The Neverending Story Keyboard Issue

Fuzzball

The Neverending Story Keyboard Issue

Unread post by Fuzzball »

I wanted to look at some games I used to play on my Spectrum 128k. I remember the one I got came bundled with 128k versions of Daley Thompson's Decathlon and The Neverending Story so I thought I would start with them.

I've just tried The Neverending Story 128k on the Spectrum core and the keyboard input is really slow. In order for all key presses to be registered I have type very slowly. If I type too quickly key presses are missed and the delete key doesn't work which compounds the problem.

I don't remember it playing like that on the original Spectrum 128k although that was obviously a very long time ago. Is there any way to resolve this?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: The Neverending Story Keyboard Issue

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Fuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:55 pm

I wanted to look at some games I used to play on my Spectrum 128k. I remember the one I got came bundled with 128k versions of Daley Thompson's Decathlon and The Neverending Story so I thought I would start with them.

I've just tried The Neverending Story 128k on the Spectrum core and the keyboard input is really slow. In order for all key presses to be registered I have type very slowly. If I type too quickly key presses are missed and the delete key doesn't work which compounds the problem.

I don't remember it playing like that on the original Spectrum 128k although that was obviously a very long time ago. Is there any way to resolve this?

I just tested the game on real hardware (ZX Omni a Spectrum clone) and didn't found the keyboard especially laggy. I tested it on MiSTer and to me it was the same. Keep in mind that you are able to type much faster on a PC keyboard then on a Spectrum 128K keyboard. Maybe this is the reason you remember it different.

EDIT: Delete didn't work on real hardware too in Neverending Story, tried it on a machine with rubber keyboard and on a machine with +2 keyboard, neiter CAPS SHIFT+0 on the rubber keyboard nor DELETE on the +2 keyboard do anything.

Fuzzball

Re: The Neverending Story Keyboard Issue

Unread post by Fuzzball »

Chris23235 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am
Fuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:55 pm

I just tested the game on real hardware (ZX Omni a Spectrum clone) and didn't found the keyboard especially laggy. I tested it on MiSTer and to me it was the same. Keep in mind that you are able to type much faster on a PC keyboard then on a Spectrum 128K keyboard. Maybe this is the reason you remember it different.

EDIT: Delete didn't work on real hardware too in Neverending Story, tried it on a machine with rubber keyboard and on a machine with +2 keyboard, neiter CAPS SHIFT+0 on the rubber keyboard nor DELETE on the +2 keyboard do anything.

Thanks for that. In the end I decided to play the Amstrad CPC version which doesn't have the issue and the delete key works too.