MiSTer NFC Project by Wizzo Covered by The Verge

Community created YouTube tutorials, interviews and helpful online information guides.
Xbytez
Site Admin

MiSTer NFC Project by Wizzo Covered by The Verge

Unread post by Xbytez »

Looks like the MiSTer NFC project by Wizzo has been covered by the Verge, Awesome :D

How to modernize your retro game collection in a few convoluted steps All you need are NFC stickers, a reader, a MiSTer, and a lot of patience to add a physical touch to ROMs.

See the full article here:
https://www.theverge.com/24072166/retro ... -to-modern

PikWik

Re: MiSTer NFC Project by Wizzo Covered by The Verge

Unread post by PikWik »

the tapto project is a very appreciated addition to the MiSTer and its catalog of accessories. having a way to load games from an NFC tag opens up a lot of possibilities for cartridge reading and/or NFC cards. mind you, the menu system for loading games isnt complicated, but being able to turn on the MiSTer and have something physical to load a ROM is preetty cool

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Its a cool idea and fun tech but I never understand the desire for a physical thing. I like the modern era with not having to find the floppy,

midline_slippy

Unread post by midline_slippy »

For me anyways, a BIG part of why I still play any video games is the nostalgia. For the most part I only play 3-5th gen games, thats where my nostalgia is (mostly NES and SNES).

Simple fact, there IS a difference between playing on a pi, mister and original hardware. The pi is immediately obvious. ALL the timings are different. Software Emulation will ALWAYS have OS overhead. (not saying better or worse, just different - for me, different enough it kills the nostalgia of it). FPGA. From a playability standpoint, this is much more closer to what I remember. Most of the muscle memory works. And it (importantly) works on a modern TV (even zapper games, yay).

However, it's just not the same as that square box with the square controllers. Sitting on the floor because you had to because the cords wouldn't reach the couch/bed. Physically getting up to put a new cartridge in the console. blowing into the carts when they didn't work. That one special trick everyone had to loading their carts. Leaving the system on overnight because there were no saves. Or over the week for when I would return to my grandparents house next Friday.

The NFC reader by Wizzo helps bring a missing piece of nostalgia back for me. In a time when I need this kind of comfort, stupid simple little things like this mean so much more than most people will ever understand.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

FPGA64 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:04 pm

Its a cool idea and fun tech but I never understand the desire for a physical thing. I like the modern era with not having to find the floppy,

I could see using it to feature the MiSTer experience to someone who is uninitiated, or might not understand or might be intimidated by the menu system.

For example, a game room with some popular game boxes/cards out for display and this type of setup could serve as another way to 'browse' your collection and choose a recognizable game.

Cool feature none the less!

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Also interesting for events, where you don't want people messing around in the menus, while enabling them to select a game to play in a super easy way.