Old-school music production with MT-32pi and Cubase

danielb
Core Developer

Old-school music production with MT-32pi and Cubase

Unread post by danielb »

Hi all,

I just got an MT-32pi, and it is finally set up and working well. It was a bit of a process, thanks to a defective SD-Card, voltage-draining power switch, and some gain-staging issues. The MT-32pi is connected to my IO board via the user port, and I have the standard MiSTer MT-32pi hat.

Anyway, I have it working with the ST core, and with Cubase 3.01. I can draw notes in and they will play back, and I can change programs etc to hear different sounds. Incidentally, I have it set up so that all Mister sound comes out of my studio monitors, which sounds great.

My question is, is there any way to connect my Midi controller keyboard to this setup and record notes into Cubase from the keyboard? It is an Arturia Keylab 3 Essential, which has USB midi and a DIN Midi out. It also gets its power from the USB, which may be an issue.

Also, can anyone recommend an MT-32 editor for the Atari ST?

Thanks,

Daniel

PS. What are the screws and stand-offs for that come with the Pi-hat?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Old-school music production with MT-32pi and Cubase

Unread post by Chris23235 »

danielb wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:23 pm

Hi all,

I just got an MT-32pi, and it is finally set up and working well. It was a bit of a process, thanks to a defective SD-Card, voltage-draining power switch, and some gain-staging issues. The MT-32pi is connected to my IO board via the user port, and I have the standard MiSTer MT-32pi hat.

Anyway, I have it working with the ST core, and with Cubase 3.1. I can draw notes in and they will play back, and I can change programs etc to hear different sounds. Incidentally, I have it set up so that all Mister sound comes out of my studio monitors, which sounds great.

My question is, is there any way to connect my Midi controller keyboard to this setup and record notes into Cubase from the keyboard? It is an Arturia Keylab 3 Essential, which has USB midi and a DIN Midi out. It also gets its power from the USB, which may be an issue.

Also, can anyone recommend an MT-32 editor for the Atari ST?

Thanks,

Daniel

PS. What are the screws and stand-offs for that come with the Pi-hat?

I bought a cheap USB2Midi adapter for this purpose a while ago. I was able to chain a keyboard and a Roland SC88 module and connect this with over the USB port with the Mister. Cubase works fine with this setup.

Has your keyboard also DIN MIDI IN? You can chain the keyboard and the module with a Midi cable and if your keyboard only supports USB MIDI IN it should be possible to simply use a USB cable.

Note that you have to enable the correct Midi settings for USB in the core.

danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

Thanks. So, if I were to purchase a usb-midi Interface, like a Roland UM-1, would the ST core with Cubase be able to use it for input and the MT-32pi for output?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

danielb wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:53 pm

Thanks. So, if I were to purchase a usb-midi Interface, like a Roland UM-1, would the ST core with Cubase be able to use it for input and the MT-32pi for output?

Yes, this would work. I use a OTraki Midi USB converter for this, it works in the same way as the Roland UM-1.

danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

Thanks.

D.

altitude909

Unread post by altitude909 »

You are much better off using the MIDI in/out right off the digital shield (the USER I/O thin that looks like a USB port)

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

But then you'd also need a USB to MIDI adapter for the mt32-pi.

danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

altitude909 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:24 am

You are much better off using the MIDI in/out right off the digital shield (the USER I/O thin that looks like a USB port)

Hi, thanks for answering. The user port is occupied by the MT-32pi, and functions as a MIDI out. All I want the MIDI In for is to connect my keyboard so that I can record notes into Cubase. If this is technically possible, I don't really see any other option in my present setup.

Any other ideas would be welcome...

Thanks,

Daniel

danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:54 am

But then you'd also need a USB to MIDI adapter for the mt32-pi.

Exactly. I think any setup would require one USB to MIDI adapter, and it seems much better to have the keyboard connected via USB than the MT-32pi.

D.

danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

Hi all,

It worked.
In Cubase, I can now play the MT-32pi with my keyboard, and record notes into Cubase, having connected the keyboard to the MiSTer with a Roland UM-1 MK-2. Audio is routed from the MiSTer into the Roland Studio Capture sound card.

This is my setup. It will get even more interesting if I can sync the Midi and route the audio into Ableton Live on my PC :)

setup.jpg
setup.jpg (928.02 KiB) Viewed 2735 times

And this is my MiSTer. The Raspberry Pi is sitting in the bottom half of a standard Pi case. We'll sort that out later.

Mister.jpg
Mister.jpg (340.56 KiB) Viewed 2735 times

These are the UART settings that work:

Uart options.jpg
Uart options.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 2735 times
altitude909

danielb wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:05 am

Hi, thanks for answering. The user port is occupied by the MT-32pi, and functions as a MIDI out. All I want the MIDI In for is to connect my keyboard so that I can record notes into Cubase. If this is technically possible, I don't really see any other option in my present setup.

