tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
rbz

Re: tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Unread post by rbz »

Updates to the i2c2oled and tty2oled picture viewer: https://venice1200.github.io/MiSTer_tty2oled_Pictures/
  • Added support for single color i2c displays
  • Automatically invert the header when viewing in single color
  • Added a search to filter the results to find a specific core / setname
  • Added a zoom on hover for images
viewer-update.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

RealLarry wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:36 pm Part #2 and the last one of today's work. Picture invasion!!! And before anyone asks why I'm so slow for that handful of picture, my answer is stick a finger up your nose, I have twice the work with it (GSC for tty2oled and JPG for tty2tft). :ugeek:
Need a drink now as I suffer from a pixelaria.
How’s the tty2tft project coming along RealLarry? Having full color images (and potentially video) for the MiSTer would be pretty awesome. :D
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Nice updates rbz! That web tool is really nice.

Damn Larry, you have been smashing them out! What is tty2tft? Do we need a new column on the sheet?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

OnCor wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:00 pm
RealLarry wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:36 pm Part #2 and the last one of today's work. Picture invasion!!! And before anyone asks why I'm so slow for that handful of picture, my answer is stick a finger up your nose, I have twice the work with it (GSC for tty2oled and JPG for tty2tft). :ugeek:
Need a drink now as I suffer from a pixelaria.
How’s the tty2tft project coming along RealLarry? Having full color images (and potentially video) for the MiSTer would be pretty awesome. :D
It's alomst finished but needs some code cleanups. I'm planning a release in the near future. One can say "when it's done", but doesn't take so much time like Duke Nukem Forever :)
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:11 amDamn Larry, you have been smashing them out! What is tty2tft? Do we need a new column on the sheet?
Yeah, looks like I'm the only one who understands (or take care of) the relation between cores, MAME and <setname> for the sheet. And when adding things to the sheet I can't hold on me to take care of the pictures when I get the chance. :)

Have a look at the search function to get an idea of the tty2tft. I also thought about in adding a column for that device, but not neccessary yet - and there is already an adequate picture for the tty2tft where is an existing one for tty2oled. Of course. I've done almost all of them ;)
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

RealLarry wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:35 pm
OnCor wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:00 pm How’s the tty2tft project coming along RealLarry? Having full color images (and potentially video) for the MiSTer would be pretty awesome. :D
It's alomst finished but needs some code cleanups. I'm planning a release in the near future. One can say "when it's done", but doesn't take so much time like Duke Nukem Forever :)
Very cool. 8-)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Found two more setnames while digging in the jungle. Pictures done and uploaded, sheet updated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Nice one. Are you struggling to find the setnames for the others not yet done on the sheet?
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Ross_Jolet wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:27 pm So I tried a different USB cable and that seems to have been at least part of the problem. Instead of just the tty2oled logo I’m getting the MiSTer logo on the screen and the updater runs all the way through without errors. The problem now is that it won’t change when I change cores.
If you get the MiSTer Logo after the tty2oled logo the display has received sucessful the MENU picture.
What happens if you start a core, nothing?
Or did the screen show any text?

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:28 pm Nice one. Are you struggling to find the setnames for the others not yet done on the sheet?
Yes, some are ambiguous like Draw Poker and Fantasy, some aren't known at all like Sebring, Tube Chase and Vertigo. But whatever, these cores will be finished (for MiSTer) in a distant future, so no hurry for me. Good things take time.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

If I counted correctly we have GSC Support for 1033 :shock: Cores.
Many many thanks guys :)

Ross_Jolet

Unread post by Ross_Jolet »

venice wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:39 pm
Ross_Jolet wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:27 pm So I tried a different USB cable and that seems to have been at least part of the problem. Instead of just the tty2oled logo I’m getting the MiSTer logo on the screen and the updater runs all the way through without errors. The problem now is that it won’t change when I change cores.
If you get the MiSTer Logo after the tty2oled logo the display has received sucessful the MENU picture.
What happens if you start a core, nothing?
Or did the screen show any text?
tty2oled5.JPG
This is all the screen will show after I change cores. Whenever I get the message that the updater created a tty2oled_user.ini.bak and to copy my settings over to the blank tty2oled_user.ini I do that and run the updater again like the script asks you to do. When I look at the files after that the tty2oled.user.ini is blank again.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

venice wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:22 pm If I counted correctly we have GSC Support for 1033 :shock: Cores.
No, wrong. They're at least 1036 ;)
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Ross_Jolet wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:45 pm This is all the screen will show after I change cores. Whenever I get the message that the updater created a tty2oled_user.ini.bak and to copy my settings over to the blank tty2oled_user.ini I do that and run the updater again like the script asks you to do. When I look at the files after that the tty2oled.user.ini is blank again.
The Picture you should see should look like
canvas.png
If not there is something wrong.
I cant see the frame of the display, could you make better picture please.

