VGA on CRT computer monitor unstable signal

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
AntialiasedPixel

VGA on CRT computer monitor unstable signal

Unread post by AntialiasedPixel »

Just got a CRT VGA monitor for free, first one I've had in awhile (HP mx75). I've tried various combinations in the mister.ini I can't seem to get a stable signal. The Mister menu/background comes up, but then blinks to black every second or so, comes back, and just sits in that pattern. I'm using the hdmi->vga adapter off of the de10 board as I don't have the IO board yet. I've tried 640x480x60 in the mister ini which the monitor lists in it's manual, tried the forced_scandoubler setting, tried direct video 0 and 1.

The monitor works fine connected to a pc at resolutions from 640x480 up to 1280x1024.

Any idea what settings I might need to change? I assume it's something with the sync signal.

Plan on getting an IO board soon, but would be nice to test it out with this adapter.
AntialiasedPixel

Re: VGA on CRT computer monitor unstable signal

Unread post by AntialiasedPixel »

Semi-solved the issue, seems to be connection/grounding related. I initially was just testing with the video output at the menu, but finally went into a game and noticed that the sound was cutting out as well as the video with has nothing to do with the monitor as the audio outputs seperatly from the adapter. So it's probably not the mister settings, but some combo of the hdmi->vga adapter(benfei branded) and the monitor. I noticed the monitor vga cable is missing pin 9, but evidently this is common for "newer" vga monitors as that pin wasn't used anymore. I'm not sure if that could be affecting the adapter. Might just have to wait for an io board unless someone has run across a similar issue with the adapter resetting itself.
relay01

Re: VGA on CRT computer monitor unstable signal

Unread post by relay01 »

VGA pin9 is used to provided +5V in the connection. Shouldn't be necessary for monitors, usually only useful for certain adapters that don't supply their own power. I'm not sure if HDMI to VGA requires it.

There is a mister.ini setting to show what resolution and frequency is being output. May be worth making sure it is outputting 640/480 or a resolution the monitor accepts. Even then, monitors can have problems with more than just frequency and resolutions.