MiSTerFPGA Y/C Out Module (Direct - S-Video / Composite Output) - Update

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
MikkyTee

Re: MiSTerFPGA Y/C Out Module (Direct - S-Video / Composite Output) - Update

Unread post by MikkyTee »

Yes i have that enabled, but don't use them as s-video support is now added to the main system?

terryfi

Unread post by terryfi »

Hi everyone,

I started using S-Video feature of official release. I made an VGA to S-Video cable directly connecting Green and Red to Luma and Chroma respectively, then connected VGA connector to Mister analog board.

I got a stable picture on my TV but noticed colors are not completely right in all of the cores I tried.
In Outrun, beige sand was grey. Metal Slug 4 brownish/warm color tone was grey/cold.

I ran the 240p Suite on SNES core and noticed that blue and red levels are missing darker tones, also the dark green and red tones have some blue fringing.

I thought the problem might be my TV being out of calibration but when connecting S-Video to Retrotink I got the same issue on LCD monitor. Retrotink output also revealed the overexposure in Mister S-Video output I guess the TV auto compensates that.

WVvqleG.jpeg
WVvqleG.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3826 times
lETWJpa.jpeg
lETWJpa.jpeg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 3826 times

Either I am using a version of Mister release with color inaccuracies, or I missed something in creating the cable.

kalach.x

Unread post by kalach.x »

How do I force NTSC color encoding in both 60Hz cores/modes and 50Hz?

ntsc_mode at 0 automatically switches between PAL and NTSC.
ntsc_mode at 1 forces PAL in both 50/60Hz.
ntsc_mode at 2 is strange because I can only get colors in PAL and my JVC monitor shows PAL is detected.
Looks like this option only concerns 60Hz video modes forcing some kind of PAL - which makes sense with its name.
There is however no setting called pal_mode to force PAL cores/modes to NTSC.

Does CRT TV's in e.g, U.S. do not need NTSC colors to run 50Hz video modes with color? Especially since they are not spoiled with SCART connection out there...
I want NTSC because it imho looks better for retro hardware.
I can hack NTSC support by rebuilding cores with PAL_EN set to 1'b0 in yc_out module but it seems pretty convoluted for such basic functionality.

terryfi

Unread post by terryfi »

Apparently this thread is not checked by developer(s). Any suggestion where to post our issues?

KennyL

Unread post by KennyL »

terryfi wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:43 pm

Apparently this thread is not checked by developer(s). Any suggestion where to post our issues?

Pretty much all the devs are in discord these days.... ping @MikeS over there.

shertz

Unread post by shertz »

I'm getting black and white image for odyssey2 and Atari 7800 cores. No color, just black and white. Colecovision works fine but some homebrew games like Mappy only play black and white.

I am using the latent update with SOG turned on. I'm using mister component cables plugged directly into my Commodore 1702 monitor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

shertz wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:18 am

I'm getting black and white image for odyssey2 and Atari 7800 cores. No color, just black and white. Colecovision works fine but some homebrew games like Mappy only play black and white.

I am using the latent update with SOG turned on. I'm using mister component cables plugged directly into my Commodore 1702 monitor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Those cores have not been updated and don't have the YC framework, you can try the YC builds by toggling it in the update all. What homebrew isn't working for coleco?

Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Mike: Love the composite / s-video output. It's one of the best features of the MiSTer.

There was once a test core with improved/lessened composite artifacting on Mega Drive / Genesis.

Does anyone have a number to put into yc.txt that would give a similarly improved MD result in the current Y/C framework?

(It's surprising that there is a suggested alt number for improved NES image quality in that file, but none for Mega Drive, given how objectively dirty that hardware's composite output always was.)

she/her