eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

virtuali

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by virtuali »

lu_source wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:47 pm

I know this is a really late response, but I was exhibiting the same problem you were with Falcon 3.0 and was able to make it stop crashing by setting the graphic details to minimum. Setting them to medium, high & maximum would crash the game for me.

Good to know, I'll have a try. I do recall from back then when I used it on a real PC, that Falcon 3.0 was very difficult to setup, because it required a lot of conventional memory, maybe that's the reason.

GhostofSparta

Re: eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

Unread post by GhostofSparta »

Hi,

I recently downloaded the Top 300 Pack. That's really a fantastic collection, thanks a lot to @'flynnsbit'. I also saw that there's an Update Script, so I wanna install this as well. I am quite not sure how to get it installed. Maybe someone here could tell me what exactly I have to do with the downloaded zip file? I also read the README file, but unfortunately I couldn't figure out what exactly I have to do. The Top 300 Pack is located on my external hard drive (usb0).
Tried to find some tutorial on this issue but without any success. As far as I am really not good at such things, maybe someone could lend me a hand on this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

KnightNZ

Unread post by KnightNZ »

GhostofSparta wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:22 pm

I recently downloaded the Top 300 Pack. That's really a fantastic collection, thanks a lot to @'flynnsbit'. I also saw that there's an Update Script, so I wanna install this as well. I am quite not sure how to get it installed. Maybe someone here could tell me what exactly I have to do with the downloaded zip file? I also read the README file, but unfortunately I couldn't figure out what exactly I have to do. The Top 300 Pack is located on my external hard drive (usb0).
Tried to find some tutorial on this issue but without any success. As far as I am really not good at such things, maybe someone could lend me a hand on this?

IIRC - You need to edit the script to suit your environment and run it from the Scripts folder on the MiSTer itself.

GhostofSparta

That's what I figured out already, but what exactly has to be done with the downloaded zip-file? Unpacking it? Where to put the extracted files?

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

GhostofSparta wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:39 am

That's what I figured out already, but what exactly has to be done with the downloaded zip-file? Unpacking it? Where to put the extracted files?

The update script is designed to do everything for you. It puts all of the updates inside the Top 300 VHDs for C: and E:.

Downloads update.zip
extracts it to TMP
Mounts VHDs temporarily
rsyncs files into the VHDS
unmounts VHDS
does a little dance...

GhostofSparta

Alright, thanks, I'll try this! :D

sacredbanana

Unread post by sacredbanana »

Alone in the Dark in this collection has no music. Any way to get that working? It's just not the same without that soundtrack!

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

sacredbanana wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:09 pm

Alone in the Dark in this collection has no music. Any way to get that working? It's just not the same without that soundtrack!

It uses Redbook audio (CD-Audio) and unfortunately the AO486 core doesn't support that. I could do this fake MP3 hack but it wouldn't be the same and it is complex to setup.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

sacredbanana wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:09 pm

Any way to get that working?

The first game had a floppy version, try that for now?

anderse77

Unread post by anderse77 »

How long should the output script take to run? It freezes for me with download speeds suddenly dropping to zero. I also get error "remote file name has no length." Anyone else gettin these problems?

I have my games in media/usb0/games/ao486. value in ini is /media/usb0

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

The updater script really mangled my Top 300 image. The underlying filesystem doesn't have enough file entries to contain everything it has, and trying to update just messed things up horribly. It's so corrupt that if I mount the image on my server, I can't unmount it again. It seems to work, but the FAT version of fsck can't fix it, and Linux refuses to unmount the drive. The only way out is a full reboot.

After that experience, I stopped using the updater. I plan to download it fresh again any time I want an update.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

The updater works just fine. I use it every day and I even use it to constantly swap between the Preview release and back to the main version. I also use it daily for my PCXT image.

If you are having issues, you have something up. Because of the way the updater mounts the .VHD and syncs with it, linux "can" flip the disk to read-only if you are trying to do crazy things, like running the update of the VHD over a wifi network to a NAS/SAS especially if your wifi dongle is a crap one.

