Sega Saturn Core in Development

Pepeart

Re: Sega Saturn Core in Development

Unread post by Pepeart »

I had a similar problem with my old ram stick, I ordered the purple one from Portugal and fixed all my problems with the Saturn core

Malan wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:36 pm

Yes I have the Redump version, I downloaded the last MiSTer unstable on Discord and put it manually on the SD fat folder.

Yes I tried to put everything locally but same thing.

Question, is it normal that there is no loading bar screen on this core? Just to be sure.

PS: I just test the latest N64 core and it's working fine. Only the Saturn core gives me troubles now °°

Malan

Unread post by Malan »

I just did a fresh install with MiSTer Fusion on a new SD card, same problem with the core. Well, maybe it's the SDRAM indeed, but I don't want to spend money for a new RAM module just for this beta core right now, so I'll wait for the release :/
Thanks anyway guys!

grendelw

Unread post by grendelw »

Does Panzer Dragoon Saga need dual ram to work? I'm getting it freezing during the intro and I only have one stick

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

A New build with improved Ram Handler

Attachments
Saturn_DualSDRAM_unstable_20230919_10ddaf.rbf
(4.37 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
Saturn_SingleSDRAM_unstable_20230919_10ddaf.rbf
(4.39 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

I was curious so I tested the core with Antonio 4 cells SDram module and many games are now booting if you insist quite a bit, I already bought another SDram a while back but for people who didn't it's a good news! (Game tested are Daytonna, Biohazard, Alien Trilogy, Rayman). It's still far from perfect but last time I tested basically no game were working and the bios would 90% of the time never finish its startup loop.

Malan

Unread post by Malan »

This build is working for me too! I must insist a bit too (it works better when I open and close the MiSTer menu when the game is launching for some reason). The sound is not working (only a few seconds and then nothing) but I can finally try this core! I tested NiGHTS, Sega Rally, Sonic R, Burning Rangers, all playable!

So I really had a RAM issue.

Anyway thank you srg320 :)

Atohmdiy

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

The core has made great progress lately, it's very impressive. We are getting closer of a Beta i suppose :)

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

There is also an unstable Mister change for more improvements. Get it where you usually get it from

srimok

Unread post by srimok »

I've been trying to get this core working for awhile without any success whatsoever. I always assumed it was a ram issue like has been mentioned many times before but for the first time I saw this mentioned on the github "Note: For both builds the primary SDRAM module must be 128MB (i.e. with two chips)!" Is this still true? I only have the 32mb module and I never saw anyone mention needing 128mb anywhere.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

srimok wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:53 pm

I've been trying to get this core working for awhile without any success whatsoever. I always assumed it was a ram issue like has been mentioned many times before but for the first time I saw this mentioned on the github "Note: For both builds the primary SDRAM module must be 128MB (i.e. with two chips)!" Is this still true? I only have the 32mb module and I never saw anyone mention needing 128mb anywhere.

If the Dev states that on his Github then its the truth.

roel27

Unread post by roel27 »

This core deserves its own forum group, it’s close to a playable beta. I’m using the (old) 2.5 128 ram module and compared to the 2.9 ram it freezes on more games (like cotton and radiant silvergun), but many other games are playable now. Let’s hope that this core will support both ram modules.
It’s also great that I can use a ps3 usb wired arcade stick on the mister to play certain Saturn games.

Schuetze1111

Unread post by Schuetze1111 »

I have 2 x 2.9 128MB RAM modules. Unfortunately the "MiSTer" always does a reset and goes back to the main menu when I try to start the dual ram core. The single core works without any problems.

„The old Dual Core from August works fine“

Sorry for my English , its from Google

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Schuetze1111 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:32 pm

I have 2 x 2.9 128MB RAM modules. Unfortunately the "MiSTer" always does a reset and goes back to the main menu when I try to start the dual ram core. The single core works without any problems.

„The old Dual Core from August works fine“

Sorry for my English , its from Google

you havent set the switches on the DE10

https://misterfpga.co.uk/dual-sdram-mister-fpga/

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

roel27 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:24 pm

This core deserves its own forum group, it’s close to a playable beta. I’m using the (old) 2.5 128 ram module and compared to the 2.9 ram it freezes on more games (like cotton and radiant silvergun), but many other games are playable now. Let’s hope that this core will support both ram modules.
It’s also great that I can use a ps3 usb wired arcade stick on the mister to play certain Saturn games.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also have the 2.5 128 ram module and I can confirm that both Cotton and Radiant Silvergun won't start at all. All the other games I have tested they all work.
What a great improvement with the latest update from Srg.

Thanks so much Srg for your continuous hard commitments given your situation. Very much appreciated!

Schuetze1111

Unread post by Schuetze1111 »

FPGA64 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:13 pm
Schuetze1111 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:32 pm

Ich habe 2x 2,9 128 MB RAM-Module. Leider führt der "Mister" immer einen Reset durch und geht zurück zum Hauptmenü, wenn ich versuche, den Dual-Ram-Kern zu starten. Der einzelne Kern funktioniert ohne Probleme. "Der alte Dual Core von August funktioniert gut" Tut mir leid für mein Englisch, es ist von Google [/Zitat] Sie haben die Schalter auf dem DE10 nicht eingestellt https://misterfpga.co.uk/dual-sdram-mister-fpga/ [/Zitat]

Yeah , thank You very much

jurkevicz

Unread post by jurkevicz »

Another Great Update!

