Spinners, Trackballs, and the Setting 0xFFFF

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Bristles

Spinners, Trackballs, and the Setting 0xFFFF

Unread post by Bristles »

I recently got one of these, on eBay.

legends-CP.jpg
legends-CP.jpg (167.97 KiB) Viewed 3159 times

It's an Atgames Legends Ultimate Fight Stick/ Control Panel, and connects via USB.

It's flippin' huge, but has a really nice feel. The sticks are decent, not cheap feeling. The concave buttons are clicky, and have a really good arcade feel to them. The spinners are excellent, and spin freely with a slight weight to them. The trackball is nice, but a bit squeaky, will bed-in after some usage.

Getting this to work on Mister has been a hair-tearing experience, to say the least.
Problem is, it's seen as one controller, so both players are player 1. After hours of searching, I have fixed this with the "no_merge_vid".
But, for the PID, it says in the ini file "Leave no_merge_pid empty to apply this to all devices with the same VID."
So, does this mean to un-comment it ? Or to use something like "no_merge_pid=0x0000" ??
For now, I just used the values I got from lsusb (Windows Powershell + ssh) for both the vid + pid values.

Running the Joystick test utility, after setting both joysticks up in the main, I can now see player 1 controls - working great. Player 2 controls - working great. But both spinners are seen as Mouse axis X for left spinner, and Mouse axis Y for right spinner, while trackball just moves both axis - but seen as a mouse. Cores that can use the mouse X axis, Arkanoid..etc... work great. But cores that look for a spinner, don't work at all, I get nothing from both spinners.

So, do these lines just allow mouse to spinner for some cores ?

spinner_vid=0xFFFF
spinner_pid=0xFFFF

Or, do they allow the mouse to be actually seen (emulated ?)as a spinner, by cores like Tron, or DoTron ?
I have tried these values, but Tron, DoTron, just don't see any spinners, or even a mouse. Also the same for Breakout core, Pong, Atari 2600/7800 paddles.
I am at a loss for these cores, and what to do/try next. I am happy with everything else, and it works better than I thought it would.
Any help, most appreciated.

chocomochino

Re: Spinners, Trackballs, and the Setting 0xFFFF

Unread post by chocomochino »

dud, this is awesome, i want a setup like this; were you able to solve this issue?

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

The 'spinner' setting is probably for MiSTer Spinner. Just like the 'paddle' setting is often also for the MiSTer specific interface. I wish the cores with those settings also had an option to choose mouse or analog joystick (which is what regular USB paddle adapters translate to).

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

If you have spinners you want to use (like the controller in original post), you should find the VID and PID of the controller (or if the spinner(s) show up as separate devices, get their respective VID/PID) and add the

Code: Select all

spinner_vid=spinner's VID
spinner_pid=spinner's PID

If you have multiple spinners that share the same VID/PID, then you only need to enter them once.
If you have multiple spinners with same VID but different PID, then just enter the VID line one ONCE and separate PID lines for each different one.
IF you want to use ALL mouse/spinner devices as spinners then use the 0xFFFF for VID/PID...but it can give you issues with some cores that use mice so I personally don't use it.
And just like controllers...the first spinner you move in a core, will be Player 1 and so forth....unless of course you configure, in the ini, specific controllers to specific players...but that is another topic discussed already in other threads.

Here is an example of my spinner entries in my INI that I use for my GRS push/pull spinner and my GRS Ikari warriors controller...

Code: Select all

spinner_vid=0x32BE
spinner_pid=0x1521
spinner_pid=0x2010

In my case they both have the same Vendor ID so I only specified it once.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Instead of some highly customized/one off franken-config, if I were you I would just rewire the damn thing exactly how you want with a couple gp2040s or daemonbites