Nothing to do with the "file entries" or running out of something, FAT system, etc. It's a fat32 disk, nothing special. I use it on all of my real systems as well... If anything, it could be out of disk space which has been a problem. The update obviously can't run if the VHD for C or E is full.

I attached a gif of me running it just now. Also, this IS an update over the network, to a NAS but both my mister and my NAS are hardwired to a Unifi based network so I know my connections are super stable. I can re-create update failures and locked VHDs on the linux side by simply using CIFs mounts on a windows box to share out the VHD and then use a wifi dongle, like an EDIMax one. Fails all the time that way.

Attachments
AO486_Top300_example.gif
AO486_Top300_example.gif (13.41 MiB) Viewed 4222 times
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:42 pm

Nothing to do with the "file entries" or running out of something, FAT system, etc. It's a fat32 disk, nothing special. I use it on all of my real systems as well... If anything, it could be out of disk space which has been a problem. The update obviously can't run if the VHD for C or E is full.

I don't know what version of the Top300 you have, but the FAT version of fsck basically told me that the file allocation table was full, and because the FAT was full, I couldn't fix anything. I just abandoned it at that point, with the intention of re-downloading it. I imagine I could re-generate the error message if you actually care. I don't think I've actually erased the image yet.

And my network is fully wired here, with the image sitting on a ZFS filesystem. There is no freaking way anything got corrupted at the hardware level. Whatever is wrong with my image was caused by software.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Malor wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:57 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:42 pm

I don't know what version you have, but the FAT version of fsck basically told me that the file allocation table was full, and because the FAT was full, I couldn't fix anything. I just abandoned it at that point, with the intention of re-downloading it. I imagine I could re-generate the error message if you actually care. I don't think I've actually erased the image yet.

And my network is fully wired here, with the image sitting on a ZFS filesystem. There is no freaking way anything got corrupted at the hardware level. Whatever is wrong with my image was caused by software.

Yeah I am interested in the state the image is in and to see if I can duplicate it. Always good to know. What I do know is you can easily get a vhd mounted over the network in a bad state in linux which will cause it to automatically flip the to read only. Once that happens you need to manually delete the loop device (or reboot as you said). It's easy to cause this with some network hick ups in the middle of the update.

Probably better for you to just download the vhd again. If I had to do it all over again I would make the VHD have more free space on both disks but you can easily do that by deleting some things from the current image as I noted in this thread.

anderse77

I have an usb drive attached to my mister and a recommended wifi-dongle. I get an error message curl:Filename has no length. Curl error 23. My drive is formatted as exFat, I think. Where can I download the latest version of the top-300 pack without using the script?

anderse77

So, @flynnsbit, can you help us prove that the error is on our side and find out what the error is?

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

anderse77 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:37 am

So, @flynnsbit, can you help us prove that the error is on our side and find out what the error is?

Sorry, was hoping the gif of me downloading the script clean from github yesterday and then running it would prove that. Can you do the exact same thing on your mister?

SSH into your mister or F9 if you are going to do it directly

Code: Select all

cd /media/fat/Scripts
rm AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/main/_mister/AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh
./AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh

Report back what you see when you do that please?

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Worst case you can just go download the update.zip from github, mount both VHDs in windows, and copy and paste the corresponding contents of each folder into that drives corresponding VHD file. That's all the script is doing, + downloading the latest FastDoom and doing the same thing. Which you can also do manually if you desire.

https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... ag/v.0.7.8

anderse77

flynnsbit wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:19 pm

Sorry, was hoping the gif of me downloading the script clean from github yesterday and then running it would prove that. Can you do the exact same thing on your mister?

cd /media/fat/Scripts
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/main/_mister/AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh

I have done so. in ini file is base_path=/media/usb0

Result:

Skärmklipp.PNG
Skärmklipp.PNG (20.94 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

anderse77 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:00 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:19 pm

cd /media/fat/Scripts

I have done so. in ini file is base_path=/media/usb0

Result:
Skärmklipp.PNG

okay try this one:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/main/_mister/update/AO486_Update_Top300_updater.sh

You will need to change the BASE_PATH="/media/fat" variable to your path above inside this .sh file above. Note that this path is different than the other one and is a level deeper in github. See if that runs. Something weird going on with your mister for sure. I can't get anyone else to duplicate your issue.

