eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

Megahurtz

Re: eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

Unread post by Megahurtz »

I just downloaded the Top 300 pack and have been trying to iron out a quirk with it. Right now, none of the CD games work, but floppy games do. I'm using a CIFS setup that is kind of odd.

I have a directory shared on a server that mounts to /Games/CIFS and then has sub dirs for different systems. The Top 300 update script didn't like this path, so I had to pad it out to replicate the path the update script was looking for (/games/AO486). Due to this, my current path for the Top 300 pack is /media/fat/Games/CIFS/AO486/games/AO486. Not ideal, but the update script worked with that path.

I can mount the VHDs from there and the menu boots up, however CD based games are not working. I get the following message when trying to load one (MK1, for example):

Code: Select all

No files found => D:\*.*
ADD "cd/MK/mk1&2.cue" TO /GAMES/AO486/CD/.  RESTARTING.
In this example, I have the mk1&2 cue located in /media/fat/Games/CIFS/AO486/games/AO486/cd/MK. What's my best method to get this working with CIFS?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Megahurtz wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:26 pm I just downloaded the Top 300 pack and have been trying to iron out a quirk with it. Right now, none of the CD games work, but floppy games do. I'm using a CIFS setup that is kind of odd.

I have a directory shared on a server that mounts to /Games/CIFS and then has sub dirs for different systems. The Top 300 update script didn't like this path, so I had to pad it out to replicate the path the update script was looking for (/games/AO486). Due to this, my current path for the Top 300 pack is /media/fat/Games/CIFS/AO486/games/AO486. Not ideal, but the update script worked with that path.

I can mount the VHDs from there and the menu boots up, however CD based games are not working. I get the following message when trying to load one (MK1, for example):

In this example, I have the mk1&2 cue located in /media/fat/Games/CIFS/AO486/games/AO486/cd/MK. What's my best method to get this working with CIFS?
I would create a cifs share like \\server\mister and then in that put games\AO486\everything and then share the cifs at the root on the mister. Remove your AO486 folder off of your SD card (and also make sure you dont have an ao486 folder in the root of your sd as well) so that the games\AO486 on the CIFS mounts in the exact same location as if it were on the sdcard. then CD's should work.

Basically the mister will "mix" games folders that are both on the SD card AND on the cifs share if they only exist in one of the places. So if you have games/nes on the sdcard and games/AO486 on the share, on the mister you would just see GAMES/NES and GAMES/AO486 and each would go to their respective locations. Same for USB sticks and drives.

the imgset command in dos is pretty particular. I think it keys off of where the bios/vhd were loaded so that is your "root" and then my commands will resolve beneath that. I've always said the folders need to be exact, so: /media/fat/games/AO486/cd

You can try and run the dos command manually, then go into Win-F12 mister menu and see if it actually mounted. It might look like it mounted, but when you pick it (IDE 1-0) there will be nothing to "unmount". It will just give you the CD list again for where ever it tried to mount the mk cd.

Hope that helps.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

chocomochino wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:36 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:15 pm
chocomochino wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:35 pm

flynns, i still have my last exoconverter game list, but i have no idea how to export these structure so its compatible with the new mymeny game folder, because the mister export option adds the pre-menu, will there be a exoconverter release for use with my menu?
Yup, that is exactly what will be needed, ExoDOSConverter needs to be updated to drop the long file name folder of the game into the VHD now instead of the 8.3 conversion it does today. it's something on my list of things to do.
thank you, do you have a paypal where i can donate?
Thank you for the offer. Please donate to either Sorg (https://www.patreon.com/FPGAMiSTer) or Robert's (https://www.patreon.com/FPGAzumSpass) patreon as none of this we are doing on the AO486 core would be possible without their coding and effort.
Megahurtz

Unread post by Megahurtz »

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:32 pm
Megahurtz wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:26 pm I just downloaded the Top 300 pack and have been trying to iron out a quirk with it. Right now, none of the CD games work, but floppy games do. I'm using a CIFS setup that is kind of odd.

