Sanyo VMC-8615FP CCTV monitor with MiSTer Multisystem

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
PenroseHouse

Sanyo VMC-8615FP CCTV monitor with MiSTer Multisystem

Unread post by PenroseHouse »

Hello, just bought a Sanyo VMC-8615FP CCTV monitor on eBay.

It has two inputs, composite and S-Video. I'm assuming S-Video is the best option.

The Multisystem adds SCART output alongside the VGA.

Can anybody tell me what settings to use in the MiSTer's .ini file, and whether I should use the SCART or the VGA for best results? I can't just experiment because I'll have to buy some cables.

Really greatful for any help.

The manual for the monitor:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...mc-8615fp.html

akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Sanyo VMC-8615FP CCTV monitor with MiSTer Multisystem

Unread post by akeley »

To use S-Video / Composite with MiSTer you will either need to make or buy a separate converter. Some info here, though it's not up to date - there might have been new sellers added since.

You can also check these threads for more info
viewtopic.php?t=5475
viewtopic.php?t=5875

PenroseHouse

Really appreciate your help. Looks like the items at the first link are OUT OF STOCK (Antoniovillena, Ultimatemister), but I'll have a proper look around online.

So generic VGA->S-video or SCART-S-video converters on eBay and Amazon aren't worth trying?

I'll read the threads too.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

PenroseHouse wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:58 pm

So generic VGA->S-video or SCART-S-video converters on eBay and Amazon aren't worth trying?

No, they will either display 480i or have some awful artifacts/quality. There are some more highend models, like Axunworks, which might work well but am not 100% sure they are artifact free on MiSTer. Also bear in mind that not all cores support Y/C (though I think most do these days).

Misteraddons (US based) seems to have the active converter in stock.

PenroseHouse

Thanks for that, akeley. I've just ordered the MiSTer FPGA YC Active Encoder Board from misteraddons.com About $100 to the UK with postage. Hopefully I won't have to pay half that amount again in import tax!

So I'll have to switch to A/C within each individual core that I use? In which case I'll maybe need to have the MiSTer plugged into a HDMI monitor so I can see the screen?

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

PenroseHouse wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:09 pm

So I'll have to switch to A/C within each individual core that I use? In which case I'll maybe need to have the MiSTer plugged into a HDMI monitor so I can see the screen?

Not sure, I've never used it myself. But I think you just have to change from "rgb" to "svideo" in mister.ini, and the cores should auto-detect?

Code: Select all

vga_mode=rgb   ; supported modes: rgb, ypbpr, svideo, cvbs. rgb is default.
Missus

Unread post by Missus »

There is an official adapter for the MMS that supports composite and svideo output.

https://shop.heber.co.uk/super-video-cu ... ltisystem/

https://www.retrocollective.co.uk/asset ... Manual.pdf

PenroseHouse

Cripes I'd forgotten about that, I now remember seeing the video - who can forget that yummy custard theme!?

I shall rewatch the video, then ADD TO CART unless I see any good reason why not.

Thank you, Missus.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I forgot about that adapter, but I'm not sure if this supports proper composite video (using the Y/C cores). I think I asked them about it once but had no reply. For S-Video it should be ok though.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

akeley wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:10 pm

I forgot about that adapter, but I'm not sure if this supports proper composite video (using the Y/C cores). I think I asked them about it once but had no reply. For S-Video it should be ok though.

hm you may want to tag them they usually respond quickly. my understanding is the processing is done entirely in hardware (zero lag) and does not require special cores or software processing

fwiw the manual states it should work with any core that supports 15khz. and you can still output via all other video connectors on board. seems like the answer for anyone with an MMS

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Missus wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:42 am

hm you may want to tag them they usually respond quickly. my understanding is the processing is done entirely in hardware (zero lag) and does not require special cores or software processing

fwiw the manual states it should work with any core that supports 15khz. and you can still output via all other video connectors on board. seems like the answer for anyone with an MMS

The older adapters have artifacting problems when connecting via composite (excessive dot crawl/shimmer, I think). That's why MikeS1 developed his cores and other converters.

PenroseHouse

akeley wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:10 pm

You're referring to RMC Retro here, akeley, the Custard?

If so, I just rewatched their video, they say you don't have to change ANY settings in the .ini to use it with either composite or S-Video ... which implies that it does indeed do all the wizardy inside the box?

Anyhow, it's not available at the moment, so I can't immediately find out! I ordered the MiSTer FPGA YC Active Encoder Board from misteraddons.com but that could take weeks to the UK.

