Unread post by dehydrated lemur »

thats exactly whats happening.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

Unread post by flynnsbit »

dehydrated lemur wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:01 pm

thats exactly whats happening.

In this scenario we might have to remove the stub disk in the second vhd that is a stub place for the D: drive and use a different utility to map the drives. There is something that can do it beyond the way I do it with SUBST but I need to find it.

c: has to be the boot vhd
d: has to be the CD drive
E: has to be the games and mymenu location
F: is just there as that is where the CD mounts and then I duplicate that using SUBST to D: so that they are the same drive.

Anywhere else wont matter so the key will be to get the third VHD mounted somewhere else.

Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Damn, yesterday while updating I also got the full drive error... time to re-read the thread, or install from scratch :D

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

There's not enough space in the FAT filesystem for the number of files on it. It has too many entries and corrupts itself.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Krakout wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:11 am

Damn, yesterday while updating I also got the full drive error... time to re-read the thread, or install from scratch :D

Is E:\ full? escape out of the menu, to dos

E:

dir and see how much free space you have.

Probably full, if so you can just delete a game like E:\games\PHANTASM and that will free up over 2GB if you don't play that game. Then run the update script again and report back.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Malor wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:29 pm

There's not enough space in the FAT filesystem for the number of files on it. It has too many entries and corrupts itself.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table 32-bit) has the following limits:

Code: Select all

Maximum file size: 4 GB
Maximum number of files in the root directory: 65,534
Maximum number of files in a subdirectory: Unlimited (limited only by available disk space)
Maximum number of subdirectories in a directory: Unlimited (limited only by available disk space)
Maximum number of clusters on a volume: 268,435,437

Not even close to this limit.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Not too long ago we had a discussion about a similar problem with PCXT and it took a while to figure out the problem:
You can "run out of space" on a disk although the total size of all the files is way smaller that the size of the disk.
This is due to the Max Number of Clusters: the allocation is done on a per cluster basis, if a file uses a certain number of clusters plus 1 byte (for example) you basically loose one cluster. If you have a great number of files you will lose an average of 1/2 cluster per file.
I don't know if it is the case for the nproblem you experience but it could be.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:46 pm
Krakout wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:11 am

Is E:\ full? escape out of the menu, to dos

E:

dir and see how much free space you have.

Probably full, if so you can just delete a game like E:\games\PHANTASM and that will free up over 2GB if you don't play that game. Then run the update script again and report back.

First of all, thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

I had already copied the re-downloaded Top300 archive so I launched that, deleted Phantasmagoria indeed and proceeded to update, only to get:

Archive: /tmp/update.zip

End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on the last disk(s) of this archive.

unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /tmp/update.zip or /tmp/update.zip.zip, and cannot find /tmp/update.zip.ZIP, period. Press any key to continue

What gives? I repeat, I copied the files anew, fresh installation...

[EDIT] update.ini was missing somehow, redownloaded scripts, this time it worked. Don't know if related or not :)

Menu looks identical to before?

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

I did a full fresh download from Archive, checked everything, then updated, checked FAT tables, disk space. Nothing wrong beside only have 39MB free on E: after it is all said and done. Showed how to del Phantasm to free up 2GB on E:. Recorded the whole thing. If you think your are out of clusters, show me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3oHy_dxoOk

dehydrated lemur

Unread post by dehydrated lemur »

Is there a work around for error we get with the e: drive being replaced when trying to add another ide.

I was able to delete phantasm and install a few games with the freed up space from that.

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

flynnsbit wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:00 pm

I did a full fresh download from Archive, checked everything, then updated, checked FAT tables, disk space. Nothing wrong beside only have 39MB free on E: after it is all said and done. Showed how to del Phantasm to free up 2GB on E:. Recorded the whole thing. If you think your are out of clusters, show me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3oHy_dxoOk

Hi
Does the updater update from 0.78 to 2.0.2 or do I need to do it manually?
How exactly do I update from 0.78 to the latest 2.0.2?
Where can i download the pre-release script updater?
And what is the difference between these 3 scripts:

AO486_Update_Top300_updater.sh
AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh
AO486_PRE_RELEASE_Update_Top300_updater.sh

actarus

Unread post by actarus »

https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_updates/releases
the script is there and it works great

mferraca

Unread post by mferraca »

Hello! May I report a error on Commander Keen 9? It is in the beginning of the game, when I access the ship I get a message "E" and the game aborts. I am using the last version 2.0.2 and it happens on HIRAM mode. But if I choose EMM386, accessing the ship I receive a message saying that there is no enough memory to play background music.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Has a clean build of the most recent version been uploaded anywhere? The only original I can find is like a year old, and considering how badly the update scripts corrupted it last time, I'd rather just start with a pristine set of image files.