I would create a cifs share like \\server\mister and then in that put games\AO486\everything and then share the cifs at the root on the mister. Remove your AO486 folder off of your SD card (and also make sure you dont have an ao486 folder in the root of your sd as well) so that the games\AO486 on the CIFS mounts in the exact same location as if it were on the sdcard. then CD's should work.

Basically the mister will "mix" games folders that are both on the SD card AND on the cifs share if they only exist in one of the places. So if you have games/nes on the sdcard and games/AO486 on the share, on the mister you would just see GAMES/NES and GAMES/AO486 and each would go to their respective locations. Same for USB sticks and drives.

the imgset command in dos is pretty particular. I think it keys off of where the bios/vhd were loaded so that is your "root" and then my commands will resolve beneath that. I've always said the folders need to be exact, so: /media/fat/games/AO486/cd

You can try and run the dos command manually, then go into Win-F12 mister menu and see if it actually mounted. It might look like it mounted, but when you pick it (IDE 1-0) there will be nothing to "unmount". It will just give you the CD list again for where ever it tried to mount the mk cd.

Hope that helps.
You're right. The mister OSD shows a cue file mounted, but when I select it I'm taken back to /Games/AO486 on my SD card instead of the directory with the cue.

So there isn't any way to have the pack work without the CDs being seen at /media/fat/games/AO486/cd? I purposely set up my CIFS path to not point to /media/fat/games/[core] so that I could avoid the conflict you mentioned. By mounting my share to a different directory, I can keep a selection of cd images on my SD card but then have my full library available in the CIFS dir.

Maybe the issue is the location of the bios? I'm loading that from the sd card at /media/fat/Games/AO486 while your VHDs are coming from the CIFS dir. A path relative to your VHDs would work, one relative to the bios would not. There isn't any way to manually pick a bios to load for the core though so I think I'm out of luck if that is the case.

What I've discovered is that when I try to load up a cd game from the launcher and get that error message, I can manually navigate to and select the appropriate cue from the mister OSD. Once I do that, the game loads. If there isn't a way to gracefully use the CIFS mount in addition to what I have on my sd card, I might just do that for the time being.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Get rid of any and all reference to AO486 on your SD card including the folder and it might work.

This shouldn't exist if you are doing everything over that CIFS share.
"/Games/AO486 on my SD card instead "

Put everything including the bios in your cifs share.

Also one more idea would be to keep your CIFS folder structure but make a symbolic link for /media/fat/games/ao486 to whatever your cifs directory is so it "looks" like it is in the right place. I think you are right, it is using the relative path from where ever it loaded the bios from. all of my files in the pack assume this.
chocomochino

Unread post by chocomochino »

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:38 pm
chocomochino wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:36 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:15 pm

Yup, that is exactly what will be needed, ExoDOSConverter needs to be updated to drop the long file name folder of the game into the VHD now instead of the 8.3 conversion it does today. it's something on my list of things to do.
thank you, do you have a paypal where i can donate?
Thank you for the offer. Please donate to either Sorg (https://www.patreon.com/FPGAMiSTer) or Robert's (https://www.patreon.com/FPGAzumSpass) patreon as none of this we are doing on the AO486 core would be possible without their coding and effort.
Already a Patreon :lol:
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

Hi there, first off thanks so much for putting this top 300 DOS pack together. I downloaded and transferred everything to my MiSTer and everything worked great but then I ran the AO486_Update_Top300_Pack.sh script which looked like it finished successfully but now when I try to run the pack it just boots me to a command prompt. I sent a screenshot below, also I made sure the VHDs were correctly specified. I also tried manually running a few games from the command prompt and noticed there was no mouse loaded. Any idea what's wrong with my setup?
1.jpg
1.jpg (99.84 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (105 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

netbeui wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:27 pmI also tried manually running a few games from the command prompt and noticed there was no mouse loaded. Any idea what's wrong with my setup?
Looks like maybe your C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT is missing or corrupt...
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

