I cannot get a decent picture w/component video on a CRT

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
sonic68010

I cannot get a decent picture w/component video on a CRT

Unread post by sonic68010 »

Hi all, incredibly frustrated. I am struggling to use my MISTer. I have two different CRTs that accept component video and I cannot get a picture that is playable no matter what I do. I also have a Retrotink that could convert SCART>Component that works well on consoles with SCART like the Genesis.

On one TV I had a...playable image for CPS2, however, the colors were completely off and there was a problem with blue/green. This was with a SCART through the retrotink to component. When I switch that setup to my other CRT with component inputs, I would get a better color setup but weird flicker and curling like an Hsync issue that would come and go at the bottom of the screen. I'm using the Analog I/O board.

That second TV accepts HDMI but it will not give an aspect ratio that fits the screen fully, it will only display in windowed mode or something.

I am so frustrated and I've spend many many hours trying to fix this, and I just want to play games with my friends. My CRTs both work on other consoles just fine. I've tried multiple VGA>RCA cables including ones directly suggested for MISTer. I would literally pay someone to fix this I'm beyond frustrated :oops:

seastalker

Re: I cannot get a decent picture w/component video on a CRT

Unread post by seastalker »

Question- what are your mister.ini settings? Do you have YES for:
ypbpr=1 ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.

?

sonic68010

Right now I tried setting it up on the second TV that was having Sync issues before. The picture is super stable but there is a green tinge to everything including the main menu (SOG physical switch slightly changes the picture but either option is washed out and has no greens it appears to me). This is running SCART through the Retrotink to output component:

[MiSTer]
;directvideo=1
;bootcore=lastcore
key_menu_as_rgui=0 ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
;ypbpr=1 ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
;composite_sync=1 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.

ypbpr=1
composite_sync=1

vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0 ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
volumectl=0 ; enable audio volume control by multimedia keys
vscale_mode=0 ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
; 1 - use integer scale only.
; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
vscale_border=0 ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-99)
;bootscreen=0 ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig.
;mouse_throttle=10 ; 1-100 mouse speed divisor. Useful for very sensitive mouses
rbf_hide_datecode=0 ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle

; USER button emulation by keybaord. Usually it's reset button.
; 0 - lctrl+lalt+ralt (lctrl+lgui+rgui on keyrah)
; 1 - lctrl+lgui+rgui
; 2 - lctrl+lalt+del
; 3 - same as 0 (lctrl+lalt+ralt on keyrah)
reset_combo=0

dvi_mode=0 ; set to 1 for DVI mode. Audio won't be transmitted through HDMI in DVI mode.

; 0 - 1280x720@60
; 1 - 1024x768@60
; 2 - 720x480@60
; 3 - 720x576@50
; 4 - 1280x1024@60
; 5 - 800x600@60
; 6 - 640x480@60
; 7 - 1280x720@50
; 8 - 1920x1080@60
; 9 - 1920x1080@50
;10 - 1366x768@60
;11 - 1024x600@60
;
; custom mode: hact,hfp,hs,hbp,vact,vfp,vs,vbp,Fpix_in_KHz
; video_mode=1280,110,40,220,720,5,5,20,74250
video_mode=8
;video_mode=320,16,30,34,240,2,3,22,6400

; set to 1-10 (seconds) to display video info on startup/change
video_info=9

; Set to 1 for automatic HDMI VSync rate adjust to match original VSync.
; Set to 2 for low latency mode (single buffer).
; This option makes video butter smooth like on original emulated system.
; Adjusting is done by changing pixel clock. Not every display supports variable pixel clock.
; For proper adjusting and to reduce possible out of range pixel clock, use 60Hz HDMI video
; modes as a base even for 50Hz systems.
vsync_adjust=0

I have an analog I/O board v. 6.0, I really wonder if it is defective somehow.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Your .ini is outdated. Try using this one: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini

The only things you should change is vga_mode=ypbpr, and maybe vga_sog=0 / 1, to see if it helps with green tint.

To troubleshoot you should go directly from analog board's VGA to TVs inputs using a component cable, with no Retrotink involved (is this why your video_mode is set to 8 - 1920x1080@60?)

seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

In my case, I am not using a Retrotink/SCART. That may introduce extra variables of troubleshooting beyond my scope. I'm still trying for you though... :)
I have a direct cable that goes from the 'VGA' type port on the analog board to component (3 wire Red Green and Blue). I looked through your settings... one difference between us is on mine, I have

composite_sync=0

I remember if I had one little setting that was incorrect, I also had a color issue.
vga_mode=ypbpr
I hope it is just toggling the correct setting and no hardware nor cable issues. Maybe try that composite sync change?

sonic68010

I was able to get most cores running! Now I did an update all and was super excited for some of the content in the "others" menu, especially Game of Life, but none of them except the Arduboy and Chip 8 sync properly w/ Component. Funnily enough Mappy now syncs properly but I discovered that on analog video the rotating to horizontal mode for vertical games doesn't work, so I will have to get another CRT to devote to tate mode!

It's strange certain games do not sync on component video :(