MiSTer RePlay - A Beginner's Complete Guide + Classic Games

Community created YouTube tutorials, interviews and helpful online information guides.
lagerfeldt

MiSTer RePlay - A Beginner's Complete Guide + Classic Games

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

I've programmed a little MiSTer website in my spare time.

Every month I take a look at a classic game, available to play on the MiSTer FPGA:

Mr. RePlay
At the time of launch there are articles on Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Pooyan, Burnin' Rubber, Moon Patrol, and Mario Bros.

MiSTer FPGA - A Beginner's Complete Guide
There's also a beginner friendly, but very detailed, step-by-step guide to buying, installing, and tweaking the MiSTer.

Also check out the Vault page, an updated link list with some interesting downloads and presets (mentioned in the guide as well).

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

HerrBerzerk

Re: MiSTer RePlay - A Beginner's Complete Guide + Classic Games

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Very clean, well done and comprehensive website with lots of Mister related stuff, also in the vault. Hats off.

And you started with some of the best Arcade games ever made :-) Unfortunately many of the old games are not playable on Mister because of wrong or lacking sound :-(

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

lagerfeldt wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:27 pm

I've programmed a little MiSTer website in my spare time.

Every month I take a look at a classic game, available to play on the MiSTer FPGA:

Mr. RePlay
At the time of launch there are articles on Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Pooyan, Burnin' Rubber, Moon Patrol, and Mario Bros.

MiSTer FPGA - A Beginner's Complete Guide
There's also a beginner friendly, but very detailed, step-by-step guide to buying, installing, and tweaking the MiSTer.

Also check out the Vault page, an updated link list with some interesting downloads and presets (mentioned in the guide as well).

Would be good to read

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_MiSTer/

and then add whatever you have that it does not as this is the official docs

lagerfeldt

The two don't compare or compete, though. I'm not sure if I can amend the official docs in any way.

The MiSTer RePlay guide is an all-round guide for the beginner, laid out in a very different way.

It contains a detailed buyer's guide, covers a wide area of subjects, provides graphical try-for-yourself examples of 4:3 vs.16:10 (WUXGA) vs. 16:9 (1080p), as well as very specific tweaking tips and downloadable presets to get a beginner going.

But it also intentionally skips detailed info about CRTs, for instance.

To me, a lot of the fun comes from fiddling with the various settings, but some might prefer a different approach.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

lagerfeldt

HerrBerzerk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:27 pm

Very clean, well done and comprehensive website with lots of Mister related stuff, also in the vault. Hats off.

And you started with some of the best Arcade games ever made :-) Unfortunately many of the old games are not playable on Mister because of wrong or lacking sound :-(

Thanks again!

Out of curiosity, which old arcade games do you find still have missing or unplayable sound?

MiSTer RePlay website

HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

lagerfeldt wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:42 pm

Out of curiosity, which old arcade games do you find still have missing or unplayable sound?

I have to go through my list but right at the moment these games come to my mind: Galaxian (background sound odd), Frogger (Music odd/wrong), Donkey Kong (playable but sounds not right), Q-Bert, not sure about Crazy Climber... mainly most games with (partly) analog sound.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

lagerfeldt wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:08 pm

The two don't compare or compete, though. I'm not sure if I can amend the official docs in any way.

Agreed, I like that you didn't overlap in the overall approach.

If you ever find something that you think should be in the docs but aren't there feel free to submit a pull request, raise an issue, or shoot me a message anytime. I'm very open and grateful for contributions!

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MkDocs_MiSTer

HerrBerzerk wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:48 pm
lagerfeldt wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:42 pm

I have to go through my list but right at the moment these games come to my mind: Galaxian (background sound odd), Frogger (Music odd/wrong), Donkey Kong (playable but sounds not right), Q-Bert, not sure about Crazy Climber... mainly most games with (partly) analog sound.

Yeah, many arcade cores with that kind of old analog sound and voice synthesizer chips currently are using samples. The work of recreating these old analog sound generation methods has begun fairly recently and the approach/methods can be seen here --> https://github.com/jopdorp/MiSTer-Discrete

birdybro~
lagerfeldt

aberu wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:49 pm

Yeah, many arcade cores with that kind of old analog sound and voice synthesizer chips currently are using samples. The work of recreating these old analog sound generation methods has begun fairly recently and the approach/methods can be seen here --> https://github.com/jopdorp/MiSTer-Discrete

I assume most of the hard work is in the programming of these submodules and combining them.

But if there's anything I can do in the form of spectral or envelope analysis and filter or processing suggestions or comparisons, anyone involved please let me know. I'd be happy to help, if I can.

I'm an audio engineer/mastering engineer of profession, working on many retro music recording and re-mastering projects as well. My programming skills are limited to html, css, and an AP in mathematics, though :-/

MiSTer RePlay website

lagerfeldt

Bruce Lee (DataSoft, 1984, 8-bit systems)

brucelee.webp
brucelee.webp (580.4 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

This time I'm taking a look at Bruce Lee, programmed by Ron J. Fortier with additional design and graphics by Kelly Day:

Bruce Lee
https://misterreplay.com/index.php#bruce-lee

MiSTer RePlay website

lagerfeldt

H.E.R.O. (Activision, 1984, 8-bit systems)

hero.webp
hero.webp (425.29 KiB) Viewed 2097 times

H.E.R.O.
https://misterreplay.com/#hero

MiSTer RePlay website