I tried re-downloading the IDE-0 VHD and everything worked again but I was getting the warning below so I re-ran the updater script and everything seems to be back to normal 👏🏻
Attachments
6438F99D-CE8C-4D68-A7DA-45E876AE0E5B.jpeg
6438F99D-CE8C-4D68-A7DA-45E876AE0E5B.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 7617 times
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

What a fantastic pack thank you very much 8-)
Shuffle7

Shuffle7 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:06 pm What a fantastic pack thank you very much 8-)
I’m having an issue with getting the updater to work - it cannot locate my files off my usb hard drive . I’ve seen all of the posts relayed to this issue but I still can’t get it to work . I have the uni file set to BASE_PATH=/media/usb0/games/AO486 but when I run the update it said it’s cannot locate it in games/ap486/games/vhd file etc…. What am I doing wrong I’ve tried so many paths ?

I’ve deleted the ao486 off the sd card. But it reappears again anyhow but no downloads are in that folder
syntax_x

Unread post by syntax_x »

Leave it as

BASE_PATH=/media/usb0
Shuffle7

syntax_x wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:54 pm Leave it as

BASE_PATH=/media/usb0
This has worked - thank you - I was tearing my hair out over this since last night !! Thanks !!
SSEpochX

Unread post by SSEpochX »

Is there any solution to getting voices to work in Kyrandia 2 - HOF. Voices are working correctly in 1 and 3.

The compatibility sheet says "CD iso has a & in the kyra3/fables&.cue and fables&.iso remove the & add TRACK 02 AUDIO hack to CUE file if using cue."

But I'm not familiar with the Track 02 Audio hack, and changing anything inside the cue file updates the modified date, which prevents the exo launcher from finding the file when starting the game.
ninjaz0mbie

Unread post by ninjaz0mbie »

Any chance this top-300 pack will be updated to utilize the fancy new MyMenu DOS frontend found in Flynn's shareware pack?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

ninjaz0mbie wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:36 pm Any chance this top-300 pack will be updated to utilize the fancy new MyMenu DOS frontend found in Flynn's shareware pack?
Yup, I am making it, slowly. The scripting has to work for the conversion and it will be a non-rollback upgrade so it has to work 100%. I'll probably just upload a fully updated VHD as well.
Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Oh great news!!
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Thank you so much for all this work. Be sure many people will enjoy it thoroughly :)
metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

For the life of me i cant get Star Wars Rebel Assault 2, X Wing or Tie Fighter to play, ive tried all the memory options.
darkavengerbr

Unread post by darkavengerbr »

Great work! I installed and most games work fine. I updated using the update 300 script, but, cant get one of my most beloved dos shooters to work : Tyrian (and its sequel).

Any tips for get it work , or it doesnt work in the current version?

Again, thanks a lot for your work!
metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

Ive been trying to trouble shoot my inability to get a lot of games working - the error message that comes up is "error in sound config", i havent made any changes to the sound config other than to enable the MT32 option, but even loading soundblaster games i am getting this error on a lot of games.

Could someone point me in the right direction ?

edit: i havent changed anything at all other than everything is ran off an external hard drive, is there specific core files that need to be on the sd card?

Further testing, in games like the talkie monkey island i get no voices at all on these games, so it seems to be a problem with cd audio specifically.

exact error - "error in sound config! run install program to setup your sound card for TIE FIGHTER CD"
ninjaz0mbie

Unread post by ninjaz0mbie »

flynnsbit wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:04 am
ninjaz0mbie wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:36 pm Any chance this top-300 pack will be updated to utilize the fancy new MyMenu DOS frontend found in Flynn's shareware pack?
Yup, I am making it, slowly. The scripting has to work for the conversion and it will be a non-rollback upgrade so it has to work 100%. I'll probably just upload a fully updated VHD as well.
Oh, that's exciting news! Thank you for working on this. If you need a guinea pig to test out the non-rollback upgrade, I'm happy to help ;)
aperfectcirclefan

Unread post by aperfectcirclefan »

Hey there, I absolutely love this pack and the work done to it. However, i'm having real bad performance issues on some games and i'm not sure if tha'ts on purpose due to the MISTer or if I bungled something. IN particular is Grand Prix II. In the menus the game runs flawless but once in game it runs at ~5fps. This happens with several games also to be honest. Any idea whats causing it? I've tried all memory modes and same thing.

