Perixx Trackball Keyboard

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
keef

Perixx Trackball Keyboard

Unread post by keef »

Hey Everyone,

So I just got a Perixx PERIBOARD-520 Wired Compact Trackball Keyboard (https://perixx.com/furniture_store_view ... board.html) hoping to use it with the ao486 core, but while it works fine as a keyboard it seems the trackball isn't detected at all. I hooked up the DE10-Nano to my PC via the UART port to check the console output, and sure enough the keys are registering fine but there is nothing whatsoever when I move the trackball or click the buttons. I have confirmed that the trackball works fine in Windows 10. I'm hooked up with a basic passive USB OTG adapter. Am I missing something or am I just out of luck?

Thanks
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Perixx Trackball Keyboard

Unread post by rhester72 »

What are you expecting it to do under DOS?
keef

Unread post by keef »

rhester72 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:44 pm What are you expecting it to do under DOS?
I have Windows 95 installed and running in the ao486 core.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

OK...so are you trying to use it as a mouse or what?

Bear in mind that USB doesn't exist on the 'PC'. Unless your trackball identifies as a HID mouse, ao486 is going to ignore it, because it also isn't a joystick, and pre-USB PCs didn't support trackballs that weren't set up as mice.
keef

Unread post by keef »

Yes, a trackball in such a keyboard is intended to be used as a mouse, and this trackball is HID compliant. I don't think the issue is necessarily related to the ao486 core as the trackball outputs no activity over UART when on the menu core. I think it is a hardware issue as I have now discovered the trackball doesn't work on my Mac, either.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

probably trackball is not fully standard, so MiSTer doesn't recognize it. Comparing with windows is not really correct as it's far more advanced OS with lots of drivers unlike Linux.
Generic trackball should be recognized as a standard mouse and should work in MiSTer.