rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Sega Saturn Core in Development

Unread post by rhester72 »

The USA bios works just fine.

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

There are Region Free Versions of all Bioses. Search on reddit and check out the comments.

Reg

Unread post by Reg »

Had to swap my ram and now this is working perfectly with "MiSTer SDRAM XS-DS v3.0 128MB Module" from https://misterfpga.co.uk/.

Previously I was using a v2.5 128MB module, not sure of what the differences are - but for all the pleasure the MiSTer gives me, this is a wholesome upgrade and worth every penny.

Able to use the update saturn script to get the latest running core - now I can play Bubble Symphony ( or however it's spelt ) brilliantly. When I first tried the Saturn core a long while ago there was a lot of crackling, now that is gone ! :)

pomegran

Unread post by pomegran »

Reg wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:50 am

Had to swap my ram and now this is working perfectly with "MiSTer SDRAM XS-DS v3.0 128MB Module" from https://misterfpga.co.uk/.

Previously I was using a v2.5 128MB module, not sure of what the differences are - but for all the pleasure the MiSTer gives me, this is a wholesome upgrade and worth every penny.

Able to use the update saturn script to get the latest running core - now I can play Bubble Symphony ( or however it's spelt ) brilliantly. When I first tried the Saturn core a long while ago there was a lot of crackling, now that is gone ! :)

What issues were you getting? I've only played Sega Rally and Baku Baku so far but they worked really well. I use a v2.4 128MB RAM module (2 chip)

3style

Unread post by 3style »

pomegran wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:44 am

What issues were you getting? I've only played Sega Rally and Baku Baku so far but they worked really well. I use a v2.4 128MB RAM module (2 chip)

Same in my case with the 2.5 ram module. This week I received the 3.0 ram module and finally I could play games like Cotton 2 and other shooters.

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

3style wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:31 am
pomegran wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:44 am

Same in my case with the 2.5 ram module. This week I received the 3.0 ram module and finally I could play games like Cotton 2 and other shooters.

+1
I am finally enjoying Radiant Silvergun, Cotton and Sky Target with a new 128MB 3.0 SDRAM module!

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

do you still get some mild crackling in between the levels on bubble symphony? I notiiced its much improved but without taking apart my heber multisystem board im not sure what ram is in mine.

charmless

Unread post by charmless »

metalfacemark wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:51 pm

do you still get some mild crackling in between the levels on bubble symphony? I notiiced its much improved but without taking apart my heber multisystem board im not sure what ram is in mine.

I get that with my 3.0 and with my 2.5. Also with dual ram.

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

Alkadian
Top Contributor

charmless wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:04 pm

I comfirm the same behaviour with my 3.0. What an awesome game :mrgreen:

I have just realized that I get no sound with Radiant Silvergun just a bit of japanese speech at the very beginning of the game. But hey I can't complain at all as it never worked before! But I would apprecciate if someone could confirm it. Thanks.

charmless

Unread post by charmless »

Alkadian wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:19 pm

I have just realized that I get no sound with Radiant Silvergun just a bit of japanese speech at the very beginning of the game. But hey I can't complain at all as it never worked before! But I would apprecciate if someone could confirm it. Thanks.

Same here 🙂

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

Alkadian
Top Contributor

charmless wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:47 pm
Alkadian wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:19 pm

Same here 🙂

Thanks for confiming! :D

Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

In Elevator Action Returns (JP), at the beginning of the first stage when you get a few floors down the building explodes a helicopter shows up. In my use of the core the audio gets distorted for several seconds.

Same thing happens in stage two when you get outside (on top) of the terminal.

Does this happen to anyone else? I've tried two different bin/cue images.

_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

Stupid Dufus wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:55 am

In Elevator Action Returns (JP), at the beginning of the first stage when you get a few floors down the building explodes a helicopter shows up. In my use of the core the audio gets distorted for several seconds.

Same thing happens in stage two when you get outside (on top) of the terminal.

Does this happen to anyone else? I've tried two different bin/cue images.

Yes, i can confirm that.
And i dont remember that happening before.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Its an alpha core. Things will be fixed things will break thats just the way it is

Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Another build has been released by Srg320:

SH2:

-fix completion TAS memory cycles during reset (Virtua Cop demo freeze)

-fix MAC instructions (Sega Touring Car Championship)

VDP1: fix draw Normal sprite (Space Jam)

VDP2:

-fix Line Cell Scroll function in interlace mode (Grandia)

-fix transparent for Sprite data

SCSP: remove reset logic from memory controller (Last Bronx demo freeze)

SCU:

-fix DMA indirect data reads (Rabbit)

-fix simultaneous access to ABUS and BBUS (Grandia, JP bios)

SMPC: fix timing for CKCHG/ SYSRES commands (Terry Pratchett's Discworld)

Add support for PAL regions.

