0MHz DOS Collection 2024.03.20 Released

midline_slippy

Re: 0MHz DOS Collection 2024.03.20 Released

Unread post by midline_slippy »

limi wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:44 pm
midline_slippy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:32 pm

Hope you have 100gb+ free space avail...

One of the main points of the 0MHz DOS Collection is that it’s split up. You will never need double the space of however many games you download to unpack the games — just whatever the largest single game is.

Not if you are using the script, which is what I specifically was talking about. As it installs ALL of the games. Ironic. As the post was asking for the script to be modified to ask what games to be download and installed instead.

As far as space, yes I noted it (the script) deleted the zip files after unpacking them. So you only ever have a single zip on your system at a time. And I also noted the 100gb was overestimated.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

midline_slippy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:03 pm

Hope you have 100gb+ free space avail...

One of the main points of the 0MHz DOS Collection is that it’s split up. You will never need double the space of however many games you download to unpack the games — just whatever the largest single game is.

Not if you are using the script, which is what I specifically was talking about. As it installs ALL of the games. Ironic. As the post was asking for the script to be modified to ask what games to be download and installed instead.

As far as space, yes I noted it (the script) deleted the zip files after unpacking them. So you only ever have a single zip on your system at a time. And I also noted the 100gb was overestimated.

The script is however by a 3rd party. It works well. Maybe drop an issue on the scripts github and see if it can be actioned.

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by mrchrister »

Here is a 0mhz downloader and updater for convenience:
https://github.com/mrchrisster/0mhz-col ... nloader.sh

It downloads and updates all 0mhz mgls and archive zips
Note: Alone in the Dark 2 and 3 still use cue/img on archive while the mgl is looking for the chd

midline_slippy

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:28 pm
midline_slippy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:03 pm

The script is however by a 3rd party. It works well. Maybe drop an issue on the scripts github and see if it can be actioned.

That was the first thing I attempted to do. I did not see a way to do that.

Yes, I know it's a 3rd party tool. I have agreed in this thread the script, as written, if you want ALL the games, works great! I really do appreciate the authors work, as it makes downloading and installing this awesome collection MUCH easier!! I brought it up this issue in this thread, as it's the only place I have seen this specific script advertised and I did not see any other way to issue a report.

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

BabaYaga326 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:13 pm
BabaYaga326 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:55 pm

For anyone who wants to try it: https://github.com/mrchrisster/0mhz-col ... nloader.sh

This is an awesome tool and VERY much appreciated.
However...

If you currently attempt to download the complete collection, its going to take 24+ Hours! Also, unless I missed something in the code (very possible), it keeps the .zip and the extracted files? Hope you have 100gb+ free space avail...

Not being a coder, I don't know how hard it would be to implement this, but, having an option to NOT download certain games would be HIGHLY advisable!! and something I personally would love to have. The Pocket updater does this. You get the option to Update All, or choose which packages (games in this instance). So the first time you were to run the script, it creates an ini file. Then (assuming you want to choose what packages) it asks you yes or no for every game when it does the mgl check, saving your choice in the ini file. So, when you run the script in the future, it remembers what you didn't want to download, auto inputting that choice and only asking you for new games not download or chosen not to download. If you want to downlaod a game you previously said no to, delete the ini and go thru the process of saying no to everything else again.

On your first point, I agree. It took me just about 24 hours for the script to download all of the required files. When setting up my Mister, I instinctually bought the biggest SD card I could find (1TB) knowing that at some point I would need that space. If you're not interested in having the entire library, then you can already pick and choose what games you want to install using this tutorial (highly recommended!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVYIupwil0&t=175s

I took a look at my SD card content after running the script. The only ZIP's that I have on my SD card are the respective VHD files (they look like ZIP files). The VHD files are required. Therefore, I don't think you need 100GB+ of free space. I grabbed the entire library at it was 25.4GB total.

At the moment, the script seems to only support downloading the full set (which should be under 300GB). Addressing another of your concerns, the script only downloads images not in your library, so if you have the VHD and MGL points to that VHD, it won't touch a game you already have. Running the full script again only looks for new games that you don't yet have in your library. It shouldn't overwrite any game saves.

Perhaps down the road they will add an a la carte download option? Follow him here:
https://x.com/chrisshelms/status/177323 ... 61075?s=20

I just started checking out a few DOS games and they boot straight up to the game. Much easier! And USB keyboard/mouse was recognized straight away as well.

Just realized my script was posted here already, sorry for the double post. I did a few updates today to the script.

• Choose where _DOS Games should be located
  • An option to always update the mgl files from scratch (since they seem to change sometimes as well)
  • Caution with this one.. Delete all files that are not mentioned in the mgl (I had img, cue, bin and chd files so I wanted a way to clean this all up)
  • I probably won't add an a la carte option since this would require quite a bit more work and I just was looking for a convenient update for myself to stay up to date with all the changes happening to the collection
  • Also, now only the /media folder gets extracted so no more config and mgl overwrites
  • ZIP files do get deleted after extraction, the script doesn't leave behind any junk files
midline_slippy

mrchrister wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:34 am
BabaYaga326 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:13 pm

This is an awesome tool and VERY much appreciated.
However...

