Unusual Issues With Controllers Wired/Wireless

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Loafbone

Unusual Issues With Controllers Wired/Wireless

Unread post by Loafbone »

Hello,

I've had my MiSTer for a couple of years now, been mostly using a wired SN30 pro+ controller with no issues. I recently got a bunch of NES/SNES/genesis/n64 controllers out of storage(mix of wired and wireless) to try out with different cores.

The issue I'm having is with any controller that is NOT the SN30+, half of the inputs just plain do not work. Specifically, the up and left inputs. I'm unable to remap in the main menu, as it just skips the inputs for those directions as if they don't exist. Exact same issue with a wired N64, NES, SNES, and a wireless genesis controller, as well as a wireless 8bitdo arcade stick.

Some of these controllers have worked just fine before with the MiSTer so I'm at a bit of a loss. I've tried every USB port, removing the SN30+, plenty of power cycles, to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions on next steps that would be great. I've tried googling it a ton but was unable to find someone with this issue, hopefully I didn't just miss an obvious forum thread.

Thank you!

Akuma

Re: Unusual Issues With Controllers Wired/Wireless

Unread post by Akuma »

NES, SNES, GENESIS, N64 would be connected via snac or daemonbyte.. Afaik they only work in the "game core" as a normal controller would.

Wireless is a whole other ballpark.

1. Pair the controller via BT/2.4g
  2. Define the "menu core" keys to your liking.
  3. Define the keys in the game core.

Its not like another controller picks up everything you configured with the SN30+. You have to do all that again for every other controller-type.

Loafbone

Sorry, I should have clarified - these are USB controllers just with the NES/SNES layout etc.

These controllers also worked just fine previously, but it's been a year or more. Last time I just plugged em in and was able to bind everything immediately. Now the UP and LEFT buttons don't work on any of them.

I'll give the bluetooth setup one another shot, but was having the same issue with directions on that one even in the menu.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll try a few things.

ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

Have you used these controllers with your MiSTer in the past? I’d try clearing out the controller config files for any that you’ve used in the past and then try redefining them all.

Loafbone

I've used a couple of the USB ones with no issues in the past, but it's been a while. I just tried deleting all .map files from my controller config - exact same issue. on my USB NES controller, UP/LEFT just straight do not work. Same thing with the other USB controllers that worked previously.

Super weird and frustrating! Thank you for the ideas, though. :)

Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

This is just a thought, maybe your bluetooth pairing data file is corrupted. It's located in /MiSTer_DATA/linux/bluetooth.

Loafbone

I'm having a hard time finding that folder. I usually FTP to it but I'm fairly new to this.

Ricardo_Veloso

Unread post by Ricardo_Veloso »

I am having the same issue with wired controller , actually I have 2 wired controller , SNES and NES and both are the same situation , LEFT and UP does not work for NES and SNES model LEFT , UP and R1 does not work even does not recognized , any idea ??

Ricardo_Veloso

Unread post by Ricardo_Veloso »

Hello all

I’ve solved the issue using keyboard + controller and mapping the buttons on Mister FPGA home screen

it is working well

einsteinx2

Unread post by einsteinx2 »

I wonder if something in a "recent" (last year or so) update caused the issue... I have a BlisSTer that I use both as a USB hub for regular USB gamepads (typically the Buffalo SNES style one) as well as original controllers used as both standard USB gamepads as well as via the LLAPI cores.

Anyway I hadn't used my MiSTer in about a year. A few months ago I unpacked it and ran the update all script to get the latest everything, but then put it back away. Last night I pulled it out to play some NES and since I had my BlisSTer adapters and official controllers still packed away, I plugged in the Buffalo gamepad and had the exact same "up and left don't work" issue you were seeing! I never had that issue when I used that gamepad before so it surprised me. I ended up giving up trying to fix it and just unpacked a real NES controller and adapter and it worked perfectly right away both as a standard USB gamepad in the menu and "SNAC style" via the LLAPI NES core.

The only thing I can think of is that something in the MiSTer software stack or configuration options got messed up in some update in the past year that affects regular USB gamepads but not gamepads plugged into the BlisSTer "HDMI" ports...

Thanks for reporting back what worked! So many times on forums in general people post their problem but then don't post the solution after they fix it (obligatory XKCD comic lol). I'll try the remapping suggestion and see if that fixes it!