Attachments
Saturn_DS_20230922.rbf
(4.38 MiB) Downloaded 137 times
Saturn_20230922.rbf
(4.4 MiB) Downloaded 216 times
Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

The recent progress is fantastic. A lot games are working nearly perfect now. The latest core also has sound for Sega Ages Out Run (standalone with hidden 60fps support).

Corbot3000

Unread post by Corbot3000 »

Apologies if this has already been discussed recently, but are there still plans to eventually add .chd support? I appreciate all the work that's been done on this core!

Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

Yes, CHD support is definitely on the list of things to do, probably soon now that the core is running a lot more smoothly.

pomegran

Unread post by pomegran »

Well, I think it's at the point where I'd like to give it a go ...

My Mister has a 128mb module, 2 chip, v2.4. Is this ok? It really was a long time ago I switched to 128mb (blame NeoGeo support! :D )

Thanks

tonyabell313

Unread post by tonyabell313 »

hello , does anybody know why when I start up the Saturn core it just says drive door open ?
I have tried multiple updates , and multiple bios files from hisaturn to the European bios, and can't get the core to go any further . than the main screen . never had any issues with any other cores on mister , just this one.

any suggestions would be appreciated . have tried all the menu options .

pomegran

pomegran wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:21 am

Well, I think it's at the point where I'd like to give it a go ...

My Mister has a 128mb module, 2 chip, v2.4. Is this ok? It really was a long time ago I switched to 128mb (blame NeoGeo support! :D )

Thanks

I'll quote my own post! Just tried it with Sega Rally and Baku Baku Animal and it runs sweet as anything using yesterday's build. Time to try some others ....

Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

I’ve finally got sound working on OutRun, that’s on single RAM with the latest build.

MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

I see on srg320's Twitter there's a note that the 20230922 update has "Fix bios loading."

I wanted to see if the boot.bin quirk was fixed, so I renamed it back to boot.rom. Tada! No more manually loading the bios. No more "BIOS NOT FOUND" error. Just boot the core with the boot.rom file in the Saturn directory again, and start gaming!! :)

sonic68010

Unread post by sonic68010 »

grendelw wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:53 pm

Does Panzer Dragoon Saga need dual ram to work? I'm getting it freezing during the intro and I only have one stick

It works for me! Single RAM.

pomegran

tonyabell313 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:08 pm

hello , does anybody know why when I start up the Saturn core it just says drive door open ?
I have tried multiple updates , and multiple bios files from hisaturn to the European bios, and can't get the core to go any further . than the main screen . never had any issues with any other cores on mister , just this one.

any suggestions would be appreciated . have tried all the menu options .

I tried it for the first time yesterday with no problems, so here are some pointers:

1. I used this tutorial by the way to get me started: https://youtu.be/_gJ58RpQln0?si=8YnsPdNgn9r9oDIA
  2. Which bios are you using? I used the Japanese Hi-Saturn bios
  3. What happens when you "Run application" on the menu options (I think top left)?
  4. You're definitely running the unstable Mister build, right?
tonyabell313

Unread post by tonyabell313 »

Cheers for the response, I have tried the Japanese 1.0 and 1.1 , European, USA both 1.0 , the hi Saturn and v Saturn bios files . Get the same issue on all of em . Did notice a message get flashed up sometimes ' cd bios not found ' .

I've Been using the latest the latest unstable mister build , although another one was released yesterday I think . ..

I will try the start application button , I'm assuming it's on the Saturn's console .

I have also had this issue across a number of core updates .

Cheers buddy

pomegran

tonyabell313 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:27 am

Cheers for the response, I have tried the Japanese 1.0 and 1.1 , European, USA both 1.0 , the hi Saturn and v Saturn bios files . Get the same issue on all of em . Did notice a message get flashed up sometimes ' cd bios not found ' .

I've Been using the latest the latest unstable mister build , although another one was released yesterday I think . ..

I will try the start application button , I'm assuming it's on the Saturn's console .

I have also had this issue across a number of core updates .

Cheers buddy

Yeah, the application start is the first icon on the top left of options.

I can you tell you the exact version of the bios I am using too if you need it (but it seems you've exhausted those).

I assume you've renamed your Mister file to pick up the unstable version?

Lastly, it will not run CHDs so I assume you're using the redump versions of the games?

I know these are all simple, and you may have already done them, but I have to ask!

Best of luck!

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

...I'm currently testing a few dumps and everything seems to be working well using GameNavi HiSaturn 1.03 (RF) (SHA1: fb15bbea4a4a2542499352b292e7e0d96def40ec) as boot.rom

Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

RealLarry wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:00 pm

...I'm currently testing a few dumps and everything seems to be working well using GameNavi HiSaturn 1.03 (RF) (SHA1: fb15bbea4a4a2542499352b292e7e0d96def40ec) as boot.rom

Although i dont like the boot animation, that bios is working fine here too.

I hope we can use the USA bios/animation soon. And centering options for CRTs would come handy too.

Great development so far !