Gyro Support for Controllers

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
EeK

Gyro Support for Controllers

Unread post by EeK »

Is this something that is feasible to implement in MiSTer?

Some cores support gyro controls (like the GBA core, by FPGAzumSpass), but they have to be mapped to the analog stick. And since MiSTer already supports a variety of input devices with gyro (DS4, DualSense, Switch controllers, etc.), it would be interesting to have all of their functionalities unlocked.

Possible use case scenarios:

- Games with tilt sensors;
- Alternative to mouse input, paddle, trackpad/trackball (so you don't have to drag the cursor/pointer around);
- Light gun games (similar to gyro aiming in FPS titles).

Please check out the the Gyro Wiki, by JibbSmart, to learn more.
Weario

Re: Gyro Support for Controllers

Unread post by Weario »

I would also like to see this supported. I'd love to play Wario Ware Twisted with a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller or a Wii remote.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Thanks for creating this thread in the input devices, and including my recommendation for paddle and trackball support, if feasable.

I second your motion for gyro support and with so many modern controllers supporting gyro, it seems like it'd be a missed opportunity if it wasn't implemented in MiSTer. Especially given the low latency of PS4 controllers.
Weario

Unread post by Weario »

Bumping this. Maybe It's possible to convert the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller's gyro to analog input somehow?
Longtime4321

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

This is almost a nessecity for the games that use gyro. GBA core devs, pls get on this
Weario

Unread post by Weario »

Longtime4321 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:31 am This is almost a nessecity for the games that use gyro. GBA core devs, pls get on this
As FPGAzumSpass mentioned before on the GBA forum thread, gyro support needs to be added on the Mister Main. And I assume that is required before anything can be done on the other cores.
Weario

Unread post by Weario »

Bumping this.
I also recently got my hands on the 8bitdo ultimate bluetooth controller which also supports gyro (in Switch mode only I think).
I wish I could try this with the Mister.

Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Gyro sensors are tend to spam with messages a lot. It slowing down the processing and may affect the core work. It also introduce a large input lag because each gyro message has to be processed even if it's not used. So gamepads with gyroscope such as DS3-5 have workarounds to block gyro messages at kernel level, so they won't reach the Main.

Longtime4321

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

If there's one thing I've learned watching the progress of the MiSTer project, it's that where there's a will there's a way. What if there was a device that intercepted controller input to strip it of gyro data, so that gyro messages won't have to be processed by the MiSTer itself? Just throwing out ideas here.
For those who think an external device would be too niche to be warranted for the few gyro games, I would like to point to the RTC module.

Weario

Unread post by Weario »

Well, maybe someday there will be a creative solution for this. There are many niche things with the Mister, but I understand that they have to play nice as well.