USB Hub v2.1 Seems to be Dead

Bikerbob

USB Hub v2.1 Seems to be Dead

Unread post by Bikerbob »

I had my MISTer packed away because I am renovating my house right now.

A friend suggested I play with it, so plugged everything in.. booted fine, but it does not see any of my dongles, and does not work with a usb keyboard.

So very frustrating. Looking at the board I had one that had the prongs that touch the bottom of the DE10 to get 5v power (really did not like that) and I wondered if I had issues with the Microusb header adapter (not the bridge) because it would seem that the HUB was getting power (THe usb keyboard would flash when plugged in) but I was not getting any data or communication.

I thought - I could replace the power with a barrel socket - but R18 is in the way - also my standoffs are short to fit my case.. so as per the other USB thread here.. maybe some contact was made?? or not sure. But the barrel will not work in my stack with my case.. But really I need to figure out if this HUB even still works.

Is there a way to test the hub on its own?? maybe as a usb hub for a laptop?? assuming I can find the right cabling. The micro usb on the DE10 I will test with an external microusb hub a friend has.

Any suggestions welcome.

pbsk8

Re: USB Hub v2.1 Seems to be Dead

Unread post by pbsk8 »

use a multimeter to see if it is not dead.

Bikerbob

Unread post by Bikerbob »

SO the Hub seems to get power ok as I said above. Someone else where asked about the red light near the power.. it is on and solid.

No lights around any of the USB ports come on with a device plugged in.

Today I tried a microusb OTG hub - still same result.

ANYONE ever seen a microusb port go bad on a DE-10??? The mini usb beside it.. can it be used??

THe DE-10 boots fine - it just cannot see anything USB.

James

parawizard

Unread post by parawizard »

With the board powered off have you checked the continuity of the micro USB port pins to the board?

Edit:

Schematic can be found here https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... -resources

There is a page dedicated to the USB PHY. I would check the following:

• Continuity from micro usb pins or adapter pins to pins on the board
  • Visually check U3, which is USB3300, the USB PHY (The chip left of the micro usb port)
  • Visually check U26, which is TPD4S012, a ESD protection device (May not be on your board as it's marked DNI. Do not include)
  • Check that R13 is 820 ohm
  • Check that R14 is 0 ohm, closed, not open or infinite resistance
  • Trace continuity of pins 4,5,7,8 on USB3300 to the micro usb port pins shown in the schematic

If you don't find something maybe a high resolution picture of the micro usb and U3 chip might be helpful. I don't have a DE10-Nano board in front of me yet.

Edit2: Do you have this issue? viewtopic.php?t=6471

rcade

Unread post by rcade »

No, if the port is dead, it's dead. I've seen them killed by static or something pulling too much current. You can check and see if the physical connection is good. You may be lucky and it can be resoldered, if so.

I had a USB game pad that had some issue with the cable and fried one of mine... Painful.