Also, are you out of disk space on your sdcard by chance? Not the USB stick but the SD card. You are not even getting to the VHD extraction to your USB stick.

do this. Check what is in /tmp and run the 'df' command and show me that.

df.PNG
df.PNG (347.73 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
anderse77

That script works.

ao486script.PNG
ao486script.PNG (67.81 KiB) Viewed 3959 times

My sd-card is not full. Here is the content of my tmp file and df. Could it be the ini file that was not read correctly?

df.PNG
df.PNG (31.88 KiB) Viewed 3959 times
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

weird. The first script just pulls the second script down from github. Just use the second script. I only have it setup this way so I can change the script if I needed to. It used to happen a lot back in the day but I haven't changed the script in a year.

anderse77

The game Alien Carnage does not seem to work. Open scenes and cutscenes and mission select works fine. However , when you choose a mission and the actual game is started, the game starts, however with a rapidly blinking screen. This makes it unplayable.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

anderse77 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:37 am

The game Alien Carnage does not seem to work. Open scenes and cutscenes and mission select works fine. However , when you choose a mission and the actual game is started, the game starts, however with a rapidly blinking screen. This makes it unplayable.

There is a turbo option in the in game settings. go turn that off. or if it is off turn it on.

anderse77

It worked when turbo mode was turned on.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

I pushed the Pre-Release 2.0.2 to the default release version finally. If you run the standard update for Top 300 you will get the new MyMenu. Post any issues here or on Github and I will get to it when I can. Remember, if you know how to fix things you can always fix it and submit a PR of the change to the repo for Top 300 updates.

TDL is still there, just exit out of MyMenu and type 'tdl' to get to the other interface if you need to go back and forth.

Adding games is a bit of a double step for the Top 300. All game links are in E:\GAMES\MYMENU\LONG GAME NAME\ and then in that folder there is an autorun.bat and readme.ans for whatever game. Those link to the actual short name folders in E:\GAMES.

If you are going to add your games it might be easier to add your own folder where you installed games in the MyMenu.ini file.
Steps:
in Mymenu, Press ALT-U for the utilities menu,
select MyMenu Config
In the MyMenu.ini find the ###DRIVES AND FOLDERS### Section
Add your own folders for your games here. Example:
DRV = My Cool Extra Games;E:\MYGAMES\
Save it. restart MyMenu
Now when you press F2 you will see your games folder. Install whatever you want in there.

You could also create long folders in E:\GAMES\MYMENU\YOUR GAME NAME\ and then add an autorun.bat that links to the actual game install location like E:\DOOM\DOOM.exe and that would work as well. See any example in E:\GAMES\MYMENU\GAMENAME\AUTORUN.BAT

And of course you will probably run out of disk space quickly. You could attach another larger VHD to the last slot in the core (IDE 1-1) and then install your games in that VHD. Add the path for that VHD using the same steps above. Once you get used to the mymenu.ini config file it is really really nice.

dehydrated lemur

Unread post by dehydrated lemur »

is there an easy way for me to erase all the files i added on e: by accident? lol

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

dehydrated lemur wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:22 am

is there an easy way for me to erase all the files i added on e: by accident? lol

I don't delete on purpose in any of my scripts.

Restore from your perfectly good backup copy? ;)

dehydrated lemur

Unread post by dehydrated lemur »

I restored my backup. Im trying to add another .vhd to put my added games on. Whenever I mount it MyMenu won't boot and I get an error stating that "Secondary VHD not mounted" Please mount a games VHD to mister and restart.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

dehydrated lemur wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:38 pm

I restored my backup. Im trying to add another .vhd to put my added games on. Whenever I mount it MyMenu won't boot and I get an error stating that "Secondary VHD not mounted" Please mount a games VHD to mister and restart.

Its probably mounting your vhd first (taking over the E: drive) and moving the others to a different drive letter. that breaks the pack as everything is every hard coded to E:\

maybe try moving the mounting around based on the IDE 0-1, 0-0, 1-1. etc.