MiSTer Extensions - Remote

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
MiSTer Consoles

Re: MiSTer Extensions - Remote

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

wizzo wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:18 am
breiztiger wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:29 pm

do you think it's possible to have delete fonction in wallpaper like in screenshot ?

Sure. I can probably fit a wallpaper delete button in the next release same as screenshots. I had bulk deletion planned eventually but that'll have to wait.

MiSTer Consoles wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:47 am

The Remote app has become a very powerful tool for editing ini files, creating shortcuts, etc. Is it possible that down the road it could have full file management functionality in order to replace having to SSH or FTP from a PC into your MiSTer in order to move files around, edit certain files like script ini files, delete files (as breiztiger has suggested), etc?

Sort of, but not quite like having a generic file browser and text editor. I want to avoid this if possible because I think there's a better solution. I'd also like to avoid adding arbitrary code execution to the API remote publishes.

I want to take each feature as it comes and implement it separately. So for example:

• Instead of a generic file browser/uploader, I want to proper games browser with the ability to upload game files.

• I don't want to be able upload script files, but how about a UI to manage repos downloader uses (like update_all does but more generic).

• Instead of renaming _samba.sh in a file browser, there should be checkbox in the settings page to turn on samba.

And so on like that. It's never going to cover 100% of cases, but I think it would come pretty close.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Honestly any functionality added to Remote that allows me to use my iPad instead of a PC is a huge win. :D Thanks!

lovepastrami

Unread post by lovepastrami »

Only just got around to trying this out, I've spent ten minutes with it so far and I had to post straight away. This is legendary, a game changer for me. As someone who is always dicking about with video settings this will make my life so much easier. Also, the indexing/search feature is just awesome!

Well done, this is great, I love it!

lovepastrami

Unread post by lovepastrami »

Some feature suggestions:

• rom upload
  • config ini up/download, e.g. for backup and/or testing
  • option to disable showing console and computer cores when they don't have any indexed roms/images
wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by wizzo »

lovepastrami wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:19 pm

Some feature suggestions:

• rom upload
  • config ini up/download, e.g. for backup and/or testing
  • option to disable showing console and computer cores when they don't have any indexed roms/images

I'm glad to hear it's working well for you! Thank you for the suggestions. Game uploading is a yes planned but will be quite some time before it's possible.

The last 2 I like them a lot. They are fairly simple to implement so I'll get to them soon.

Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

I'm throwing this outhere and I don't even know if it would be in any way possible, but what about remote casting to a local URL? it would allow super easy capture as well as remote play on the local network. That way I could play where ever I want in my house without disconecting anything. For capture alone it would be worthwhile I think, but I'm guessing the rendering would have to be done on the arm or maybe not? Any way to go around that?

I'm also looking forward to nfc support as well as QR code for consoles, arcades and games. This is gonna make Mister much more user friendly and cool imo. :p

wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by wizzo »

Neocaron wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:38 pm

I'm throwing this outhere and I don't even know if it would be in any way possible, but what about remote casting to a local URL? it would allow super easy capture as well as remote play on the local network. That way I could play where ever I want in my house without disconecting anything. For capture alone it would be worthwhile I think, but I'm guessing the rendering would have to be done on the arm or maybe not? Any way to go around that?

I'm also looking forward to nfc support as well as QR code for consoles, arcades and games. This is gonna make Mister much more user friendly and cool imo. :p

I would love to be able to swoop in and say I got you but I'm almost 100% certain this can't be done. I might be able to send a slideshow over the network, but nothing playable. There's just so much working against you. The only method to access the image on screen is quite slow, the ARM CPU is not good at processing video, and there is no way to sync with the frames so you could capture in between a frame.

You might be able to come up with a solution using a PC and a really good capture card, but it would be a pretty big project.

Me too!! Should have the details out soon and the code has been merged with the main project today. It's such a fun little thing I think. We want it to be a super easy turn-key solution.

BSeraph

Unread post by BSeraph »

I'm using an nfc solution for MiSTer but it's pretty convoluted since I'm using a third party app on my phone, that connects to a remote server, that then SSHs to MiSTer and launches the game. Having it on this easy to use app would be a game changer besides being much faster! I'll be testing it right away

wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by wizzo »

BSeraph wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:35 pm

I'm using an nfc solution for MiSTer but it's pretty convoluted since I'm using a third party app on my phone, that connects to a remote server, that then SSHs to MiSTer and launches the game. Having it on this easy to use app would be a game changer besides being much faster! I'll be testing it right away

Just to be clear, the current thing I'm about to release is for hardware NFC readers. Separate script. It works for very cheap USB readers though, no Arduino soldering projects.

That said, I do plan on adding NFC reading to Remote! But it's some ways off, needs quite a lot of prep.

BSeraph

Unread post by BSeraph »

wizzo wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:03 am

Just to be clear, the current thing I'm about to release is for hardware NFC readers. Separate script. It works for very cheap USB readers though, no Arduino soldering projects.

Wow, ok! That's even better!

wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by wizzo »

Today my Remote Android app got approved :)

I've made a post about it here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-remote-app-88259781

There's also an iOS version incoming, but probably not for a few more weeks. No mind blowing difference compared to the existing web app (they are identical), but it gives room for special features later.

