eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

Unread post by flynnsbit »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:07 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:45 pm

Examples attached. Long story short, I should have cleaned it up more before releasing, and I should have left a couple more gigs for growth.

I just created a 30GB VHD and copy the games to that new VHD to have some space for future activity.

Now I saw that on your original image, there is a 10 MB Stub partition. Is that important? or can I just go on with my single partition??

Thank you very much!

Everything is hard coded to have the E:\ drive be the location for games and there are some games that had .ini file entries that have hard coded paths. Also, D: is hard coded to be the CD drive. The only way for that to work is to create the stub partition (the 10MB one) and then take it back over with the DOS ASSIGN utility. So on boot you end up with an OS disk (C:), CD Drive/temp stub disk (D:), Games and utilities (E:) and the actual CD drive (F:).

See the autoexec.bat for the ASSIGN tool reference. If you can get your disks to be C: (OS), D: (CD drive), and E: (games) then you don't need my hacky D: drive hack.

https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... EC.BAT#L48

One additional note. If you went back to exodos and changed the exodosconverter mister.py file to reference a difference cd folder, like F: (anywhere in this code below with the 'd' referenced), then re-ran a games export to your VHD, then you wouldn't need my hack either. Unfortunately that wouldn't include any of my pack fixes over the years either (the ones checked into github), but here is that code for reference for you and others:

https://github.com/Voljega/ExoDOSConver ... er.py#L190

HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Examples attached. Long story short, I should have cleaned it up more before releasing, and I should have left a couple more gigs for growth.

I just created a 30GB VHD and copy the games to that new VHD to have some space for future activity.

Now I saw that on your original image, there is a 10 MB Stub partition. Is that important? or can I just go on with my single partition??

Thank you very much!

Well, I just did it in Windows 10 now and it seems to work fine so far. Created a 30gig VHD, created a 10MB Primary Fat with 4k Cluster and a 30gig FAT32 with 16k Cluster, attached the newly created and the original VHD, copied everything over and attached back to this mister then on my external HD. I also did the update already...

Sometimes the system seems to have a hickup where it crashes or doesn't find something, but when I reboot, usually everything will work again. Don't know if that's related to my new VHD.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:52 pm

Thank you very much!

Well, I just did it in Windows 10 now and it seems to work fine so far. Created a 30gig VHD, created a 10MB Primary Fat with 4k Cluster and a 30gig FAT32 with 16k Cluster, attached the newly created and the original VHD, copied everything over and attached back to this mister then on my external HD. I also did the update already...

Sometimes the system seems to have a hickup where it crashes or doesn't find something, but when I reboot, usually everything will work again. Don't know if that's related to my new VHD.

Are you using local storage or NAS? Looks like you set it up right.

HerrBerzerk

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:28 pm

Are you using local storage or NAS? Looks like you set it up right.

Local storage, SSD on USB.

One issue I found out now is, that it does not start MyMenu at the first boot. On first boot I get "Runtime Error 200, Secondary VHD not mounted" Something went wrong. Please mount a games VHD to the Mount secondary HDD.... and so on"

The second boot always works. Seems to be a timing issue somehow.

And, what is the percentage field in MyMenu showing?

Thanks.

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:33 pm

And, what is the percentage field in MyMenu showing?

The % of available heap RAM in use.

Keithj101

Unread post by Keithj101 »

Hi @flynnsbit,

A lot of games on the Top300 aren't loading for me. I've run the update script. Some games run perfect, but others never make it past the dos screen. For example, Rebel Assault, Rayman. I attached some pics of what I'm seeing. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg (39.23 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
Cenon

Unread post by Cenon »

Hi there. After some wondering, I found this lovely dos pack on Archive and installed it on my MiSTer. Regrettably many of the games without hearts seem to be crashing somewhere along the line, while some other games have very wavering speeds.
For example Heroes 1 crashes after some minutes of playtime, and Descent crashed upon completing first level. Tyrian's speed and sound wobbles constantly on action. Abuse is not that bad but still does it. Then again some tested games like Doom work just fine.
Is this just something that has to be lived with, or is my setup underperforming?

