Config.sys Memory Issue on Startup

Fuzzball

Config.sys Memory Issue on Startup

Unread post by Fuzzball »

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I don't want to use any of these presetup collections like Flynnsbit or 0mhz. I would much prefer to setup DOS myself and just then install the handful of games I want on it. I had been following the guide to do this on https://www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2021/02 ... ick-start/

This was going well. I had created a VHD, installed DOS 6.22 on it and got MisterFS working to share files. I deviated from that guide for the last part because it doesn't work as the floppy image linked there for MisterFS is out of date and doesn't work properly. I created my own floppy image with WinImage with the latest files in the drv folder.

I had got to part 3 of the guide which deals with memory management. It sets up a menu system for the config.sys file so you have 3 options on memory setup which you select from. However using the default menu option (Extended memory) brings up an error stating

Code page operation not supported on this device
Device error during select

This is from https://www.jamesfmackenzie.com/2021/03 ... ng-memory/

Does anyone have a solution? Is there a more up to date guide on setting up DOS on the Mister FPGA?

Bas
Top Contributor

Re: Config.sys Memory Issue on Startup

Unread post by Bas »

Make a throwaway copy of your VHD and strip down the CONFIG.SYS. Start up from it and run MEMMAKER and follow the steps. That'll change your CONFIG.SYS for you, hence the throwaway VHD. Note the line that loads EMM386.EXE. Copy that down and into the VHD that has your menu system. That'll probably fix it in a reasonably optimized way.

Fuzzball

Re: Config.sys Memory Issue on Startup

Unread post by Fuzzball »

Bas wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:47 pm

Make a throwaway copy of your VHD and strip down the CONFIG.SYS. Start up from it and run MEMMAKER and follow the steps. That'll change your CONFIG.SYS for you, hence the throwaway VHD. Note the line that loads EMM386.EXE. Copy that down and into the VHD that has your menu system. That'll probably fix it in a reasonably optimized way.

Thanks. I ended up using a different guide in a Youtube video which works well. I will keep this in mind for future reference though. However, for now, I have conceded defeat and decided to try the 0mhz collection instead as it has ended up being a lot more work than I remember it being to get DOS games running properly. Either that or I'm just getting too old.