Moonlight game streaming

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
morf77

Moonlight game streaming

Unread post by morf77 »

Would it be possible to run moonlight on my mister device? I know Mister runs Linux so I'm not seeing a reason why not atm. For those who don't know moonlight: Moonlight (formerly Limelight) is an open source implementation of NVIDIA's GameStream protocol. homepage: https://moonlight-stream.org/

Since I own a mister all my controllers are hooked up to it. It would be awesome to able to run moonlight from my mister giving access to my library of PC games next to the retro gold already supported.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Moonlight game streaming

Unread post by rhester72 »

Moonlight is a feature-rich, graphical front-end to code that can handle up to 120FPS on a beefy PC. The ARM processor in a DE10-Nano is a dual-core ARM processor with about the same horsepower as a Raspberry Pi 2B with no GPU or any video support whatsoever beyond a framebuffer.

The very short answer: 100% no.
morf77

Unread post by morf77 »

Moonlight Embedded runs actually pretty well on a raspberry pi 2 but I understand the lack of gpu is the issue.
IAmDotorg

Unread post by IAmDotorg »

For what its worth, this is definitely not "100% no" -- not even remotely.

Moonlight doesn't use any traditional GPU resources -- it just greatly benefits from hardware H264 or HEVC decoding. The DE-10 does have a Neon media processing unit on the HPS side that can trivially do either at the bitrates needed. Even if it wasn't, a H264 or HEVC core loaded into the FPGA could also do it. Its not a hardware limitation, its just a porting effort limitation.

I think the real problem is the Venn diagram of DE-10 users, Moonlight Streaming users and people with the skills to do the port has very little overlaps, and given Moonlight runs just fine on a $40 Chromecast dongle, there's not much motivation to sink time into it.
Airbag

Unread post by Airbag »

Thanks to this thread : viewtopic.php?t=7528 I just realized that MiSTer FPGA can be a great "CRT display client".
Unfortunately, "Groovy_MiSTer core" can only be used with a few selected apps (mame, retroarch, mednafen)

Moonlight game streaming could be the "swiss-knife" we need.
Unlike the initiator of this thread, I'm thinking of : the server (Sunshine) on the PC, and the client (Moonlight) running on MiSTer FPGA (on the ARM part I guess), connected to a CRT
It would give us access to many fantastic ~ 240p PC games (on Steam, GOG, Epic...) like Shovel Knight, Celeste, Undertale, Sonic Mania, Bloodstained, Towerfall, old shmups... easily streamed to our CRT.
Having a native Steam Link client for MiSTer FPGA, (it already exists for Raspberry) could also be great, but we need to convince Valve :)