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Malor wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:21 pm

Has a clean build of the most recent version been uploaded anywhere? The only original I can find is like a year old, and considering how badly the update scripts corrupted it last time, I'd rather just start with a pristine set of image files.

Why not simply do a backup of your VHD before you run the update script this time?

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Because if it self-corrupts, it's always going to do that, so a backup doesn't do me any good.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Malor wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:40 pm

Because if it self-corrupts, it's always going to do that, so a backup doesn't do me any good.

Sounds like I should just delete the main pack and the update script option if it isn't working for anyone. No one else has chimed in saying it was working so maybe I should start over? I don't want something out there that is corrupting immediately like you say, that's a terrible experience and like you said, the archive.org base image is very old.

I'll remove the broken pack and update start over if we don't get any success reports here. Probably will be summer before I put a new one up that works.

Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Yeah, had issues, too... 😟

Was fine until a while ago though so the base image is not useless!

bbond007
Top Contributor

Mine has never gotten corrupted running from a USB HD.

Are you still trying to use network ZFS storage or did you switch to local storage?

ghini

Unread post by ghini »

Both wizardry 6 and 7 are returning "Unable to load system fonts" for me, any ideas on how to resolve?

--

I installed from floppy and wizardry 7 worked fine so it must be something going on with the game files.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:19 pm

Sounds like I should just delete the main pack and the update script option if it isn't working for anyone. No one else has chimed in saying it was working so maybe I should start over? I don't want something out there that is corrupting immediately like you say, that's a terrible experience and like you said, the archive.org base image is very old.

I'll remove the broken pack and update start over if we don't get any success reports here. Probably will be summer before I put a new one up that works.

Well, if you're not getting data either way, I should probably download the image and test it more thoroughly before you do anything. I have a bigger SD card now, and can experiment with both a local mount and a remote SMB3-on-ZFS share. I'm probably not going to get to it for a couple of days, however.

kevind

Unread post by kevind »

I’ve been using it on a sandisk SD card from one of the first releases and haven’t had any of the updates corrupt my install yet; I used to run it relatively often because I would get confused between the different versions of the updater script and the actual pack.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Testing this is turning into a real PITA, because the Mister distro doesn't have kpartx, and my feeble attempts at setting up a cross-compiling environment to produce one have not been fruitful. The instructions for cross-compiling on the Mister Wiki are, um, let's say not at all helpful, and the Debian ones haven't been much better. Instead of giving you one well-thought-out approach that works, they give you about five poorly explained ones that don't.

The reason I need kpartx is because I want to use it to add entries for the partitions in the file to /dev/mapper, and then I can use the filesystem-check utilities from Linux against the partitions correctly. I can do that easily enough from the NAS host, but the whole point of this test has been to also test from the SD card, and obviously the NAS host can't see images on the Mister's SD.

So I'm kinda stuck. Does anyone have a pointer at a better guide to cross-compiling on Linux? I need to produce static armhf binaries on an x86-64 host. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard with decent docs, but that's usually open source's weak point. My NAS host is Ubuntu 22.04.

edit: I just spotted a link to the new Wiki, and the instructions are much more complete. Don't anyone bother with chasing anything down, I think the existing docs may work. The old Wiki was .... not even vaguely correct, but at least skimming, the new one looks like it has enough data.

bbond007
Top Contributor

Malor wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:28 am

Testing this is turning into a real PITA, because the Mister distro doesn't have kpartx, and my feeble attempts at setting up a cross-compiling environment to produce one have not been fruitful. The instructions for cross-compiling on the Mister Wiki are, um, let's say not at all helpful, and the Debian ones haven't been much better. Instead of giving you one well-thought-out approach that works, they give you about five poorly explained ones that don't.

There really no one single guide for cross-compiling everything. And if someone did try to make one it would probably end up being more of a book.

For example cross-compiling the the Linux kernel is quite different then cross-compiling ScummVM which has a lot of dependencies.

Then there is cmake vs a regular Makefile, different "configure" scripts, etc.

I look for guides or posts on the specific app I'm trying to cross-compile...

