SDRAM Reliability

optyfr

Re: SDRAM Reliability

Unread post by optyfr »

Don't worry, JT will find a solution to make CPS 1.5 to work with most of current SDRAM modules, but maybe a very little % of users will still get troubles with it (but those should also fail probably with the official memory test). Although, take it more as a warning for future cores that will require more and more BW with SDRAM...
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Alkadian wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:58 pm First of all thank you so much Jotego for your very much appreciated hard work!

Well, I am also one of the lucky ones with no ram issues at all apart from Slammasters which it won't boot. Infact I have got two mister setups with two 128mb ram modules. So I consider myself double lucky :mrgreen:

Anyways regarding the PSU query I have got mine which is a Mean Well unit rated @ 5v, 4A, 20W and again no issues so far...touch wood :D
Thanks Jotego! With the latest telease of the core, Slammasters runs perfectly fine! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I have spoken too early, after the first stage I have got illegal instructions error messages, but at least now it boots up! :D
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

That's kind of a hard demand of someone who puts in his personal time?
If Jotego (or any other author for that matter) had any interest of sharing his / her work then they would've made it public.

Also i think he has made a lot of his work opensource, just check his signature for his git.

EDIT:
Did someone just remove his post or did he remove that himself?
galibert

Unread post by galibert »

Sorgelig wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:00 pm Aside from SDRAM...
I was wondering, why sdram? synchronous static ram would give you an access every cycle, it seems (pipelined), and memory bandwidth on random access is a real problem, especially for arcade...

OG.
MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

jotego wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:22 pm
lamarax wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:31 pm I still have to ask though; what happened with the Street Fighter (Capcom 68000) core, and why this doesn't boot for anyone after having been updated to run @ 48Mhz, a measure taken to supposedly bypass the objective problems that you're describing re: existing 128MB modules?
I was in a rush and uploaded the wrong file. Apologies about that.
Ah. Glad I looked for a post about this... I didn't see a bug reported on the jtsf core about Street Fighter not booting after the latest update. Please don't feel rushed - I'm just glad it's not just me and Jotego is aware. Fantastic work. Take your time, and thank you (and literally every other core developer) for the nostalgia!! :D
jdeberhart

Unread post by jdeberhart »

galibert wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:45 pm
Sorgelig wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:00 pm Aside from SDRAM...
I was wondering, why sdram? synchronous static ram would give you an access every cycle, it seems (pipelined), and memory bandwidth on random access is a real problem, especially for arcade...

OG.
Because SRAM is stupidly expensive for anything more than a few hundred kilobytes. You'd easily be looking at $500+ USD for a 128 MB SRAM module.
jotego
Core Developer

Unread post by jotego »

I received a couple of weeks ago some SDRAM boards using the v2.9 design. This version uses a voltage regulator and has other improvements to prevent some of the issues discussed above. I have not found problems so far and measuring the memory supply voltage, is most of the time around 3.3V, with occasional peaking at ~3.7V and 2.8V. Remember that we were seeing peaks at 4.04V (max) and 2.38V (min) before and that the specification is 3.3±10%. So the voltage ripple is much better now and should not be a problem.

Although I have used several boards, I have only measured one. The voltage seen is across the capacitor besides device U4 (the voltage regulator).

Thanks to Nathan from MiSTer FPGA UK for the samples.
SDRAM v2.9 VDD-VSS.png
SDRAM v2.9 VDD-VSS.png (35.45 KiB) Viewed 4252 times
Open IP for many chips in my github account
RBF files for my MiSTer cores in jtbin
Support new IP and core development here