In the meantimeI have this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083DM4PLZ?psc=1
StarTech.com 1080p VGA to RCA Converter - PC to TV - USB Powered S-Video Converter with Dynamic Scaling (VGA2VID2)
One reviewer said they use it with their Mistercade and that it looks fantastic.

If anyone happens to know what settings it needs (for composite and/or S-Video), if any, would save me posting a new thread.

I thought presumably this also does all the magic in the box. Then I thought, to my knowledge the MiSTer MultiSystem uses VGA socket, but doesn't use the VGA standard (my terminology is sure to be off but you get what I mean).

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

PenroseHouse wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:43 pm

If so, I just rewatched their video, they say you don't have to change ANY settings in the .ini to use it with either composite or S-Video ... which implies that it does indeed do all the wizardy inside the box?

Yes, that's the one I'm referring to. The issue is that to get proper composite out of MiSTer is not trivial, hence the need for core adjustments, which have only became a thing not so long ago thanks to work of one dev, and this is not related to the ini files but in-core code changes.

Before these changes, the existing converters could display composite but with extra artifacting added. There are threads about it on this board, but in short it's what the 1st reviewer (A.Davis) says on the Misteraddons' page.

Apart from that one .ini setting I mentioned earlier, "vga_mode" I don't think you need to change anything. It's possible the converters which don't use Y/C cores don't need this setting changed (with the caveat of inferior composite) but I don't know for sure. In any case, you'll soon find out yourself, or maybe somebody else can chime in beforehand (you can also post this query in the big thread I linked to since more in-the-know peple check it).

One reviewer said they use it with their Mistercade and that it looks fantastic.

The problem with such statements is they are somewhat subjective and can vary quite a lot re accuracy, since we're talking about small differences and also stuff which is really hard to capture and compare. StartTech is a solid manufacturer and this looks like a higher-end converter so hopefully your S-Video will be indeed 1:1 comparable with original sources. But I'd be rather surprised if composite was also like that, for the reasons stated above.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Yes, that's the one I'm referring to. The issue is that to get proper composite out of MiSTer is not trivial, hence the need for core adjustments, which have only became a thing not so long ago thanks to work of one dev, and this is not related to the ini files but in-core code changes.

Before these changes, the existing converters could display composite but with extra artifacting added. There are threads about it on this board, but in short it's what the 1st reviewer (A.Davis) says on the Misteraddons' page.

Apart from that one .ini setting I mentioned earlier, "vga_mode" I don't think you need to change anything. It's possible the converters which don't use Y/C cores don't need this setting changed (with the caveat of inferior composite) but I don't know for sure. In any case, you'll soon find out yourself, or maybe somebody else can chime in beforehand (you can also post this query in the big thread I linked to since more in-the-know peple check it).

The problem with such statements is they are somewhat subjective and can vary quite a lot re accuracy, since we're talking about small differences and also stuff which is really hard to capture and compare (it's also possible they were referring only to S-Video). StartTech is a solid manufacturer and this looks like a higher-end converter so hopefully your S-Video will be indeed 1:1 comparable with original sources. But I'd be rather surprised if composite was also like that, for the reasons stated above.

PenroseHouse

I hear what you're saying: I'll assume the StarTech won't be the best but will be fine till I receive one of the purpose built solutions.
I've only used VGA and SCART with my MiSTer Multisystem, not HDMI. These are the settings I use for VGA. These likely remain the same?

(I could experiment but I don't want to book a day off work to play with the setup till I'm reasonably sure I know what I'm doing - plus this will be useful to other users of the forum.)

forced_scandoubler=1 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
composite_sync=0 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_mode=rgb ; supported modes: rgb, ypbpr, svideo, cvbs. rgb is default
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
vga_sog=0 ; 1 - enable sync on green (needs analog I/O board v6.0 or newer).

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

PenroseHouse wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:18 pm

I hear what you're saying: I'll assume the StarTech won't be the best but will be fine till I receive one of the purpose built solutions.

It might be that for S-Video it will be just as good as the custom one from MisterAddons.

PenroseHouse wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:18 pm

I've only used VGA and SCART with my MiSTer Multisystem, not HDMI. These are the settings I use for VGA. These likely remain the same?

Required:

composite_sync=1

...but if you get rolling image, change it back to 0
Likely required:

vga_mode=svideo 

or

vga_mode=cvbs

...depending on what you're connecting to.

But that's about all I know on this topic. I was lucky to have SCART RGB sets so far, and have not used these converters myself yet. But next year will most likely need to join the S-Vid/Composite massive too...