I've tried pretty much every processor mode from 486sx/33MHz to the 90MHz without noticeable stability changes, and on Heroes I tried disabling sound effects as well.

My MiSTer has extra 128meg memory chip, Analog I/0 with a cute Noctua fan, running the core currently from hdmi display.

Krathoon

Unread post by Krathoon »

I ran into a couple of issues.

Wing Commander III just freezes after the wc3.exe is run.

Return to Zork locks up when you first get to the lighthouse at the beginning. You just get an hour glass and nothing happens.

Krathoon

I also tried to make my own games vhd with exoconverter, but lots of games were not working.

Krathoon

Cenon wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:03 pm

Hi there. After some wondering, I found this lovely dos pack on Archive and installed it on my MiSTer. Regrettably many of the games without hearts seem to be crashing somewhere along the line, while some other games have very wavering speeds.
For example Heroes 1 crashes after some minutes of playtime, and Descent crashed upon completing first level. Tyrian's speed and sound wobbles constantly on action. Abuse is not that bad but still does it. Then again some tested games like Doom work just fine.
Is this just something that has to be lived with, or is my setup underperforming?

I've tried pretty much every processor mode from 486sx/33MHz to the 90MHz without noticeable stability changes, and on Heroes I tried disabling sound effects as well.

My MiSTer has extra 128meg memory chip, Analog I/0 with a cute Noctua fan, running the core currently from hdmi display.

Yeah. These crashing games is making me think that something is wrong with the core. I have the same setup.

Krathoon

I got Wing Commander III to work. It uses the QEMM memory setup.

It had to be the weirdo. I bet Wing Commander IV also needs it.

Both of the Rebel Assaults crash. Also, confirming that Rayman doesn't start up. Really, it is better to play the PlayStation version. The PC version is missing music.

Krathoon

Are the MT32 and Sound Canvas settings not supposed to work? Seems like it. I had adlib not work on me on one game.

I assume we just have Soundblaster 16 and Soundblaster Pro.

HerrBerzerk

Same here. For example Wolfenstein 3d and duke nukem are crashing. When I start them with an older ao486 version, they are working.

Krathoon

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:02 am

Same here. For example Wolfenstein 3d and duke nukem are crashing. When I start them with an older ao486 version, they are working.

Which version did you roll back to?

Krathoon

Really, they need to add CD audio support to the core. Some games use it. The intro to the 7th Guest is missing it's audio.

HerrBerzerk

Krathoon wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:23 pm

Which version did you roll back to?

Just one before the most recent.

Krathoon

I played some Discworld and the Soundblaster does not sound right on it. It is like missing instruments.

HerrBerzerk

Did someone got Lemmings to work with Music? I get the sound effects but no music at all.

Zeosstud

Unread post by Zeosstud »

Out of curiosity, has anyone gotten Mean Streets to work? For me, I load the game, answer the challenge question and then it plays some previews and shows some credits and then, nothing.. Just asking to see if others get the same results..

Thanks,
Zeosstud

xyla

Unread post by xyla »

Edit: After widening my google search, it seems like this happens because the mouse driver is crashing. If I start the game by keyboard it works.

The other dead end I arrived in is the games that offer the "autorun" and the "readme" text on the left while showing filepaths on the right. Using autorun ends up in a loop between "1. Start X Games with Soundblaster.." and the autorun screen. Is this a corrupted game or am I using it wrong?

First - thanks for providing and curating this pack of games, it's been an awesome nostalgia trip so far! Something seems to be unstable for me though. Games that have worked in the past don't load anymore like Day of the Tentacle. When I try to load it, the mouse and keyboard just freeze when the red text message and at max to the point where I get to choose the sound output.

