Direct Video, Help Needed

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Malan

Direct Video, Help Needed

Unread post by Malan »

I followed this guide, but no matter what I try, I can't get any signal on any of my CRTs with any of my adapters so far, so I think I need some help to understand what I'm doing wrong.

For context, I have 2 CRTs, one is a consumer 15Khz TV with RGB SCART and the other is a PC monitor with VGA.
I'm using an analog board for now and everything works as intended with both CRTs, but I would like to switch to dual SDRAM in the future.

I bought 2 different HDMI/VGA adapters from different brands, one has a jack output and the other one doesn't. Both have an AG6200 chip (I've teared them apart to check) and they work fine with my Nintendo Switch and PCs, but not with the MiSTer in direct video mode.

I've set direct_video=1, composite_sync=1 and I even tried to use a VGA to SCART adapter (which combine HV sync to composite sync) but still no signal whatsoever.

Before I buy a third adapter, I would like to know if I missed something...

Thanks.

callanabrown

Re: Direct Video, Help Needed

Unread post by callanabrown »

Did you plug in the 5v power to the HDMI/VGA adapter? No signal whatsoever doesn't make a lot of sense.

Malan

Unread post by Malan »

I meant no video signal, the adapter has no power input, it's passive, like the one you can see on the guide.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Try to update your mister.ini, in case you still have old one without "vga_mode=": https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini

That VGA2SCART adapter isn't necessary for Direct Video, only to be able use modelines with DV, so you should get display on most cores anyway. Could be you're really unlucky with both HDMI dongles (rare, but not unheard of) or your TV just hates DV (ditto). What model is it?

callanabrown

Unread post by callanabrown »

Malan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:32 pm

I meant no video signal, the adapter has no power input, it's passive, like the one you can see on the guide.

Mine have 5V input on the other side. Maybe you need one with power to work with MiSTer. On Amazon with an unpowered one it says:

"2)Not Compatible with low voltage HDMI Devices

NOT compatible with Blu-ray, PS4, Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display, Mac mini, and Apple TV.
Those devices are low voltage HDMI source, could not provide enough power for chipset through HDMI slot. Another solution, HDMI to VGA with external power input is required."

Malan

Unread post by Malan »

akeley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:55 pm

Try to update your mister.ini, in case you still have old one without "vga_mode=": https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini

That VGA2SCART adapter isn't necessary for Direct Video, only to be able use modelines with DV, so you should get display on most cores anyway. Could be you're really unlucky with both HDMI dongles (rare, but not unheard of) or your TV just hates DV (ditto). What model is it?

That was a good idea but it's not working either.

callanabrown wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:54 am
Malan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:32 pm

Mine have 5V input on the other side. Maybe you need one with power to work with MiSTer. On Amazon with an unpowered one it says:

"2)Not Compatible with low voltage HDMI Devices

NOT compatible with Blu-ray, PS4, Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display, Mac mini, and Apple TV.
Those devices are low voltage HDMI source, could not provide enough power for chipset through HDMI slot. Another solution, HDMI to VGA with external power input is required."

I'll try this one if as a last resort if anything else is not working then.

Thanks for your suggestions.