Latest Saturn_DualSDRAM Unstable Build Issue?

Big al

Latest Saturn_DualSDRAM Unstable Build Issue?

Unread post by Big al »

Hi Guys I hope to shed some light on why my mister seems to reset, so the Led's blink and the mister restart's when trying to load the above Saturn core, I have dual ram v2.9. the standard version all loads fine even the Latest Saturn unstable build works, just not the DualSDRAM version. This also happens on the Y-Unit_20240105 ( Smash Tv ) core. Any advise would be great.
This is the Bios list I have.

boot.rom
boot.romUS
scd_J.brm
scd_U.brm

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: Latest Saturn_DualSDRAM Unstable Build Issue?

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Both of these work fine with my Dual Ram setup

The fact you get a reset shows that you havean installation error or a hardware failure in the 2nd Ram Chip
when fitting dual ram, you will be fitting a digital IO board and you must switch SW3 on the De10.

See this excellent guide from Misterfpga.co.uk

https://misterfpga.co.uk/dual-sdram-mister-fpga/

Big al

Unread post by Big al »

Thanks for the reply, I will check the switches, it was purchased brand new, pre built so maybe the switches wasn't put in the correct order, either way the link is certainly a good read . Cheers.

Edit... It was indeed set incorrectly, I will retry the cores and see what happens.. Thanks..

Big al

Unread post by Big al »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:07 am

Both of these work fine with my Dual Ram setup

The fact you get a reset shows that you have an installation error or a hardware failure in the 2nd Ram Chip
when fitting dual ram, you will be fitting a digital IO board and you must switch SW3 on the De10.

See this excellent guide from Misterfpga.co.uk

https://misterfpga.co.uk/dual-sdram-mister-fpga/

well that seems better, the Saturn core goes to " Checking Disk format " and everything seems to be really slow , but I cannot load a game, same with the Y-Unit_20240105 core, not sure that maybe a rom issue, also the leds don't blink at all until the Saturn core loading a game and all 3 just stay blinking all the time, does Sw3 turn on the extra ram ?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Sw3 reconfigures the DE10 to allow the 2nd slot to be used for Ram. What you are describing about the lights not working suggests that yuor Digital IO board isnt fitted correctly or the switch hasnt be set or is partially set
Its also possible you have fallen foul of the 4 chip ram design. Where did you buy your pre configure from ?

It would be helpful if you checked the SW3 position , maybe switch it off and then back on again and ensure both sticks have this side faces outwards facing outwards. Also following ESD precautions remove both ram sticks then reseat them onto the DE10. Make sure you have the pins aligned and of course do this with the power off.

Big al

Unread post by Big al »

I only have the one stick as I have the io board, have I missed the boat here completely, and got it wrong?

Attachments
IMG_20240114_194419277_HDR_AE~2.jpg
IMG_20240114_194419277_HDR_AE~2.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 2022 times
IMG_20240114_193636494_HDR_AE~2.jpg
IMG_20240114_193636494_HDR_AE~2.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 2022 times
IMG_20240114_193300276_AE~2.jpg
IMG_20240114_193300276_AE~2.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 2022 times
IMG_20240114_100206578_AE.jpg
IMG_20240114_100206578_AE.jpg (6.78 MiB) Viewed 2022 times
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Big al wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:49 pm

I only have the one stick as I have the io board, have I missed the boat here completely, and got it wrong?

Yes you simply dont have Dual Ram. You would appear to have an Analog IO board and that doesnt support dual ram. You would need 2 Ram sticks on either side. You should move SW3 back to its off position. You will never be able to run a Dual Ram core on that setup

Dual Ram is currently only possible with no IO board or a Digital IO board.

Big al

Unread post by Big al »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:59 pm

Yes you simply dont have Dual Ram. You would appear to have an Analog IO board and that doesnt support dual ram. You would need 2 Ram sticks on either side. You should move SW3 back to its off position.

To be honest it dawned on me, like a lightbulb suddenly came on, I thought the duel ram was the one stick 2 chips making it 128sdram, I then realised that on the Misterfpga website it shows duel ram with 2 sticks, now I know and I feel stupid 😂
Thanks for the help at least I haven't got any faulty stuff..

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Big al wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:04 pm

Yes you simply dont have Dual Ram. You would appear to have an Analog IO board and that doesnt support dual ram. You would need 2 Ram sticks on either side. You should move SW3 back to its off position.

To be honest it dawned on me, like a lightbulb suddenly came on, I thought the duel ram was the one stick 2 chips making it 128sdram, I then realised that on the Misterfpga website it shows duel ram with 2 sticks, now I know and I feel stupid 😂

Dont forget to Move SW3 back to off. It was cause issues with the single ram build and IO board if you leave it on

Big al

Unread post by Big al »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:07 pm

Dont forget to Move SW3 back to off. It was cause issues with the single ram build and IO board if you leave it on

I have done that, thanks for the help Appreciate it.

Big al

Unread post by Big al »

Would I need a metal case if ever I wanted another ram stick ? As there wouldn't be a fan, or would the heatsink be enough ?.
Also what size ram is there ?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Big al wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:24 pm

Would I need a metal case if ever I wanted another ram stick ? As there wouldn't be a fan, or would the heatsink be enough ?.
Is there just one stick of 128 I could replace mine with, I'm not even sure what mine is.

No I have an Acrylic case from MisterFpga.co.uk for mine. You would have to buy a Digital IO Board if you still wanted the User port. The Ram is simply another stick it can be of any size. Ie 32 mb or 128mb . The digital IO board has the same fan as the Analog IO board you have. You would lose the VGA
port and the ability to put out via the VGA and HDMi at the same time if you went digital.

Big al

Unread post by Big al »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:51 pm
Big al wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:24 pm

Is there just one stick of 128 I could replace mine with, I'm not even sure what mine is.

No I have an Acrylic case from MisterFpga.co.uk for mine. You would have to buy a Digital IO Board if you still wanted the User port. The Ram is simply another stick it can be of any size. Ie 32 mb or 128mb . The digital IO board has the same fan as the Analog IO board you have. You would lose the VGA
port and the ability to put out via the VGA and HDMi at the same time if you went digital.

i only use hdmi anyway.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Then the digital board would be fine for you. But currently onlyy the Saturn, Beta Jaguar, PSX and the Y unit core use dual. And for the Saturn and PSX they dont add a great deal.

Big al

Unread post by Big al »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:06 pm

Then the digital board would be fine for you. But currently onlyy the Saturn, Beta Jaguar, PSX and the Y unit core use dual. And for the Saturn and PSX they dont add a great deal.

I know I think it's because I thought I had the right equipment and it didn't work, I thought something was faulty, but now I know I'll just wait to see how the cores develop.