If you currently attempt to download the complete collection, its going to take 24+ Hours! Also, unless I missed something in the code (very possible), it keeps the .zip and the extracted files? Hope you have 100gb+ free space avail...

Not being a coder, I don't know how hard it would be to implement this, but, having an option to NOT download certain games would be HIGHLY advisable!! and something I personally would love to have. The Pocket updater does this. You get the option to Update All, or choose which packages (games in this instance). So the first time you were to run the script, it creates an ini file. Then (assuming you want to choose what packages) it asks you yes or no for every game when it does the mgl check, saving your choice in the ini file. So, when you run the script in the future, it remembers what you didn't want to download, auto inputting that choice and only asking you for new games not download or chosen not to download. If you want to downlaod a game you previously said no to, delete the ini and go thru the process of saying no to everything else again.

On your first point, I agree. It took me just about 24 hours for the script to download all of the required files. When setting up my Mister, I instinctually bought the biggest SD card I could find (1TB) knowing that at some point I would need that space. If you're not interested in having the entire library, then you can already pick and choose what games you want to install using this tutorial (highly recommended!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVYIupwil0&t=175s

I took a look at my SD card content after running the script. The only ZIP's that I have on my SD card are the respective VHD files (they look like ZIP files). The VHD files are required. Therefore, I don't think you need 100GB+ of free space. I grabbed the entire library at it was 25.4GB total.

At the moment, the script seems to only support downloading the full set (which should be under 300GB). Addressing another of your concerns, the script only downloads images not in your library, so if you have the VHD and MGL points to that VHD, it won't touch a game you already have. Running the full script again only looks for new games that you don't yet have in your library. It shouldn't overwrite any game saves.

Perhaps down the road they will add an a la carte download option? Follow him here:
https://x.com/chrisshelms/status/177323 ... 61075?s=20

I just started checking out a few DOS games and they boot straight up to the game. Much easier! And USB keyboard/mouse was recognized straight away as well.

Just realized my script was posted here already, sorry for the double post. I did a few updates today to the script.

• Caution with this one.. Delete all files that are not mentioned in the mgl (I had img, cue, bin and chd files so I wanted a way to clean this all up)
  • I probably won't add an a la carte option since this would require quite a bit more work and I just was looking for a convenient update for myself to stay up to date with all the changes happening to the collection
  • Also, now only the /media folder gets extracted so no more config and mgl overwrites

Cool. That is a totally understandable. Thank you for the update!

zoopster

Unread post by zoopster »

mrchrister wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:34 am

• An option to always update the mgl files from scratch (since they seem to change sometimes as well)
  • ZIP files do get deleted after extraction, the script doesn't leave behind any junk files

Thanks for the fantastic script. Would it be possible to add an options to download (or not) the MT-32 versions of games?

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

Yes, should be easy to implement. I'll create an option for this when I have some time

prom

Unread post by prom »

Thank you for your script mrchrister! Have you thought about adding support for a filter file that would allow us to select what we want to download from the wider collection? One name per line, wildcards would be great.

HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

mrchrister wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:52 am

Here is a 0mhz downloader and updater for convenience:

It downloads and updates all 0mhz mgls and archive zips
Note: Alone in the Dark 2 and 3 still use cue/img on archive while the mgl is looking for the chd

Where is the downloader temporarily storing the zip files? I had to interrupt because of a misconfiguration of the script. (Have my files on a USB-Drive).

Thank you.

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

In this case you'll find the temp file at /media/fat/games/ao486/.0mhz_downloader

I'll add a function to clear temp folder on startup of the script

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

Looks like the current mgls don't have corresponding files on archive:

Joe & Mac - Caveman Ninja.mgl
Leisure Suit Larry 2.mgl
Lost Vikings.mgl
Simon the Sorcerer.mgl
Ugh!.mgl
Ultima VII.mgl
Worms.mgl

Thanks for fixing Alone in the Dark, emubastard!
One other question, in the script I have an option to delete all files from the media folder that are not in the mgl. I noticed this clears out 7th-guest-2.chd... Is this file needed to play the game and if so, how would you be using it?

Idelacio

Unread post by Idelacio »

Done my bit! Added a few criminally underated games to archive.org.

Who can forget the seminal classics of Redhook's Revenge, Knights of Xentar and Princess Maker 2!

Idelacio

Unread post by Idelacio »

Issues relating to the main collection-

Both versions of Civilization run like molasses. :(
The torrent is distributing borked files that fail CRC checks on export.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Please make use of the issue tracker:

https://github.com/0mhz-net/0mhz-collection/issues

MrMister1985

Unread post by MrMister1985 »

Hi guys, thank you for this great collection. ive just added one game so far to test "Super Cars International" the game works fine but only with keyboard.
i have no response from my game controller, i am using 8BitDo M30 2.4g i mapped the core to my controller as well.
i watched Pixel Cherry Ninja youtube video and he said it worked out of the box.