The tty2oled-user.ini should be empty unless you need something specific for your setup like a different tty device (/dev/ttyACMx) or changed Screensaver settings.
Everything what is needed for a standard setup is within tty2oled-system.ini and should not been changed.
See here for more information: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... n#ini-file

salamantecas

Unread post by salamantecas »

RealLarry wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:46 pm
Moondandy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:11 amDamn Larry, you have been smashing them out! What is tty2tft? Do we need a new column on the sheet?
Yeah, looks like I'm the only one who understands (or take care of) the relation between cores, MAME and <setname> for the sheet. And when adding things to the sheet I can't hold on me to take care of the pictures when I get the chance. :)

Have a look at the search function to get an idea of the tty2tft. I also thought about in adding a column for that device, but not neccessary yet - and there is already an adequate picture for the tty2tft where is an existing one for tty2oled. Of course. I've done almost all of them ;)
wishing I could somehow test that color tft2 and be able to do magic with the screens, anxiously awaiting the rainbow ;)
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

venice wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:13 am
Hi Venice

I received my ttyoled from here:
https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/tty2oled/

I plugged it in but I can't seem to get any connection. I have a Multisystem with a SSD attached which uses USB0. I also have a WiFi/BT Dongle plugged.
I tried all USB from 1 to 7 but none seem to get a connection. I also tried 3 different USB cables but nothing changed.
What am I missing?

Attached you see the ttyoled and the message after running the update script.
Ross_Jolet

venice wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:13 am
Ross_Jolet wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:45 pm This is all the screen will show after I change cores. Whenever I get the message that the updater created a tty2oled_user.ini.bak and to copy my settings over to the blank tty2oled_user.ini I do that and run the updater again like the script asks you to do. When I look at the files after that the tty2oled.user.ini is blank again.
The Picture you should see should look like
canvas.png

If not there is something wrong.
I cant see the frame of the display, could you make better picture please.

The tty2oled-user.ini should be empty unless you need something specific for your setup like a different tty device (/dev/ttyACMx) or changed Screensaver settings.
Everything what is needed for a standard setup is within tty2oled-system.ini and should not been changed.
See here for more information: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... n#ini-file
I deleted all files associated with tty2oled and started from scratch. I ran update_all and let that download the update_tty2oled script. I then ran the update_tty2oled script. I then added the tty2oled-user.ini file to media/fat/tty2oled that I downloaded from the Github page. I ran the updater one more time after that. At this point I powered off then on the MiSTer. When it came back to the menu I got the first picture you see. I didn't change any settings in the tty2oled-user.ini file. I will also attach a better picture and a link to the site where I bought it for reference. https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/tty2oled/
[/attachment]
tty2oled6.JPG
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

The Easter variation is a really nice touch btw! Saw it pop up yesterday when I got around to testing MiSTer SAM again, which runs really well now.
neogeo81

Ross_Jolet wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:38 am

I deleted all files associated with tty2oled and started from scratch. I ran update_all and let that download the update_tty2oled script. I then ran the update_tty2oled script. I then added the tty2oled-user.ini file to media/fat/tty2oled that I downloaded from the Github page. I ran the updater one more time after that. At this point I powered off then on the MiSTer. When it came back to the menu I got the first picture you see. I didn't change any settings in the tty2oled-user.ini file. I will also attach a better picture and a link to the site where I bought it for reference. https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/tty2oled/

So you just deleted everything, downloaded everything, turned it off and turned back on and it worked?
I see you also have several USB devices connected and an external HDD correct?

Then it must be that i overdid something or the cables i have are not compatible.
Ross_Jolet

neogeo81 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:52 pm
Ross_Jolet wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:38 am

So you just deleted everything, downloaded everything, turned it off and turned back on and it worked?
I see you also have several USB devices connected and an external HDD correct?

