N64 Core

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: N64 Core

Unread post by FPGA64 »

You are missing the database file or you have it cased incorrectly.

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

FPGA64 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:58 am

You are missing the database file or you have it cased incorrectly.

Yes, one would think so. But i have downloaded it several times and made sure it's typed correctly. Even Vampier's lines in downloader.ini won't help.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

well Autodetect fail is either a core thats so old it doesnt know about the changes which seems unlikely or a missing database file.

You are sure the file is called N64-database.txt

and is present in the root directory of the N64 along with the 3 bios files ?

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

FPGA64 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:34 am

well Autodetect fail is either a core thats so old it doesnt know about the changes which seems unlikely or a missing database file.

You are sure the file is called N64-database.txt

and is present in the root directory of the N64 along with the 3 bios files ?

Hi. Yes, it is N64-database.txt. The N64 core i'm using is the latest one from 23.10. I have tried few older ones too. I have the unstable mister in use and also have the bios files in games/N64 directory :?

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

After deleting everything N64 related and running update_all again it's now fixed.

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

Hmm.. Played some Mario and after loading Turok, the core crashed and now even loading the core freezes Mister. Maybe the core is still this buggy and better give it some time to mature?

leosmendes

Unread post by leosmendes »

Some games are already running well, others are not, enjoy as you can....

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Any Game using TLB will fail as it hasnt been done yet. Mario needs to be patched to remove the tlb element to currently run

Read

https://vampier.net/N64/

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

Mario works correctly after patching yes, and 1080 snowboarding works too. Not much luck with other games. I've noticed that sometimes when i run a game rom that does not work, i have to delete N64.cfg file, or else the whole core stays bugged and won't get me even to core menu.

Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Zelda OOT works great. Completed it a few weeks ago

xFlesk

Unread post by xFlesk »

hmmm, with a latest version of the core (N64_20231025.rbf) and the latest mister main nigthly i cant play any games. core does not see any files in my zip's. someone have the same problem ?

TheCompany.pl - Amiga EXE Games
MrCaution

Unread post by MrCaution »

xFlesk wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:26 pm

hmmm, with a latest version of the core (N64_20231025.rbf) and the latest mister main nigthly i cant play any games. core does not see any files in my zip's. someone have the same problem ?

Yes, CHD files won’t load from my USB drive. No problem with games on the SD card. It will see the folder but the file is missing

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

xFlesk wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:26 pm

\

No issue with zips for me. Are you sure you are using zips and not 7zips. Mister cant use 7zip

Seems I was a few behind

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/842

describes the issue

xFlesk

Unread post by xFlesk »

the thing is, everything was working just before an update (i used N64update script)
now i see nothing in my zip's.

TheCompany.pl - Amiga EXE Games
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

xFlesk wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:12 pm

the thing is, everything was working just before an update (i used N64update script)
now i see nothing in my zip's.

I linked the known issue on Github. The latest unstable cant handle zips. Give it a few hours/days and it will be sorted

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Sorg has issued a fix

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... 0e1af9a651

So the latest mister unstable should return normality

sea-fog

Unread post by sea-fog »

Guys, I am absolutely at my wit's end with this. I have the latest N64 core with the script updates. I CANNOT get most of the games to play. Some of them do; Mario Kart 64 for example. But most of the ROMS don't load, even ones that are confirmed working. When I load them I just get a black screen. The MiSTer doesn't crash, it just doesn't load the game. All ROMS are from the same reliable source and work in an emulator. I do get "auto-detect failed" for every game I open, even the ones that work fine.

I think its a BIOS problem, but I can't figure it out. I've tried numerous BIOS files and no change. Just like the instructions on Vampier.net, I have the US/JP bios file renamed to boot.rom and the EU file renamed to boot1.rom. Both are in the N64 games folder. Both files are 1984 bytes in size.

I also tried adding normslp.rom and normpnt.rom to the folder and that didn't change anything. Those two files are 128bytes. I also have a pifdata.bin file that is 2048bytes, but I don't remember what that was. I have N64-database.txt and DataBase_20231010170206.txt

ANY IDEAS!?

leosmendes

Unread post by leosmendes »

sea-fog wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:38 pm

Guys, I am absolutely at my wit's end with this. I have the latest N64 core with the script updates. I CANNOT get most of the games to play. Some of them do; Mario Kart 64 for example. But most of the ROMS don't load, even ones that are confirmed working. When I load them I just get a black screen. The MiSTer doesn't crash, it just doesn't load the game. All ROMS are from the same reliable source and work in an emulator. I do get "auto-detect failed" for every game I open, even the ones that work fine.

