My version of DOS is "Incompatible with this version of Windows?"

TheMrAwesomeness

My version of DOS is "Incompatible with this version of Windows?"

Unread post by TheMrAwesomeness »

I wanted to check out CD games for DOS on the ao486 core. So, I installed a game I wanted to play, Under A Killing Moon. It said it installed properly, and told me to just type "moon," and then Enter for the game to start.

However, instead of the game starting, I was greeted with a confusing message that said, "You started you computer with a version of MS-DOS incompatible with this version of Windows. Insert a Startup diskette matching this version of Windows and then restart." I'm confused, because this is a DOS game, and it was never released on Windows.

For reference, I'm using that DOS 7.1 VHD with QEMM that's on Archive.org. Does anyone have an idea of what the issue could be here?

Here's a picture I took of it:

fdYI0zB.jpeg
fdYI0zB.jpeg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 1166 times
albconde

Re: My version of DOS is "Incompatible with this version of Windows?"

Unread post by albconde »

Start the game with tex3 instead of moon .
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

Dos 7.1 is probably the issue. It was part of windows 98 but didnt get a standalone release.
TheMrAwesomeness

I started it with tex3 instead and it worked!! One more thing. I played a bit of the game and saved it, but upon restarting the core and typing in tex3 it says it needs to be installed. Is there a specific way I’m supposed to start the game after I’ve installed it already?
TheMrAwesomeness

Never mind, figured it out. I just had to change the directory to my C Drive, go to the moon directory, and then type in tex3.