Pirates crashes when you select Tandy mode so i'm wondreing if its something i'm doing wrong.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

aperfectcirclefan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:26 pm Hey there, I absolutely love this pack and the work done to it. However, i'm having real bad performance issues on some games and i'm not sure if tha'ts on purpose due to the MISTer or if I bungled something. IN particular is Grand Prix II. In the menus the game runs flawless but once in game it runs at ~5fps. This happens with several games also to be honest. Any idea whats causing it? I've tried all memory modes and same thing.

Pirates crashes when you select Tandy mode so i'm wondreing if its something i'm doing wrong.
When I originally created the pack, I included specific games that didn't require the FPU but were pushing the limits of the speed the core could handle. The intent was to have some games the developers could use as a benchmark for future development optimizations. Obviously looking back I shouldn't have included any of those as no one has worked on optimizing the speed of the core since that initial push with the L1 and L2 caches. That was Robert way back on Jul 04, 2020.

I'll remove all of those games that are not considered playable in the next big update that includes MyMenu. There are probably 10 or so that don't work at all and about 10 or so that shouldn't be included. The point is, you are not doing anything wrong. Some games still have issues.
Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Good points! Looking forward to the next version!
aperfectcirclefan

Unread post by aperfectcirclefan »

flynnsbit wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:45 pm
aperfectcirclefan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:26 pm Hey there, I absolutely love this pack and the work done to it. However, i'm having real bad performance issues on some games and i'm not sure if tha'ts on purpose due to the MISTer or if I bungled something. IN particular is Grand Prix II. In the menus the game runs flawless but once in game it runs at ~5fps. This happens with several games also to be honest. Any idea whats causing it? I've tried all memory modes and same thing.

When I originally created the pack, I included specific games that didn't require the FPU but were pushing the limits of the speed the core could handle. The intent was to have some games the developers could use as a benchmark for future development optimizations. Obviously looking back I shouldn't have included any of those as no one has worked on optimizing the speed of the core since that initial push with the L1 and L2 caches. That was Robert way back on Jul 04, 2020.

I'll remove all of those games that are not considered playable in the next big update that includes MyMenu. There are probably 10 or so that don't work at all and about 10 or so that shouldn't be included. The point is, you are not doing anything wrong. Some games still have issues.
That's entirely fair and thank you for the speedy reply! :)
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

aperfectcirclefan wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:26 pm Pirates crashes when you select Tandy mode so i'm wondreing if its something i'm doing wrong.
AO486 has VGA compatible graphics. The VGA standard is backwards with EGA and CGA, but not the Tandy/pcJR standard.
rashohyo

Unread post by rashohyo »

Ho to everyone,
Someone can tell me why in Monkey Island 1 & 2 the Talki Version cannot have the subtitles? Tried with ctrl keys ingame but nothing happens...
Thanks
user7182

Unread post by user7182 »

rashohyo wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:55 pm Ho to everyone,
Someone can tell me why in Monkey Island 1 & 2 the Talki Version cannot have the subtitles? Tried with ctrl keys ingame but nothing happens...
Thanks
At least on Monkey Island 1 if you use Ctrl-T it will let you enable text and voice.
rashohyo

Unread post by rashohyo »

[/quote]
At least on Monkey Island 1 if you use Ctrl-T it will let you enable text and voice.
[/quote]

Great!! Thanks.
I still have problems with music in Monkey2 talkie version..it doesn't start also if i choose monkey2 a (for adlib sound)