Input Configuration

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
loki666

Input Configuration

Unread post by loki666 »

Hi,

I'm currently building a 2 player DIY arcade cabinet and I was wondering how to assign players controls (standard stick + 6 buttons + 2 buttons) as fixed controls (left side for P1 and right side for P2)

Each players controls will be hooked to their own USB adapter.

I saw in Mister.ini config file the options 'player_X_controller', but since both adapters will have same vid/pid I was wondering how to configure it?

Thanks

Bristles

Re: Input Configuration

Unread post by Bristles »

On my AtGames Legends Ultimate Control Panel, where there are duplicate controls for Player1, and Player 2, I had to use the following in my MiSTer.ini file.

; Disable merging input devices. Use if only player 1 works.
; Leave no_merge_pid empty to apply this to all devices with the same VID.
no_merge_vid=XXXXX
no_merge_pid=XXXXX

Just put your vid, and pid values in replace of XXXXX. Then, in the mister main, go to "Define joystick buttons", and configure for Player 1, exit, then go back in again and configure for Player 2. Remember to go right to the end of the configuration, pressing the space bar on your keyboard to skip buttons you don't have.

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

If I'm not mistaken, for the player_X_controller setting, you can also specify the usb port each controller is plugged into.
Here is an example (values most likely different for you. These are the values I use to force individual usb ports to a particular player.):

Code: Select all

player_1_controller=usb-1.2/input2
player_2_controller=usb-1.2/input3

When you have your control panel all hooked up, do a dmesg on the command line and capture the USB information for your controllers as they are identified and I'll see if I can help you identify the proper values.

loki666

Unread post by loki666 »

Thanks for the info...

My understanding of no_merge options (correct me if my wrong) was for when you have both player controls going through the same USB device (like a jamma to USB) which is not my case.

I have two different USB devices for both players, but since they are the same hardware, they'll get the same vid/pid

For the the player_X_controller options, I thought putting the /input... part wasn't a good idea since it can change between reboots (again I can be wrong) and ending up with P2 controls assigned to P1

But if inputX represent the USB port (which I don't intend to swap between reboots) then I'm all good and should cover my use case.

As I'm still waiting for my rig to be shipped, I can't test yet.

Thanks for your advices, I guess I'll get back to you if things doesn't works.

Philippe