Managing long file names in menus

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
EvilRyu

Managing long file names in menus

Unread post by EvilRyu »

Hi all,

There was a recent change to the way the menu shows long names on screen where it went from a single line scroll to two lines where the text can't fit in just one. I think this is a good and elegant solution and it works fine... until the first line starts scrolling after a second like it did before and it just looks wrong.

It would be great if the auto scrolling text could be disabled when a file name is split in two lines.
sid

Re: Managing long file names in menus

Unread post by sid »

I would also vote for this
keith.f.kelly

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

This bothered me, too. This is a "feature", apparently (although I'm not sure who would want it or why).

See https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Menu_MiSTer/issues/13 for information about how to disable it.

Seems to me if line-wrapping is enabled, then horizontal scrolling ought to simultaneously be disabled. Having them both enabled simultaneously just looks like a bug.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

The feature mainly benefits computer cores, where you might have a set of five floppy disk images all with the exact same filename but ending with "(1 of 5)" "2 of 5", etc. Same might be true of multi-disc console games if/when the PS1 core comes out. The second display line always shows the end of the filename so you can easily differentiate these files, and the first line fully scrolls so you can still read the full filename. If you just had two lines with no scrolling, you'd still be unable to read the full filenames for anything with more than 56 characters in the name.
sid

Unread post by sid »

I would prefer if each file name ist in one row with scrolling or fixed in several rows but not a mix of this
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

As already mentioned above the first line is scrolling because 2 lines might be not enough to display full file name. Although it can be improved to stop scrolling if 2 lines display the whole name.
if you don't like 2 lines, then add following to ini:

Code: Select all

browse_expand=0
EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

Sorgelig wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 am As already mentioned above the first line is scrolling because 2 lines might be not enough to display full file name. Although it can be improved to stop scrolling if 2 lines display the whole name.
if you don't like 2 lines, then add following to ini:

Code: Select all

browse_expand=0
Thanks for the reply and the details on the implementation. Stopping the scroll when the name fits two lines would be my preferred solution and it will be great if it makes it into a future main update.

Until then, I still like the fact that you see the long names in two lines when quickly going up and down a list so I will keep it enabled.
slutbomb

Unread post by slutbomb »

Somewhat related, is it possible to have the type-to-focus accept more than a single character? When I'm in a folder with a lot of files it would be nice to search by the first few letters of a filename.
EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

Looks like now the first line doesn't scroll any more if the name fits in two :)
12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else noticed a recent change of sort order in the menus? It now uses a natural version sort so that for example "Mega Man.nes" comes before "Mega Man 2,nes". It is a small thing but I appreciate the improvement. Thank You!