (the one with the stick): you still have a comfortable position with the ZL / ZR buttons.

Djiem

Unread post by Djiem »

Phoenix wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:14 am

I can confirm that the Tribute 64 Wireless controller is working great on Mister too ;) (tested using its dongle)

My advice for the mapping: map the Z button on "ZL" (LT / L2) and the R button on both "R" (RB / R1) and "ZR" (RT / R2).

• If a game is meant to be handled by the first handle (the one with the cross): you have the classic L / R buttons position.

• If a game is meant to be handled by the first handle (the one with the stick): you still have a comfortable position with the ZL / ZR buttons.

Out of curiosity, does it work wired too?

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I have tested the Brawler64 Bluetooth NSO Edition, and it does NOT work with the MiSTer. When connected via USB, it doesn't even show up in 'lsusb' and it does not respond to inputs. It will pair via Bluetooth, but it is not responsive to button presses when trying to map it.

I will return it and get the Tribute 64.

Waifu4Life

Djiem wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:15 pm

Out of curiosity, does it work wired too?

USB is for charging only. Mind you, you can charge during gameplay.

Waifu4Life

Anybody else is getting a squashed-down MiSTer menu in the N64 core when using a consumer based CRT (YPbPr)?

capitaineflam25

Unread post by capitaineflam25 »

Waifu4Life wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:47 am

Anybody else is getting a squashed-down MiSTer menu in the N64 core when using a consumer based CRT (YPbPr)?

Yes, since the latest two releases (I'm using RGBs on a PVM)

rayman147

Waifu4Life wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:47 am

Yep, same – last 2 releases do this on load. After loading a working game, it clears up and works as usual until you load a non-working game, and then it seems to revert back to the squish. Haven't verified if this is consistent or intermittent though.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

This is a core under active development which the author isnt placing behind a patreon wall. CRT output isnt a current priority since the dev is trying to get the system working.

Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Yeah I agree with FPGA64 for once! XD
It's important to maintain realistic expectations. The fact that Robert is consistently sharing even the smallest updates to the core with the community is truly a remarkable privilege that we should all appreciate.The fact it's running well on most CRT at this stage is even surprising especially given the substantial effort it took to optimize the PSX core for CRT displays in the past.

capitaineflam25

Unread post by capitaineflam25 »

Waifu4Life and i weren't complaining, it was just an observation. (So other CRT owners know there is nothing wrong with their setup, it's just a temporary regression)

leosmendes

Unread post by leosmendes »

FPGA64 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:49 am

Much improved graphics. Note its still in progress

use https://vampier.net/N64/ for a FAQ on how to setup

hello FPGA64, thanks for your work on the faq site. I can't participate in the discord, could you also put the builds that are showing up on your site?

Waifu4Life

capitaineflam25 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:07 pm

Waifu4Life and i weren't complaining, it was just an observation. (So other CRT owners know there is nothing wrong with their setup, it's just a temporary regression)

Exactly, not really sure why these people are jumping the gun to white knight, but they should learn the difference between someone asking a question and making a demand.