Why Remove CRT Adjust?

Slypty

Why Remove CRT Adjust?

Unread post by Slypty »

As much as I dig the Saturn Core, I use it exclusively on my CRT and when the options to adjust Horizontal and Vertical suddenly disappeared from the Video options, I sadly don't use this Core anymore..

The amount of crop between regions is HUGE.. I mean bigger than any other Core. It's such a convenient option to have the CRT adjust.. is it coming back?

To further this, would it be possible to add a Script to allow for an integrated CRT adjust setting to implement in every Core? The Arcade Cores do a great job of this, and most Cores don't need it.. but some are absolutely terrible and almost half the screen can be mixing with no fix.

aaronaton

Re: Why Remove CRT Adjust?

Unread post by aaronaton »

Totally Agree.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Saturn core is work-in-progress, so I'm pretty sure the author had a reason to remove this functionality for now and it will most likely be back in later releases.

Far as I know, adding CRT-adjust via some global "script" is impossible, it needs to be implemented on per-core basis and is not trivial (or it would have been done already a long time ago). And we CRT users are a niche and devs might have other priorities.

Slypty

Unread post by Slypty »

akeley wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:38 pm

Saturn core is work-in-progress, so I'm pretty sure the author had a reason to remove this functionality for now and it will most likely be back in later releases.

Far as I know, adding CRT-adjust via some global "script" is impossible, it needs to be implemented on per-core basis and is not trivial (or it would have been done already a long time ago). And we CRT users are a niche and devs might have other priorities.

I can see that devs don't have a priority for this type of an issue, but the idea is to expand the network of people who enjoy the MiSTer, not for what the dev prefers or how they prefer to game. It's nearly 1K to buy a MiSTer, so I would think keeping a continuous network of customers should be a priority if you want to keep them, especially among rising competitions in the market.

There's a huge amount of gamers that use CRTs and Arcade CABs with the MAME kit, so I absolutely think it should be integrated whenever possible.

Hackshed_Carl

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

MiSTer is an open source project.
It doesn't have "customers" it has "users"
MiSTer isn't a product like the "competition" you mentioned.

Everything about this is open source so if you would like a feature, crack on and add it.

Or you could just p*ss and whine that developers doing this in their own time won't pander to your needs.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Slypty wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:25 pm

It's nearly 1K to buy a MiSTer

:?:

Slypty wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:25 pm

There's a huge amount of gamers that use CRTs and Arcade CABs with the MAME kit, so I absolutely think it should be integrated whenever possible.

I'm not sure that number is really "huge", but in any case devs don't owe any obligation to anybody and also your correlation with MiSTer's sales, competition market, etc is rather bizzare. This is MiSTer, mostly open source and non-profit project, and not MS or Sony ran operation.

It's really rather unfair, seeing as CRT users are actually very well looked after here. There's nothing as good as MiSTer when it comes to CRT emu boxes, and believe me, I've tried them all. Many issues have been fixed over the years per user requests and 98% of cores display 1:1 image out of the box, which is simply amazing. It's also why the problem is actually more on the user/CRT set side, since MiSTer mostly just outputs the same way OG hardware would.

Of course, it'd be nice to have a global CRT adjusts controls as another QoL improvement, but demanding it seems a tad unrealistic.

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

Almost every core in MiSTer outputs a wholly distinct video signal with different horizontal and vertical timings. I'm pretty sure that a global setting is fundamentally impossible by the very nature of how MiSTer accurately reproduces the original video signals of each platform it implements.

Slypty

Unread post by Slypty »

antibolo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:46 pm

Almost every core in MiSTer outputs a wholly distinct video signal with different horizontal and vertical timings. I'm pretty sure that a global setting is fundamentally impossible by the very nature of how MiSTer accurately reproduces the original video signals of each platform it implements.

Right, and I'm not asking for a whole integration if it isn't feasible. My ask is mainly for Saturn or, if the programming sequence to make it available within a Core to be more widely shared amongst devs, so integration doesn't need to be rewritten. Just putting in my input that I think it's an underrated feature.

Toya

Unread post by Toya »

Wait, the saturn core had crt h/v adjust? From which core version was that available?

Slypty

Unread post by Slypty »

Toya wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:15 pm

Wait, the saturn core had crt h/v adjust? From which core version was that available?

Maybe it didn't?

I seem to remember adjusting H & V. Sync but it's entirely possible that I was doing this with my service menu and not the Core.

If that's so, I should apologise for mentioning that it was 'taken away' if it was never there to begin with..

So anybody want to implement H & V. Adjust for the Saturn Core? Seems like there's some demand for it anyway