Gameboy Camera ROM Not Supported? [Solved]

Malan

Gameboy Camera ROM Not Supported? [Solved]

Unread post by Malan »

I tried to load the Gameboy Camera ROM but I'm stuck with a blank screen. Is there any way to make it work? I tried with several bios (official GB, GBC, SGB) with no luck.

My guess is that the camera is not detected and thus it won't boot, but I'm not sure.

The point is that I'm really interested about the "DJ" software included in this game, I played a lot with a real one and I think it's totally worth it. ;)
darksakul

Re: Gameboy Camera ROM Not Supported?

Unread post by darksakul »

Right now there only 2 PC Emulators that support the Game Boy Camera
[*]MGBA
[*]GiiBiiAdvance

The second was built purely to support the Gameboy Camera ROM with Web cam support.

The actual Gameboy Camera cart is unconventional for a GB cart and uses signals most game carts ignore.
And thus I can postulate that most emulators and even FPGA cores also ignore or leave out this signal.

You probably have to include the GB Camera circuitry into the FPGA core to get the Rom to even run.
Even then, you are probably better off with an actual Game Boy
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Malan

Unread post by Malan »

I see, that makes sense indeed. It may be easier to hack the ROM to run the non camera features I guess, but so far I didn't find any hack related stuff about that. Well, looking forward to a way in.

Thanks for your reply anyway!
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

I have it working already so this will be coming soon. Luckily the Camera part doesn't need to be emulated.
Malan

Unread post by Malan »

That was fast! Awesome work, I can't wait to try this :)