Then it must be that i overdid something or the cables i have are not compatible.
You have to go to the GitHub page and download the zip. https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tty2oled Then copy the tty2oled-user.ini to the media/fat/tty2oled folder. When I did that the updater ran all the way through. The picture still doesn’t change when I change cores though. I don’t think it matters which USB you have it plugged into.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Hi Guy's,
the first thing for you is to figure out which serial device your display is using.

Run the commands

Code: Select all

lsusb
and

dmesg | grep tty 
in a ssh session or at the local console (F9) to get more information about your USB system and post the result here.

Example output
2022-04-14 21_09_04-MiSTer2 (192.168.0.75).png

Again, you don't need to download the tty2oled-user.ini file from github.
You need to add INI option lines to the tty2oled-user.ini file only if you need to override the settings in the tty2oled-system.ini file.

Example:
You serial device is called

ttyACM0
instead of

ttyUSB0
To get your display working you need to add only the line

TTYDEV="/dev/ttyACM0"
to your tty2oled-user.ini file.

I hope this helps a bit.

Happy Eastern :mrgreen:

hellbent

Unread post by hellbent »

latest gif... been busy so haven't had a lot of time to work on these but we'll see what the weekend brings

@h3llb3nt.bsky.social

Reg

Unread post by Reg »

Loving the "Easter" logo for this.

Is there a change I can make to keep it permenatly - don't actually want to lose that one once Easter is over ?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Reg wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:17 pm Loving the "Easter" logo for this.

Is there a change I can make to keep it permenatly - don't actually want to lose that one once Easter is over ?
Thanks! I'm having fun in making small changes to the menu picture to pont to s special time :)
I'm maintaining a local repository for these pictures, but if you want if to keep it for yourself just copy and reaname it to another space, i.e. an USB stick. Or move (and rename) it to /media/fat/tty2oled/pics_pri on your MiSTer. This folder is for your very own pictures that won't be touched by tty2oled, but if there is a picture of the same name inside the regular folder, the one in pics_pri are favorized.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

While I was busy and walking with the dead, I've missed yesterdays JTFriday. But here it is, the picture for Jotego's new Beta: Track & Field.
Picture uploaded and sheet updated.
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

RealLarry wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:32 am

Thanks! I'm having fun in making small changes to the menu picture to pont to s special time :)
I'm maintaining a local repository for these pictures, but if you want if to keep it for yourself just copy and reaname it to another space, i.e. an USB stick. Or move (and rename) it to /media/fat/tty2oled/pics_pri on your MiSTer. This folder is for your very own pictures that won't be touched by tty2oled, but if there is a picture of the same name inside the regular folder, the one in pics_pri are favorized.
Brilliant - thank you.

...actually, maybe a mod on the script for venice or yourself to consider ?

Could it not look at festivals for example and do dedicated pics ?

...if date is between 20th - 25th Dec - Xmas Logo.
...if date is between x and y - Easter Logo ( bit harder due to seasons but if the script is updated one a year this can be captured ).

...there are so many holidays in the year - just a thought !
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Reg wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:06 am
RealLarry wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:32 am

Brilliant - thank you.

...actually, maybe a mod on the script for venice or yourself to consider ?

Could it not look at festivals for example and do dedicated pics ?

...if date is between 20th - 25th Dec - Xmas Logo.
...if date is between x and y - Easter Logo ( bit harder due to seasons but if the script is updated one a year this can be captured ).

...there are so many holidays in the year - just a thought !
Nice idea I already had last year when I made the xmas and new years eve pictures. I'll have a talk to venice about this.
Most if not all these dates are having a fixed or calculable date. A problem with this might be which dates to respect. Christian? Hindu? Jewish? Islamic? Or all together, but then there will be a new picture every day ;)
neogeo81

Stupid question:

Do GIFs work on the grayscale displays?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

neogeo81 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:00 pm Stupid question:

Do GIFs work on the grayscale displays?
Not a stupid question...but no, not directly. You can use a GIF as an origin which has to be reworked and rescaled. Have a look at the wiki to see what has to be done.
salamantecas

Unread post by salamantecas »

hello, has anyone experienced strange things on the screen after updating linux? It looks worse than before in my case and it is somewhat unstable, sometimes the image of the core is lost and it comes out as if it were starting. With the previous version of linux everything was fine I don't know if it has something to do with it or not. Someone else happens?

p.d.

it seems that after being on for a while the screen stabilizes

I leave you an alternative screen for the jotego track & field

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8xluivbg ... d.gsc/file