Dual SDRAM

Saturn_DS_20231004.zip
(2.2 MiB) Downloaded 102 times

Single SDRAM

Saturn_20231004.zip
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 158 times
metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

I noticed playing sega rally last night that previously the music would stop on the first track, now it plays throughout the game.

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

I have been using the dual sdram core for awhile now, but just started testing with single sdram, is there any difference in the latest builds? I haven't been able to tell the difference yet.

tonyabell313

Unread post by tonyabell313 »

Hello , well I've just updated the saturn core again , gone with the navihi saturn bios 1.03 , tried to boot Baku Baku animal ( not in chd fromat ) a message comes up ' cd bios not found ' and the usual drive door open pops up . The unstable mister build is on here renamed to mister .

Tried to top left option which is the cd g track selecter. I have now gone through all the options on the mister menu and the Saturn's on screen buttons . Still can't get it to load anything cus the bloody drive door is open 🤣

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

tonyabell313 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:22 pm

Hello , well I've just updated the saturn core again , gone with the navihi saturn bios 1.03 , tried to boot Baku Baku animal ( not in chd fromat ) a message comes up ' cd bios not found ' and the usual drive door open pops up . The unstable mister build is on here renamed to mister .

Tried to top left option which is the cd g track selecter. I have now gone through all the options on the mister menu and the Saturn's on screen buttons . Still can't get it to load anything cus the bloody drive door is open 🤣

CHD is not supported, yet

Zagg3r

Unread post by Zagg3r »

tonyabell313 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:22 pm

I had the same "Drive door open" error, but I found it was caused by bad game dumps.
I downloaded a few games from the "redump" set on Archive and all are booting.
Note: Booting, not 100% working... Most don't go much further than the boot sequence.

wrote:

Don't bother. If you get the "drive open" you won't get the "start application" button.

I have a question: Is there any way to set the clock correctly?
It does usually have invalid values (day/month set to 0), and this seems to affect the success in booting a game.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Zagg3r wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:30 pm

I had the same "Drive door open" error, but I found it was caused by bad game dumps.
I downloaded a few games from the "redump" set on Archive and all are booting.
Note: Booting, not 100% working... Most don't go much further than the boot sequence.

Something's wrong, then. Most boot no issue.

wrote:

I have a question: Is there any way to set the clock correctly?
It does usually have invalid values (day/month set to 0), and this seems to affect the success in booting a game.

This has nothing to do with booting, either. More often than not, if ANY boot, but most don't, it's faulty RAM.

Zagg3r

Unread post by Zagg3r »

rhester72 wrote:

Something's wrong, then. Most boot no issue.

As I wrote, booting is not the problem. The fact that most don't work it's probably due to the non compatible RAM module.

wrote:

This has nothing to do with booting, either. More often than not, if ANY boot, but most don't, it's faulty RAM.

Yes, I agree the RAM is not compatible (not faulty).
But I get the impression that by setting a valid date I could go a bit further... Probably just an impression.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Zagg3r wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:57 am

As I wrote, booting is not the problem. The fact that most don't work it's probably due to the non compatible RAM module.

Indeed. With proper RAM, the core now enjoys EXTREMELY high compatibility, to the point that issues are somewhat rare and difficult to identify.

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

rhester72 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:08 am

With proper RAM, the core now enjoys EXTREMELY high compatibility

Is v2.4/v2.5 RAM working fine yet? Or does v2.9/v3.0 still provide better results? I have a v2.4 module that runs stable around 143Mhz in the memory test core.

I've been waiting for the Saturn public release to try it out.

rhester72
Top Contributor

I'm on a mix of v2.5 and v2.9.

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

rhester72 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:14 am

I'm on a mix of v2.5 and v2.9.

On two separate MiSTers? Or Dual RAM setup with the v2.5 in the second slot?

rhester72
Top Contributor

Dual RAM, v2.5 in the second slot.

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

After doing some tests, It seems there is no difference in dual sdram vs single sdram anymore when using compatible sdram. Maybe if you had non compatible ram, dual sdram would help.

wookeekee

Unread post by wookeekee »

mike911 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:17 pm

After doing some tests, It seems there is no difference in dual sdram vs single sdram anymore when using compatible sdram. Maybe if you had non compatible ram, dual sdram would help.

If single or dual sdram makes no difference, what version should be used for best compatibility?

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

It should be simple. If you have dual sdram use that version. If not use single. As of now, I wouldn't upgrade to dual sdram just for saturn core, it seems it makes no difference. But as long as srg320 says otherwise or it is no longer recommended in the project readme, I will keep mine in dual sdram.