Some SPCs Play and Some Don’t

morgoth

Some SPCs Play and Some Don’t

Unread post by morgoth »

Greetings,
First off, thank you so much for recently adding SPC support to the SNES core! This is a really cool feature.
I have noticed that some SPCs will play, and others don't. I am using the newest SNES core (Release 20201106), and while some SPCs will play (after some screen resolution changing on my PC monitor), others do not, resulting in no playback and a black screen. For instance, the Actraiser spc (attached) does not work, whereas the MMX spc (attached) does. These both work when playing via software on my PC. Thank you in advance, and apologies if this is due to user error!
MostroW

Re: Some SPCs Play and Some Don’t

Unread post by MostroW »

i don't think you should upload (possibly) copyrighted material unto this board, it could spell trouble.
morgoth

Unread post by morgoth »

Zip file removed; just trying to expedite troubleshooting, thanks
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

I know and i'm not trying to be agressive or abnoxious towards you, but these days companies tend to be pretty agressive towards these kind of things and it would be a shame if the messageboard or project would be assaulted by corporate lawyers.
siskavard

Unread post by siskavard »

Not all .spc files are created equal. Have you tried different versions of the file?
morgoth

Unread post by morgoth »

Well, both of the referenced files are part of the same curated set, so not quite sure what to look for. Do you know of any low-level attributes that .spc files need in order to be compatible with this player? And if so, do you know how I could check that they have them?
Thx
siskavard

Unread post by siskavard »

No, sorry I'm not that technically advanced, haha. It's just in the past I've had .spc's I've acquired from various websites tend to not work when others do.

That being said this spc player feature is the first commit so there's always the possibility it's on the Mister side.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

MostroW wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:44 pm i don't think you should upload (possibly) copyrighted material unto this board, it could spell trouble.
SPC's have basically been completely ignored by DMCA's by the way. For instance, Zophar.net has had SPC's and other video game music files like them up on their site for over 2 decades with zero issues, including PSF's, USF's, VGM, etc... They have currently 19,491 games totallying 657,658 tracks of all this, so I highly doubt this is the same as hosting an MP3 from an official soundtrack with a publisher or hosting a ROM. Zophar.net doesn't mess around with hosting things illegally and has always been opposed to that.

Not saying you are incorrect about the principle of keeping them off of this board, I tend to agree, but it would be highly unusual and practically impossible for a DMCA on a forum like this to occur due to a video game music file. Just fyi.
birdybro~
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

I did not know though that but what i've seen before that some companies tend to be very agressive about what they consider copyrighted or not, and i would hate to see this forum being under fire for something something like this.

Though i wonder how their "scanning / flagging" system works in that retrospect, would they scan sites / content for signatures or would they have people look at "suspicious" content for that matter.
Also content posted on this forum is not downloadable unless you're a member correct?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Regarding video and audio content, they do have automated tools that scan for waveforms or video signatures, but that usually requires the website to permit them to do this. Given that pretty much all video game music file formats require some kind of plugin or separate software to decode and play, I am willing to bet they haven't even put in the effort to deal with it. I do believe it's in grey area, and you aren't exactly wrong to bring this up as a concern. However, Japanese companies are pretty heavy handed on copyright enforcement, especially audio in my experience. Those publishers are brutal over there :P.

Yeah, I think you have to be a member, or that may have just been atari-forum that was that way. Been awhile :P

Wouldn't be hard for them to adapt their crawler for logins if they really wanted to. Either way, it's not an invalid concern, that's for sure.
birdybro~
Mmsiphone

Unread post by Mmsiphone »

Hey, just wanted to chime in that this happens to me too. Even within the same game, occasionally some tracks will play and others will either do nothing or play a single note and stop working. My Mother II set I have plays like 1/5 tracks and the Super Metroid one I have plays nothing at all. But most sets I've tried like Tetris Attack or DKC2 work perfectly with no issues so maybe I have some bad files?
morgoth

Unread post by morgoth »

I believe that this has now been fixed, thank you @birdybro and @greyrogue!

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SNES_MiSTer/issues/268

(I am away from my mister; if somebody wants to give this a test and verify???)