Is this frequency showing correct on crt?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
pbsk8

Is this frequency showing correct on crt?

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I play my mister on my 21'' trinitron via component and just realized on this screen that it shows frequency at 59.8Hz.

Is this correct or somehow any mister settings was changed to display it like this?

Whats-App-Image-2024-01-05-at-17-30-45.jpg
Whats-App-Image-2024-01-05-at-17-30-45.jpg (571.06 KiB) Viewed 41 times
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Is this frequency showing correct on crt?

Unread post by aberu »

That's correct. Totally normal. In this menu the first is the native resolution and the second is the scaled resolution. The Menu core (what you see upon boot) is a bit special and different, but 59.8hz is normal for analog video. Cores of different systems will have different native refresh rates that vary widely so you will see this number change around a bit. :)

Also, where do I get a 21 foot Trinitron? Sign me up! :P

birdybro~
antibolo

Re: Is this frequency showing correct on crt?

Unread post by antibolo »

The exact "standard" frequency of NTSC is 59.94Hz, but virtually any device (and in the case of MiSTer, any core) will deviate slightly from that spec depending on their output resolution and other timings. Which is fine and intended, because CRTs are designed to have a certain amount of leeway.

It is one of the major advantages of MiSTer is that it can exactly reproduce the output frequency of any platform without any fuss.