New Rotary Joystick From GRS in Pre-prod Testing

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Watusi

Re: New Rotary Joystick From GRS in Pre-prod Testing

Unread post by Watusi »

I love this stick but the cardboard box had to go so I picked an mad catz stick up and stuck it in.

Fits fine but i did need to saw out a large amount of the insides, just a pointless amount of plastic that sits around the stick and buttons.

IMG_7357.jpeg.9ff4d6d76f875232b88e8c1221dfec18.jpeg
IMG_7357.jpeg.9ff4d6d76f875232b88e8c1221dfec18.jpeg (61.45 KiB) Viewed 3848 times

Anyway, has anyone managed to get this working on Ikari Warriors yet? I've had no luck at all so raised an issue for it here to request support.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... r/issues/4

TimeWarpGamer

Unread post by TimeWarpGamer »

Finally tried testing mine today on Ikari Warriors and Midnight Resistance. Can't seem to get it working properly. For Joystick config I set rotation with a spin of the rotary stick. Spinning the stick in game does work, but it's way too imprecise. Characters always spins way more than a single rotation no matter how I set the sensitivity in MiSTer. Already updated firmware. Hoping this is just a config issue, but would love some help if anyone has pointers.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

TimeWarpGamer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:43 am

Finally tried testing mine today on Ikari Warriors and Midnight Resistance. Can't seem to get it working properly. For Joystick config I set rotation with a spin of the rotary stick. Spinning the stick in game does work, but it's way too imprecise. Characters always spins way more than a single rotation no matter how I set the sensitivity in MiSTer. Already updated firmware. Hoping this is just a config issue, but would love some help if anyone has pointers.

Mine arrived today. Midnight Resistance, Heavy Barrel and Forgotten worlds work. You have use the 16 way knob and switch to mouse mode (red blinking). In the core set the sensitivity to highest.

Unfortunately the rotary stick doesn't work on the Ikari Warriors core.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

GRS Super Joystick support arrived in the Ikari Warriors games. Just set your Stick to keystroke mode 12 ways (green blinking) and enable it in the core. Enable GRS in the core settings, no need to configure rotation in the key settings of the core. Just define the other keys and press finish when asked for the rotation keys. Works great.

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

How hard is it to assemble this joystick? I didn't see any assembling instructions on their website?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

kubbie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:54 pm

How hard is it to assemble this joystick? I didn't see any assembling instructions on their website?

Not hard at all, the Joystick comes with a printed instruction manual that covers everything you need to know in great detail. I think anybody will be able to assemble the joystick with this manual without any problems. Takes about 20-30 minutes to get everything up and running.

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:01 pm

Not hard at all, the Joystick comes with a printed instruction manual that covers everything you need to know in great detail. I think anybody will be able to assemble the joystick with this manual without any problems. Takes about 20-30 minutes to get everything up and running.

Thanks much. I went and bought one since these are my favorite games from childhood.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

kubbie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:45 pm

Thanks much. I went and bought one since these are my favorite games from childhood.

Have fun, it is a great device because you also can use the Joystick as a spinner. You can also use the stick as a standard arcade stick, so it is basically a 3 in 1 device.

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:05 pm
kubbie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:45 pm

Have fun, it is a great device because you also can use the Joystick as a spinner. You can also use the stick as a standard arcade stick, so it is basically a 3 in 1 device.

Awesome! looking forward to using this.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Is this in a case or is it bare intended for installation in a cabinet?

RiotRay

Unread post by RiotRay »

@rhester72

You can install it anywhere you want. The cardbox it comes is very strong and prepared for installing a single unit. I purchased a custom case to sit on my lap. It´s quite easy to install. This joystick quickly became my favourite one. Recommended

retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

Can anyone confirm that this stick will mount correctly in a real arcade control panel (will it work the with the thickness of the chipboard)?

Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

Are there any customs/import charges to pay ?
And, how long does it roughly take to deliver to those of us outside the US ?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Bristles wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:26 pm

Are there any customs/import charges to pay ?
And, how long does it roughly take to deliver to those of us outside the US ?

Customs are included, there is a non-US shipping option. I waited about a week for mine to arrive (EU).

retrodroid wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:20 pm

Can anyone confirm that this stick will mount correctly in a real arcade control panel (will it work the with the thickness of the chipboard)?