Malor wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:28 am

The reason I need kpartx is because I want to use it to add entries for the partitions in the file to /dev/mapper, and then I can use the filesystem-check utilities from Linux against the partitions correctly. I can do that easily enough from the NAS host, but the whole point of this test has been to also test from the SD card, and obviously the NAS host can't see images on the Mister's SD.

OK. I still think you are making a big production out of your drive getting corrupted, but here is your utility...

kpartx.zip
(361.58 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I spent a good chunk of the day yesterday working on generating a kpartx for myself, and I did succeed, sort of. I ended up learning enough Docker to get an ARMv7 Debian running, got all the compilation tools running, and did eventually generate a kpartx along with the extra libraries. I wasn't able to figure out static compilation, but ended up copying in those exact same libraries.

However, I then ran into a hard blocker, and your binary does the exact same thing mine did:

Code: Select all

# kpartx -a IDE\ 0-0\ BOOT-DOS98.vhd
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.
Incompatible libdevmapper (unknown version) and kernel driver (unknown version).
device mapper prerequisites not met

My error was slightly different in that it reported the version of libdevmapper; the above text is the message from your version. (edit: I used your libraries, too, not mine.) So I stopped there, and didn't think to post about it yet.

What I ended up doing instead was running the full patch on the SD drive, and then pulling the drive over to Windows to test it there. I did not experience any corruption that way, but I haven't yet precisely duplicated what I did the first time, because I was originally using Linux FAT tools to test with instead. Looks like I'll have to generate a custom kernel for that.

As an aside, I was pretty pleased with how well Docker integrated with QEMU to run an ARM image on x86-64. It ran surprisingly quickly, probably about as fast as my RPi 4. I was expecting it to be a very painful process, but while it was slower, it wasn't the performance disaster I was anticipating. Once I figured out how to commit changes, it turned into a pretty useful tool.

edit to add: the original instructions on the original Wiki remain a house fire and useless, but the instructions at this Wiki were good enough that I was able to figure things out:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Wiki_Mi ... for-MiSTer

That's the kernel compile page, but the other ARM pages are in the sidebar. The advanced instructions gave me enough of a starting point to figure out docker. The misterkun/toolchain image is ancient and busted, its libraries are too old, but that basic procedure with a newer Debian worked well. Well, except for the "no kernel interface" part, anyway.

third edit: I just spotted another difference; your kpartx seems to be linking against libpcre, and I'm pretty sure mine was linking with libpcre2.

commander

Unread post by commander »

I recently updated to the new mymenu v.2.0.2. Thanks for this and want to play around with the music player for mod,midi,mp3
But the dircetorys not created for this part in my setup.
Can you give me some hints how to get access to some files to test the music features?
How can I get access to the shared Mister folder eg. for exchange or get access to some music files

Many thanks for this great Collection and Menu !
Have fun

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

commander wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:52 am

I recently updated to the new mymenu v.2.0.2. Thanks for this and want to play around with the music player for mod,midi,mp3
But the dircetorys not created for this part in my setup.
Can you give me some hints how to get access to some files to test the music features?
How can I get access to the shared Mister folder eg. for exchange or get access to some music files

Many thanks for this great Collection and Menu !
Have fun

you can grab the Music directory from the Shareware pack but you are going to run out of disk space on the E: drive if you do that. You need to go delete a game or two to clean up some space. I suggest E:\GAMES\PHANTASM which should clean up 2 GB.

Then copy this: https://github.com/flynnsbit/DOS_Sharew ... main/Music to your E:\MUSIC folder

misterfs shared folder should already be setup for the Z:\ drive. If it isn't, uncomment out the misterfs in the autoexec.bat by removing the REM statement in front of it, save and reboot.

bbond007
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:40 pm

misterfs shared folder should already be setup for the Z:\ drive. If it isn't, uncomment out the misterfs in the autoexec.bat by removing the REM statement in front of it, save and reboot.

Transferring your music files over using the Z: drive becomes problematic really quickly as misterfs does not support LFN.

You'd have to ZIP them or use similar utility to preserve the long filenames.

I think its better to create another secondary VHD for your music.

HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:45 pm

Examples attached. Long story short, I should have cleaned it up more before releasing, and I should have left a couple more gigs for growth.

I just created a 30GB VHD and copy the games to that new VHD to have some space for future activity.

Now I saw that on your original image, there is a 10 MB Stub partition. Is that important? or can I just go on with my single partition??

Thank you very much!