I think its a BIOS problem, but I can't figure it out. I've tried numerous BIOS files and no change. Just like the instructions on Vampier.net, I have the US/JP bios file renamed to boot.rom and the EU file renamed to boot1.rom. Both are in the N64 games folder. Both files are 1984 bytes in size.

I also tried adding normslp.rom and normpnt.rom to the folder and that didn't change anything. Those two files are 128bytes. I also have a pifdata.bin file that is 2048bytes, but I don't remember what that was. I have N64-database.txt and DataBase_20231010170206.txt

ANY IDEAS!?

I believe the problem is your roms, I went through this, but I downloaded a package of roms recently and they all work as expected now...

Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

All ROMS are from the same reliable source and work in an emulator.

That just means that emulator likes those roms. There are standards out there like 'redump' and 'No-Intro'.

I do get "auto-detect failed" for every game I open, even the ones that work fine.

Well there is your hint mate. Your roms are not recognized and therefore not configured properly. So that reliable source you mentioned apparently does not include MiSTer compatibility.

Now you could start messing with Little Big Endian conversion and all other forms of byte swapping, but re-downloading them would be a much simpler option. cough archive cough .org

Good luck, I'm sure things will work out ;)

sea-fog

Unread post by sea-fog »

I didn’t realize there was a difference in ROM compatibility. I have always found Vimm’s to be reliable, but I will check the archive. How do I even check MiSTer compatibility?

sea-fog

Unread post by sea-fog »

Update:

Tried the archive roms. Still no change. Some work, some don't. I still get "auto-detect failed" for every game. Tried using the Bios that came with the ROMs, and it didn't change a thing. Maybe I just reinstall the core?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

sea-fog wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:04 am

Update:

Tried the archive roms. Still no change. Some work, some don't. I still get "auto-detect failed" for every game. Tried using the Bios that came with the ROMs, and it didn't change a thing. Maybe I just reinstall the core?

Auto Detect fail means you dont have the database installed or you have it cased incorrectly or in the wrong location.

sea-fog

Unread post by sea-fog »

I tried deleting the database file and reinstalled using updater. Same thing, every game says auto-detect failed. I don’t get. I’m certain I have the supported ROM for Diddy Kong Racing, but it boots to a black screen. There doesn’t seem to be anything else for me to fix.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

The database is based of the No Intro z64 set.

Add the following 2 lines to the end of /media/fat/downloader.ini

Code: Select all

[n64_dev]
db_url = https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RobertPeip/Mister64/db/db.json.zip

and run update all if your roms dont work after then you have a bad rom set

sea-fog

Unread post by sea-fog »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:55 am

The database is based of the No Intro z64 set.

Add the following 2 lines to the end of /media/fat/downloader.ini

Code: Select all

[n64_dev]
db_url = https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RobertPeip/Mister64/db/db.json.zip

and run update all if your roms dont work after then you have a bad rom set

I have the in the downloader.ini; that's how I get the updates. I'll keep trying more ROMs, but pretty certain I have the correct ones. Frustrating.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

The other thing is how are you transferring your roms to the N64

If you are using Filezilla then I bet you havent turned on binary mode in the transfer options. Of course a Better option is WinSCP which handles things properly

metal_slugger

Unread post by metal_slugger »

If I install this manually, will it be automatically removed / updated when the core becomes officially available with update_all?
Thanks

sea-fog

Unread post by sea-fog »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:21 pm

If you are using Filezilla then I bet you havent turned on binary mode in the transfer options. Of course a Better option is WinSCP which handles things properly

Wait, yes! I am using FileZilla! I will try this now!!!

sea-fog

Unread post by sea-fog »

sea-fog wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:37 pm
FPGA64 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:21 pm

Wait, yes! I am using FileZilla! I will try this now!!!

Well, that got me excited, but no change. "auto-detect failed" on every game, some load, some boot to black screen. I'm using the no-intro big endian ROMs. I don't know what it could be. Perfect example, Mario Party 1 and 2 work fine, Mario Party 3 boots to black screen. All three are on the supported list.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

No idea then if you used binary mode on the transfer and you are using the No Intro set then I dont know what else to say. Just make sure your roms are in zips and not in 7Zips is my only last resort

The No Intro sets tend to be distributed as 7zip

you need to attach a screenshot of your N64 directory