I guess this depends on your panel. It seems to fit in the X-Arcade panel. I don't know if this is any indication for your setup.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... cade+panel

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

What does everyone recommend regards to using the "Way?" 8 or 12 way joystick?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

kubbie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:12 pm

The original Ikari Warriors machine used a 12 way joystick rotation even if the game supported shooting in only 8 directions. So 12-way is closer to the original, I did not try 8-way with the core but on the SNK compilation and Mame 8-way worked fine.

retrodroid

Okay I went and had a look at my control panel, I have a 4" wide x 3 3/4" tall cutout on the bottom of the panel chipboard that the joystick would have to insert into (from the bottom), and then mount on a thing metal plate that forms the control panel top. Any idea if that sounds okay? I'll see if I can find the dimensions for the joystick.

EDIT> I could not find a template or any specific dimensions on their website, so send them a message to get this info.

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:23 pm

The original Ikari Warriors machine used a 12 way joystick rotation even if the game supported shooting in only 8 directions. So 12-way is closer to the original, I did not try 8-way with the core but on the SNK compilation and Mame 8-way worked fine.

Thanks for info, but after reading specs on their page they have an 8, 18, or free way? Also anyone know here to buy a more sturdier case for this joystick that is either plastic or metal?

RiotRay

Unread post by RiotRay »

I purchased this one: https://arcade-expert.nl/A-E-Fightstick-DIY-Kit

It's not metal or plastic but wood and you will need a second spacer because of the mounting depths.
I'm quite satisfied with the case.

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

RiotRay wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:14 pm

I purchased this one: https://arcade-expert.nl/A-E-Fightstick-DIY-Kit

It's not metal or plastic but wood and you will need a second spacer because of the mounting depths.
I'm quite satisfied with the case.

Nice, Thanks!

Chris23235
Top Contributor

kubbie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:50 pm

Thanks for info, but after reading specs on their page they have an 8, 18, or free way? Also anyone know here to buy a more sturdier case for this joystick that is either plastic or metal?

The joystick comes with 4 different knobs that can be changed: 8, 12, 16 and freeway. There is a screw at the top of the joystick (covered by a lid) that holds the knob in place. Changing can be done on the fly. After changing the knob you have to press the way button to adjust to the settings (8, 12, 16) or change the mode to mouse for freeway.

The joystick supports different modes to make it compatible with many devices:
keystroke mode - every rotation is triggered by a key press (this is the modes the Ikari Warriors core is using)
SNK mode - pre configured mode for the SNK 30 compilation on PC
POV HAT mode - the rotation is interpreted as a joystick POV HAT
mouse mode - the rotation is interpreted as the horizontal mouse axis (this mode is used by forgotten worlds on the Jotego core and can also be used in the Arkanoid core on the MiSTer).

The first three modes are available in 8, 12 and 16 way steps (the correct knob must be installed)
The mouse mode can be used with the 8, 12 and 16 way knobs too. There is a windows configuration tool to adjust the resolution of the mouse mode and map buttons to the joystick.

Everything is covered in the extensive manual that also includes guides for some systems and emulators (no MiSTer but Mame).

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:50 am
kubbie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:50 pm

The joystick comes with 4 different knobs that can be changed: 8, 12, 16 and freeway. There is a screw at the top of the joystick (covered by a lid) that holds the knob in place. Changing can be done on the fly. After changing the knob you have to press the way button to adjust to the settings (8, 12, 16) or change the mode to mouse for freeway.

The joystick supports different modes to make it compatible with many devices:
keystroke mode - every rotation is triggered by a key press (this is the modes the Ikari Warriors core is using)
SNK mode - pre configured mode for the SNK 30 compilation on PC
POV HAT mode - the rotation is interpreted as a joystick POV HAT
mouse mode - the rotation is interpreted as the horizontal mouse axis (this mode is used by forgotten worlds on the Jotego core and can also be used in the Arkanoid core on the MiSTer).

The first three modes are available in 8, 12 and 16 way steps (the correct knob must be installed)
The mouse mode can be used with the 8, 12 and 16 way knobs too. There is a windows configuration tool to adjust the resolution of the mouse mode and map buttons to the joystick.