I took on way too many projects lately so unfortunately new Remote features got neglected. But my next focus will be finally adding the games browser in. Hundreds of things still can be improved with Remote, but I feel this feature in particular will really round out the experience.

scrdcow

Unread post by scrdcow »

Since I dont use google I tried to find a download link for the android app but couldnt find it. Is it possible to post it on github or even better include it in f-droid? That would be awesome :-D Thanks for your work!

wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by wizzo »

scrdcow wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:37 am

Since I dont use google I tried to find a download link for the android app but couldnt find it. Is it possible to post it on github or even better include it in f-droid? That would be awesome :-D Thanks for your work!

It's a great idea. Thank you for mentioning it, I didn't even think about it. I'm still pretty green publishing Android stuff, I'll make sure I output it the right way first. It's a little more foolproof through Google

scrdcow

Unread post by scrdcow »

wizzo wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:32 am

It's a great idea. Thank you for mentioning it, I didn't even think about it. I'm still pretty green publishing Android stuff, I'll make sure I output it the right way first. It's a little more foolproof through Google

Nice! :-)
On github I mostly see .apk files. But most free software apps are published through f-droid so maybe thats a good start - https://f-droid.org/en/docs/Submitting_ ... art_Guide/

PS. I did manage to get it installed through Aurora (free software alternative Play store app) anonymously in the end. My VPN was probably blocked. But f-droid is way nicer either way for us degoogled mofos :-P

RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

Can't get the remote to work at all. It worked briefly this morning, but have been unable to access it since. All I got is a blank screen that won't load on my phone. Please see attached screenshot.

Attachments
Screenshot_20230910_012634_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230910_012634_Chrome.jpg (66.18 KiB) Viewed 5725 times
RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

RalphJB wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:28 am

Can't get the remote to work at all. It worked briefly this morning, but have been unable to access it since. All I got is a blank screen that won't load on my phone. Please see attached screenshot.

Website doesn't work, but Google Play Store app works perfectly

todgerbodger

Unread post by todgerbodger »

Had a gawk at the Android app. Looking quite good but I can't get either the ipaddress or host name to save. The save button is disabled.

Added a screen grab.

I've tried the IP addy with and without http:// and also tried MiSTer.local but for some reason the 'save' button remains disabled?

Am I missing something obvious here?

Attachments
Screenshot_20230917-010314_Remote.png
Screenshot_20230917-010314_Remote.png (111.14 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by wizzo »

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. Have you tried without the port number? Just 192.168.0.185 by itself

todgerbodger

Unread post by todgerbodger »

wizzo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:54 pm

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. Have you tried without the port number? Just 192.168.0.185 by itself

Np at all. We're all busy ha.

I checked the logs and saw this:

Code: Select all

2023-09-26 15:25:27.672  4215-20001 CapacitorCookies        pid-4215                             I  Getting cookies at: 'http://http/192.168.0.185:8182/api/sysinfo'
2023-09-26 15:25:27.849  4215-20005 CapacitorCookies        pid-4215                             I  Getting cookies at: 'http://http//192.168.0.185:8182/api/sysinfo'

So 'http' is auto-appended to the address and there's a validation lookup in the background on text change. Didn't think to assume that. Maybe I also had Remote temporarily disabled on the Mister before too

Anyway, It works now. Thanks again!

fenderc01

Unread post by fenderc01 »

When I updated to the latest version (v20231011-1), i get an error on the connecting device:
404 page not found

I reverted to the previous version and it works like it should.

retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

I just remembered this extension existed after reading through the "What happened in 2023?" thread where it was highlighted. I'd seen the initial posts when work was just started but it slipped my mind since.

Wow! This extension is an amazingly polished piece of work! So thanks for all the hours it must have taken to create it. 8-)

I particularly like the way you can pick a core/game combination for many systems and it will just boot right into that game, on that core. Nice!

liuszuping

Unread post by liuszuping »

Hello, I would like to ask how to rebuild the game's database, or whether it can be scanned again manually. It does not seem to automatically add files. I now delete the search.db file and execute the search again in remote.

heinzgruber

Unread post by heinzgruber »

i've found a little bug:

when i search for example "Sonic" the result is from the "Genesis" core. But the core is outdated and "Mega Drive" is the new one. The problem is: when i make a shortcut from the result to my favorites the shortcut is broken.

edit: Mega CD is not inlcluded in search. When i select a title in the Mega CD games folder there is no option to add it to favorites.

Rautz

Unread post by Rautz »

I've written a script to run a bin file locates on my MiSTer

Executes fine if I manually run script over ssh. Doesn't appear to work if I select script from remote UI on my web browser

I run following

#!/bin/bash

# Function to bind controller over USBIP on MiSTer

echo "Binding controller over USBIP on MiSTer..."
/media/fat/linux/usbip/usbip bind --busid 1-1.4

I had run following when initially adding the script to script folder

chmod +x controller_bind.sh 

Is there anything I need to be aware of when creating script that will be run from the remote?