Mouse and Keyboard just stop responding - it's like they're not connected anymore, you can''t move the mouse anymore, numpad buttons don't work but the blue underscore next to the version number still blinks so the core is still there. It's like that with a few different games.

No idea what makes it behave like that, especially when it worked in the past already. I don't think I ran an update in between either.

HerrBerzerk

xyla wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:04 pm

First - thanks for providing and curating this pack of games, it's been an awesome nostalgia trip so far! Something seems to be unstable for me though. Games that have worked in the past don't load anymore like Day of the Tentacle. When I try to load it, the mouse and keyboard just freeze when the red text message and at max to the point where I get to choose the sound output.

Do you mean at the point where "Paused" is written on the screen? That happens to me also on some games. For me, mostly it has to do with graphic resolutions in the ini. But this is only the case if you use a real CRT Monitor, doesn't happen with LCD.

HerrBerzerk

Is someone able to play Command & Conquer 1995 for more than 5 minutes? For me, sooner or later I get a very strange mouse behavour. The mouse pointer is like sticking to the sides of the screen only going up and down very fast and I can't use it anymore...

xyla

Unread post by xyla »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:14 am
xyla wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:04 pm

Do you mean at the point where "Paused" is written on the screen? That happens to me also on some games. For me, mostly it has to do with graphic resolutions in the ini. But this is only the case if you use a real CRT Monitor, doesn't happen with LCD.

Nah, it's on an LCD - the next time it happens, I'm gonna make a screenshot and post it.

HK-47

Unread post by HK-47 »

I've been playing around with this, and trying out a few games. Having issues running Where in the World is Carmen San Diego though.

When I try to launch it from the menu, I get this "Paused" screen, which I get on every game and usually get past by just pressing enter:

PXL_20230501_025630418.jpg
PXL_20230501_025630418.jpg (85.03 KiB) Viewed 3762 times

Which then gets me to this menu, where I pick the SoundBlaster option since I don't have an MT32-Pi:

PXL_20230501_025656229.jpg
PXL_20230501_025656229.jpg (83.93 KiB) Viewed 3762 times

However, instead of running the game, I end up on this screen:

PXL_20230501_025710850.jpg
PXL_20230501_025710850.jpg (130.45 KiB) Viewed 3762 times

When I select Autorun.bat though, it just loops me back to the first screen. Am I doing something wrong here? Running this on a 1080p monitor set to 60Hz. My MiSTer.ini file is below:

MiSTer.ini
(13.96 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
HerrBerzerk

It's the same error here too. Still, when you go to the e:/whereint/wwcd/deluxe directory, there is a file called carmen.bat. This bat file seems to have some kind of corruption inside.

When I delete this bat and create a new one with the editor and write d:\carmen.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 in this file and save it, everything works afterwards.

HK-47

Unread post by HK-47 »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:56 am

It's the same error here too. Still, when you go to the e:/whereint/wwcd/deluxe directory, there is a file called carmen.bat. This bat file seems to have some kind of corruption inside.

When I delete this bat and create a new one with the editor and write d:\carmen.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 in this file and save it, everything works afterwards.

This worked. Thanks!

heinzgruber

Unread post by heinzgruber »

Hi,
unfortunately some games don't work. for example:

Discworld starts but freezes after few minutes

Hero’s of might and mag ich 1 don’t start.

FIFA 96/97 no files

Indiana Jones and the last crusda no sound

Kings quest II don’t start

Is this project still in development? An configurtion update would be nice.

Thanks

Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

I see that flynnsbit made some github commits to the project March 1, so looks like it's still being updated.

HK-47

Unread post by HK-47 »

Some of the games have known issues. I think they were previously marked in the launcher, although I don't see the markers in the latest version.

heinzgruber

Unread post by heinzgruber »

HK-47 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:29 pm

Some of the games have known issues. I think they were previously marked in the launcher, although I don't see the markers in the latest version.

all games i mentioned aren't marked as incompatible. i've checked this in the old menu (exit MyMenu with Esc and then type tdl for the old menu).