Everything is covered in the extensive manual that also includes guides for some systems and emulators (no MiSTer but Mame).

Great explanations, thanks!

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Anyone used the included cardboard box to mount the joystick if so, how sturdy is the card board box and how is the game play with the joystick mounted in there?

retrodroid

retrodroid wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:30 pm

Okay I went and had a look at my control panel, I have a 4" wide x 3 3/4" tall cutout on the bottom of the panel chipboard that the joystick would have to insert into (from the bottom), and then mount on a thing metal plate that forms the control panel top. Any idea if that sounds okay? I'll see if I can find the dimensions for the joystick.

EDIT> I could not find a template or any specific dimensions on their website, so send them a message to get this info.

Good news! Thunderstick Studio support has responded and provided the following drawings of the stick for reference.

GRS Super Joystick Dimension.pdf
(116.38 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
RiotRay

Unread post by RiotRay »

@kubbie

The card board should be sturdy enough for using the joystick, but I think it's ergonomically a catastrophe. There is almost no hand rest....and...well...it's a small box with edges. I recommend this only for people that definitely won´t want to get something better. The box is designed to work with the joystick....no more, no less.

I just tested "Ikari Warriors" on mister with the GRS joystick. It's working as promised, but I can't fathom why it is recommended to use the 12-way knob and setting? I tried the 8-way know and setting and I think that's far more fitting, as the ingame character only does 8 directions.
Can somebody elaborate?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

RiotRay wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:34 pm

@kubbie

The card board should be sturdy enough for using the joystick, but I think it's ergonomically a catastrophe. There is almost no hand rest....and...well...it's a small box with edges. I recommend this only for people that definitely won´t want to get something better. The box is designed to work with the joystick....no more, no less.

I just tested "Ikari Warriors" on mister with the GRS joystick. It's working as promised, but I can't fathom why it is recommended to use the 12-way knob and setting? I tried the 8-way know and setting and I think that's far more fitting, as the ingame character only does 8 directions.
Can somebody elaborate?

The arcade game had a 12-way joystick, this is the reason why it is recommended if you want to play it like in the arcades.
In the end it does not matter if you use the 8-way or 12-way joystick, the difference is that the knob will make 12 steps for a whole rotation instead of 8 but this will not make any difference within the game. It is a purely visual thing on the knob.
See this video for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HamfvSkIpk&t=409s

El_Syd

Unread post by El_Syd »

If anyone here has an old Hori or Madcatz arcade stick, it would be worth experimenting to see if you can swap the levers (but keep the superior buttons). I'm guessing you may have to make use of a universal mounting plate.

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:25 pm

GRS Super Joystick support arrived in the Ikari Warriors games. Just set your Stick to keystroke mode 12 ways (green blinking) and enable it in the core. Enable GRS in the core settings, no need to configure rotation in the key settings of the core. Just define the other keys and press finish when asked for the rotation keys. Works great.

I just got my GRS joytsick today and tried to follow these instructions but cannot get Ikari Warriors to work. Where do you set the mode 12 ways? In the core or TS-RJConfigurator? I'm still trying to figure out the configurator still.

I am able to get Ikari warriors to work now and it's fun as heck. Thanks for the tips.

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

How do you get forgotten word/heavy barrel and Midnight resistence to work? In the core I tried to enable D15 Joystick and redefined the keys for movements and start/insert coins until I got to rotation then stoppped but I can't seem to get my buttons to work so I can insert coin/start game.

Edit: I am able to get those games to work by making the mode/way button blink blue. I still have to however use the buttons to turn left/right as I can't use the rotating joystick to do that. is that normal behavior?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

kubbie wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:26 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:25 pm

I just got my GRS joytsick today and tried to follow these instructions but cannot get Ikari Warriors to work. Where do you set the mode 12 ways? In the core or TS-RJConfigurator? I'm still trying to figure out the configurator still.

I am able to get Ikari warriors to work now and it's fun as heck. Thanks for the tips.

You set the controller to 12 way on the device itself. Press the way button until it is blinking and the mode button until you get the green light. This way the device is configured in keystroke mode, 12 way.