Is their something else i am missing?

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

Updated the downloader:

• Mt32 download option added. I haven't tested this extensively since I don't have MT32 enabled
  • Option to delete mgls with no files associated. Since you can't launch those mgls and they get redownloaded, this will be default behavior
  • creation of ao486/media folder in case it doesn't exist
Emubastard

Unread post by Emubastard »

mrchrister wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:52 pm

Leisure Suit Larry 2.mgl
Lost Vikings.mgl
Simon the Sorcerer.mgl
Ugh!.mgl
Ultima VII.mgl
Worms.mgl

Fixed. Let me know if I missed anything else.

Emubastard

Idelacio wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:18 am

Issues relating to the main collection-

Both versions of Civilization run like molasses. :(
The torrent is distributing borked files that fail CRC checks on export.

They may be candidates for removal.

We have no control over the torrent as that is generated by the archive.org

Emubastard

Thanks for fixing Alone in the Dark, emubastard!
One other question, in the script I have an option to delete all files from the media folder that are not in the mgl. I noticed this clears out 7th-guest-2.chd... Is this file needed to play the game and if so, how would you be using it?

At some point in 7th guest, you will be prompted to insert the second CD. You will manually have to then mount it in the Core MENU and navigate to the media folder and select it fir slot IDE 1-0. I'm not sure I explained it that well but that's the general idea.

-=Emubastard=-

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

Thanks, that's what I thought. In this case I will remove the option to delete files not present in the mgl

MrMister1985

Has anyone managed to get "Super Cars International" working with Joystick? i only get response from keyboard. any required settings needed to get this to work please?

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

Emubastard wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:12 pm

Leisure Suit Larry 2.mgl
Lost Vikings.mgl
Simon the Sorcerer.mgl
Ugh!.mgl
Ultima VII.mgl
Worms.mgl

Fixed. Let me know if I missed anything else.

Great stuff!
Two things I noticed: Simon the Sorcerer has an ISO and a chd, not sure if that's correct?
Joe & Mac only has MT-32 version

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

mrchrister wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:03 pm

Updated the downloader:

• Mt32 download option added. I haven't tested this extensively since I don't have MT32 enabled
  • Option to delete mgls with no files associated. Since you can't launch those mgls and they get redownloaded, this will be default behavior
  • creation of ao486/media folder in case it doesn't exist

The MT32 option now just only downloads the MT32 games and no other games. I expected it to download the MT32 version if a regular version of the same game exists. Personally I wouldn't mind if it downloads both versions.

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

It can download both. Just run the script twice (with and without prefer_mt32 set)

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

mrchrister wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:20 pm

It can download both. Just run the script twice (with and without prefer_mt32 set)

Okay, that is good to know. For updating everything, an option to just update all the game types would be handy.

I had turned the mt32 option off to download all missing non-mt32 files (after restoring all the other non-mt32 media) and it removed all the mt32 mgl files, so I had to rescue my mt32 media before the script would have deleted those.

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

It will only delete mgls that are not associated with any files. You can set the option here:

Code: Select all

# Deletes mgls that are not associated with files on archive. Set to false to disable automatic deletion
unresolved_mgls=true
MrMister1985

Has anyone managed to use the 8BitDo M30 2.4g as a gamepad with any of the Dos Collection? ive tried several games and no response on the M30. Are their any recommended gamepads or joysticks that are more compatible, or any way to get the M30 to work please.

Thanx :)

shertz

Unread post by shertz »

Hi. Total noob at this. Please go easy on me. Followed the instructions on pixel cherry ninjas youtube video about setting this up. I get a error message when launching a game. Boot failed could not read the boot hard disk. Boot failed could not read the boot floppy disk.. fatal no more boot devices. I know I have some boot files but maybe I just have them in the wrong directory?

Also I am running this on a CRT, it's a 33-in Mitsubishi that accepts both RGB and VGA. I'm only able to get a stable picture on my CRT when I have video_mode=2 in VGA mode. Could not get a stable picture in any other mode or through RGB at 480p. Setting video mode=2 prevents the Amiga core from working.

Any help is greatly appreciated

mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

@emubastard
Sanborn just let me know that there are some files where the mgl does not correspond with the zip.
Would you mind renaming those mgls? If it's too complicated I could maybe create a remap database. I didn't catch these files originally since I had them installed already.

Duke Nukem Episode 1.mgl - Duke Nukem Ep 1.zip
Duke Nukem Episode 2.mgl - Duke Nukem Ep 2.zip
Duke Nukem Episode 3.mgl - Duke Nukem Ep 3.zip
Elite Plus.mgl - Elite - Plus.zip
Final Doom - Plutonia Exp.mgl - Final Doom - The Plutonia Experiment.zip
Legend of Kyrandia - Book 2.mgl - Legend of Kyrandia - Book Two.zip
Syndicate Plus.mgl - Syndicate (Plus).zip