Thanks,

Daniel

Keep in mind thats NOT a USB port, its just a break out so it has a MIDI in and out there. You need a MIDI adapter made specifically for that port, there are several around, I just designed my own

https://github.com/MichiganSynthWorks/MiSTerMIDI

danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

altitude909 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:16 am
danielb wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:05 am

Thanks,

Daniel

Keep in mind thats NOT a USB port, its just a break out so it has a MIDI in and out there. You need a MIDI adapter made specifically for that port, there are several around, I just designed my own

https://github.com/MichiganSynthWorks/MiSTerMIDI

Thanks.

On my setup, the user port controls the MT-32pi. MIDI in should go from the keyboard to the ST. If you connect the keyboard directly to the MT-32pi, then you won't be able to record notes into Cubase.

D.

altitude909

I would assume you would want keyboard -> Atari MIDI in-> cubase -> atari MIDI OUT -> MT32pi but Im not familiar with the MT32pi so YMMV

anywway: Here's what Im using. Atari MIDI IN, THRU, ATARI MIDI OUT x 3

PXL_20240304_224209558.jpg
PXL_20240304_224209558.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 2454 times
lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

danielb wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:07 pm

Hi all,

It worked.
In Cubase, I can now play the MT-32pi with my keyboard, and record notes into Cubase, having connected the keyboard to the MiSTer with a Roland UM-1 MK-2. Audio is routed from the MiSTer into the Roland Studio Capture sound card.

This is my setup. It will get even more interesting if I can sync the Midi and route the audio into Ableton Live on my PC :)

setup.jpg

And this is my MiSTer. The Raspberry Pi is sitting in the bottom half of a standard Pi case. We'll sort that out later.

Mister.jpg

Uart options.jpg

Wow, that's an old school Cubase. What version is that? I remember using it on my Atari back in the early/mid 90s. I think was Cubase 3.x perhaps.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

altitude909 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:13 pm

I would assume you would want keyboard -> Atari MIDI in-> cubase -> atari MIDI OUT -> MT32pi but Im not familiar with the MT32pi so YMMV

anywway: Here's what Im using. Atari MIDI IN, THRU, ATARI MIDI OUT x 3

PXL_20240304_224209558.jpg

Yeah, that MIDI adapter is fantastic, I followed it's development. The thing is, the mt32-pi doesn't have MIDI connectors. Also, you can power it from the user port and have it stream its audio back into the MiSTer.

To add MIDI to the mt32-pi, without using the user port, you have to power it externally and use a USB MIDI adapter with it.

altitude909

edit

All is revealed: https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wiki/MiSTer-FPGA

So it doesnt use the user as the MIDI port. I guess if USB MIDI performs to your expectations, using for a dedicated MT-32 makes way more sense

danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

lagerfeldt wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:41 am
danielb wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:07 pm

Hi all,

It worked.

setup.jpg

Mister.jpg

Uart options.jpg

Wow, that's an old school Cubase. What version is that? I remember using it on my Atari back in the early/mid 90s. I think was Cubase 3.x perhaps.

Hi,

Yes, it's version 3.01. I couldn't afford it back in the day. I had to make do with the cheapo Dr. T. sequencer and a Yamaha FB-01. People nowadays tend to forget how expensive gear was back then.

Cubase.jpg
Cubase.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2225 times

Anyway, I'm off to play with my new copy of Ableton Live 12... :)

D.

virtuali

Unread post by virtuali »

danielb wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:43 pm

Yes, it's version 3.01. I couldn't afford it back in the day.

As an interesting fact, Mister is (AFAIK), the only place where you can use the original, uncracked (and not-crashing) Cubase 3.01, without a dongle, because it's emulated in the core!

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

virtuali wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:32 pm

As an interesting fact, Mister is (AFAIK), the only place where you can use the original, uncracked (and not-crashing) Cubase 3.01, without a dongle, because it's emulated in the core!

No, it is the second place. First was on the MiST a day before or two.

Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Yes, it's version 3.01. I couldn't afford it back in the day. I had to make do with the cheapo Dr. T. sequencer and a Yamaha FB-01. People nowadays tend to forget how expensive gear was back then.

Cubase.jpg

D.

Good to see a fellow musician/engineer;-) Yeah, spent a fortune on gear since the 80s. Sold all my production gear and focused on masteringsince 2004 or so.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

virtuali wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:32 pm

Thanks for reminding me of this. I have now "upgraded" to an uncracked copy of Cubase 3.1.

D

danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

lagerfeldt wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:41 am

Cubase.jpg

D.

Good to see a fellow musician/engineer;-) Yeah, spent a fortune on gear since the 80s. Sold all my production gear and focused on masteringsince 2004 or so.

I've been producing electronic music as a hobby since I was at school in the early eighties. It's amazing what you can do at home nowadays, compared to then