Twin Cobra PCB

Sneakyturtleegg

Twin Cobra PCB

Unread post by Sneakyturtleegg »

I am in the U.S. and have a Twin Cobra PCB. It is something I bought in 2009 and never tested/played. I don't have a Mister but do have an Analogue Pocket. I am ignorant as to what arcade games/cores are available for the Mister. I was wondering if a core containing Twin Cobra has been released? If not, are any devs interested in reverse engineering my board? Let's discuss! Thanks.

RiotRay

Re: Twin Cobra PCB

Unread post by RiotRay »

Hi!

As far as I know Jotego is already working on a "Twin Cobra'" core. I guess he has a working board for this too.
But you can ask him yourself about this. Help is always welcome.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

RiotRay wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:29 am

Hi!

As far as I know Jotego is already working on a "Twin Cobra'" core. I guess he has a working board for this too.
But you can ask him yourself about this. Help is always welcome.

Is Jotego actually already working on it, or is it in the pipeline? Because then it could still take years. Personally, I think if it is only planned for sometime in the future, it shouldn't deter other developers from creating a core.

pepito

Unread post by pepito »

Jotego is working on many cores but very little of them will goes out.
this is a way of grabbing all to avoid other devs to work on it.
still waiting updates from Atari Jaguar core.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

pepito wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:27 pm

Jotego is working on many cores but very little of them will goes out.
this is a way of grabbing all to avoid other devs to work on it.
still waiting updates from Atari Jaguar core.

Its not a first claim situation. No one is stopping anyone working on any core they wish.

pepito

Unread post by pepito »

sure...
but it is stupid.

bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

It would be stupid to work on a core that already exists.

Working on, and actually delivering, a core that someone else claimed as being WIP is awesomeness!

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

bootsector wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:34 am

Not necessarily true. There are many cores that can be improved and there are several that have been with completely new cores. Sometimes it is better to just start over. I personally prefer quality or as close to perfect as possible over quantity.

bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

thorr wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:39 pm
bootsector wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:34 am

Not necessarily true. There are many cores that can be improved and there are several that have been with completely new cores. Sometimes it is better to just start over. I personally prefer quality or as close to perfect as possible over quantity.

Agreed! However, my comment was in the context of people announcing cores as WIP for parking lot purposes without actually releasing anything.

jotego
Core Developer

Unread post by jotego »

Sneakyturtleegg wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:05 pm

I am in the U.S. and have a Twin Cobra PCB. It is something I bought in 2009 and never tested/played. I don't have a Mister but do have an Analogue Pocket. I am ignorant as to what arcade games/cores are available for the Mister. I was wondering if a core containing Twin Cobra has been released? If not, are any devs interested in reverse engineering my board? Let's discuss! Thanks.

We extracted the schematics for a bootleg board but they turned out to be rather different from the original. We would like to analyze the original board and publish the data. We have done so for many boards regardless of who ends up doing the core.
This board has a DSP which put me off for a while. I heard that the DSP may only be used for copy protection so it is possible to make a first version of the core without the DSP. I think there was one developer trying to make it. But he wouldn’t extract the schematics.
So, if you want to contribute to preserving the game, please, send the board over and we will dedicate 3-4 weeks of full time work to do it in return for your donation.

Open IP for many chips in my github account
RBF files for my MiSTer cores in jtbin
Support new IP and core development here
atrac17
Core Developer

Unread post by atrac17 »

jotego wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:19 pm

We extracted the schematics for a bootleg board but they turned out to be rather different from the original. We would like to analyze the original board and publish the data. We have done so for many boards regardless of who ends up doing the core.
This board has a DSP which put me off for a while. I heard that the DSP may only be used for copy protection so it is possible to make a first version of the core without the DSP. I think there was one developer trying to make it. But he wouldn’t extract the schematics.
So, if you want to contribute to preserving the game, please, send the board over and we will dedicate 3-4 weeks of full time work to do it in return for your donation.

I own the board; the core is functional. There are errors due to the DSP, this is heavily used and not just for protection checks in post... Neither of the implementations for the TMS32010 are fully functional. We've already fixed the ALU and are debugging in a test bench.

pram0d
Core Developer

Unread post by pram0d »

jotego wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:19 pm

Hi Jose,

I actually took a brief look at this last December. The DSP controls properties and certain mechanics of the helicopter. Commenting out certain instructions in the DSP led to gaining invincibility against only certain enemies and did other weird things. So yes, the DSP must be complete and functional for the game to work. Other than that, every aspect of the core seemed to be complete so there's just an outstanding DSP.

Thanks,
Pramod