Want to get started with MiSTer for C64 and retro arcade, have some Qs

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
brooklynfishy

Want to get started with MiSTer for C64 and retro arcade, have some Qs

Unread post by brooklynfishy »

Hi all-

I had been watching the MiSTer space for some time with regards to classic arcade emulation, and somehow never realized that there were cores that could do C64 emulation as well.

I've finally reached the point where I'd like to proceed with an order but I'm not sure what configuration is best for my use. It seems pretty vanilla, I've been looking at the preconfigured bundle from misteraddons.com with the digital IO option. Would there be anything else necessary as an add on for my use?

Where I'm stuck, and have been with regards to C64 emulation for some time, is the keyboard. I had considered ponying up the money for a C64 Maxi purely for the preconfigured keyboard, but was wondering if there's a better commercially available USB option. For those who do C64 emulation with a MiSTer, did you end up DIYing a keyboard or was there a commercially available option?

Hackshed_Carl

Re: Want to get started with MiSTer for C64 and retro arcade, have some Qs

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

My MiSTer is pretty much in constant C64 mode currently so I'm happy to help :)

The keyboard is my only remaining piece of the puzzle to solve.
I use a mechanical keyboard (because I like the feel - purely personal) and simply attached little stickers to certain keys that I made on a handheld label printer. I'd have used normal sticky labels otherwise.
Obviously having a decent keyboard helps with all of the computer cores.

I only had to mark a few keys as the majority are ok.
It's the best I can do currently and I'm mostly happy with it.

I'm saving my pocket money up for a The C64 Maxi purely for the keyboard.

Having already bought a mini to see if I liked it, I can say that I barely use it and much prefer the MiSTer for my C64 shenanigans. That being said, if you're mostly going to play games, the mini is awesome.

I "use" my C64 for more than games so the MiSTer adds certain QOL improvements that just feel better to me.

For this reason, when I do eventually get the Maxi, I'll only be using it as a USB keyboard along with the MiSTer.

MiSTer wise - I have the analogue IO board (I think) and 32mb RAM. That runs everything I need really.
If buying from scratch and money wasn't an issue, I'd probably go for the 128mb memory module.
IO board really depends on what you want to connect your MiSTer to

.....or there's this little beauty! - viewtopic.php?p=78360#p78360

I hope that's not too boring for you

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I did this:

https://github.com/rhester72/c64_universal_usb_kb

(with a real C64 breadbin that had a very much broken motherboard)

Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

I've had a keyrah for years, not sure if they're still made but it sure is cool.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

Stinky wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:38 am

I've had a keyrah for years, not sure if they're still made but it sure is cool.

Looks like they're still available...

Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
rhester72
Top Contributor

Problem with Keyrah is that one of the lines on port 2 is shared with port 1, so you can end up with crossover in less-than-ideal circumstances.

Syntax Error

Unread post by Syntax Error »

im just using a €15 old microsoft keyboard for all, i got a prefab mister that was sold as an A1200 kickstart included with all jingles and bells, most of it arent used by 90% or more of the cores as i found out later and the card that came with it seems to have the 9pin joystick enabled for use on the A1200(minimig) but on the other card i installed it doesnt seem to , neither works for the c64 core (finally ontopic lol) which is a dam shame since i feel playing with vcs-style joysticks just works betterr for those games (as well as amigas or ST's tho i have a different model for that), the keyboard is a bit of a search but when i get some spare copper i might get a cheap one and sticker it (solutions for poor people) ... on behalf of the core itself tho : it is mighty and it is fine and so far it runs everything EXCEPT easyflash ... which is somewhat of a bummer b/c 64devs are starting to use that as a main medium , so heres hoping "THE" (aka "the") scene goes bonkers and upgrades the c64 core in the name of tribal scene-ego or else someone goes practical and ports VICE to the mister then you have an all in one ... easyflash is the real bummer here, pardon the offtopic . I also got a mister mainly for retro-computing and eye on retro-programming but by now i have seen the light in the misterverse and even DOS is starting to look attractive again and all those fashionable things like NES and SNES which the kids next door had. I have a real c64 for testing my dabbles but i dont use it xept for easyflash gaming (or testing) - i find that old €15 microsoft board to do just fine for my needs (tho i can imagine if you want to program basic and use control characters its a bit of a quest by itself) please keep posted on your solutions i am most interested (as well as in a Falcon 030 core and a full working c64 core that can use easyflash, sd2iec and ide)

(i ramble , i am aware, but call it enthusiasm, i dont think ive been impressed by a machine so much since the kid opened the c64 box as i have by the mister since i got past the pre-installed card)

mister-linux would be nice

a browser-OS would be nice (but tehres replay2 i guess inthe future)

and "fantasy machines that never existed" in a mister demoscene would be a wet dream

anyway ! have a nice day, game on ..... make demoze, write cores ... hack it :p

rhester72
Top Contributor

@Syntax Error What makes you think the core won't run EF carts?

mong00se

Unread post by mong00se »

Get yourself a CRT preferably a production CRT and hook it up with scart or RGB BNC cables and you will have the best looking C64 image you can possibly get. I still prefer the original SID sound but the things you can do with this core are outstanding. I mostly just run demos though hooked up to my CRT and a 40 inch plasma at the same time. Would be hard to do that with an original C64 without an upscaler.
Who said you cant run EZ flash? I am pretty sure i run the Commando Arcade ez flash the other day but dont quote me on it. Might have been on a real cart I will test it out later.
As for keyboard i just use an 8bit do mechanical keyboard. Its ez enough to mount a d64 and then just use shift and esc to load using Jiffydos. If you want to program you probably would be best going down the keyrah route but i have heard its not perfect.
Its a great core. Hope you give it a go.

mong00se

IMG_1581.jpg
IMG_1581.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 946 times

Commando EZflash nostalgia in all its glory.

rhester72
Top Contributor

No accessory for Hoth Luke? Sacrilege! =)

mong00se

rhester72 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:02 pm

No accessory for Hoth Luke? Sacrilege! =)

I can do better than that lol.
C|64 starwars demo and Luke in real Hoth suit. hehe

IMG_1585.jpg
IMG_1585.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 903 times
rhester72
Top Contributor

Touche! =)

Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

rhester72 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:51 am

Problem with Keyrah is that one of the lines on port 2 is shared with port 1, so you can end up with crossover in less-than-ideal circumstances.

I wouldn't use one as a joystick interface on Mister, there are much better solutions. However for a keyboard it's hard to beat, as OP asked.