tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

Hmmm... >1000 views in a month. Looks like you've sucked blood. Well, you wanted it hard and you wanted it bad, so here's a further preview:

IMG_20220204_164931.jpg

...and if you still can't get no satisfaction:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

RealLarry wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:30 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:52 pmEDIT: I had an (unrelated) idea: We have alternative logos for cores. What if the logos would change to the next one every x seconds (user defined), while running a core. That would be a nice incentive for more alternative logos and help against the display burning in. No idea how hard that would be to add though.
I like this idea. I had something similar in mind (turning off the display after some mins) while typing the deamon months ago, but are lacking in ideas how to realize that within the daemon. Without russian rocket science I think this would led to another daemon, which keeps an eye at the running time of the actual logo.
I had a feeling it might be tricky to realize.

TTY2TFT looks really cool! I could imagine it playing old commercials of cores that are running.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

RealLarry wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:21 pm Hmmm... >1000 views in a month. Looks like you've sucked blood. Well, you wanted it hard and you wanted it bad, so here's a further preview:
What screen are you using for this? Looks great!
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:52 pm EDIT: I had an (unrelated) idea: We have alternative logos for cores. What if the logos would change to the next one every x seconds (user defined), while running a core. That would be a nice incentive for more alternative logos and help against the display burning in. No idea how hard that would be to add though.
I wondered if burn-in was an issue on these OLED displays like it can be for TVs. If you are playing a game for hours and the logo is being shown all that time it seems like it could be a concern. Perhaps even turning the display off after a certain amount of time would be helpful to avoid that?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:34 pmTTY2TFT looks really cool! I could imagine it playing old commercials of cores that are running.
Gosh, you're right! While developing this baby I finished today using dozens of 80s and 90s commercials of the computer and consoles for presenting the used core on MiSTer. Was very funny to relive these shows since childhood.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

OnCor wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:20 pmWhat screen are you using for this? Looks great!
This is a 8-bit parallel bus display (instead of a normal SPI display) to increase bus speed, so videos are possible. This one uses 320x240 pixels, but code and speed allows up to 480x320 (untested for now).
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

RealLarry wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:21 pm This is a 8-bit parallel bus display (instead of a normal SPI display) to increase bus speed, so videos are possible. This one uses 320x240 pixels, but code and speed allows up to 480x320 (untested for now).
I see. Are you using a display like this powered by an ATmega 2560 by chance?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

OnCor wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:03 pm
RealLarry wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:21 pm This is a 8-bit parallel bus display (instead of a normal SPI display) to increase bus speed, so videos are possible. This one uses 320x240 pixels, but code and speed allows up to 480x320 (untested for now).
I see. Are you using a display like this powered by an ATmega 2560 by chance?
Display is similar, but technical the same...but not driven by a powerless 2560 ;)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

OnCor wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:29 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:52 pm EDIT: I had an (unrelated) idea: We have alternative logos for cores. What if the logos would change to the next one every x seconds (user defined), while running a core. That would be a nice incentive for more alternative logos and help against the display burning in. No idea how hard that would be to add though.
I wondered if burn-in was an issue on these OLED displays like it can be for TVs. If you are playing a game for hours and the logo is being shown all that time it seems like it could be a concern. Perhaps even turning the display off after a certain amount of time would be helpful to avoid that?
The display is not set to the maximum brightness, to limit the chances of burning in. Still, if you use the same cores a lot there is a chance of it happening (alternative logos should help prevent that a bit).
RealLarry mentioned the idea of the display turning off automatically, but that would require a similar solution to changing logos every n seconds, both should help a bit against burn-in.

EDIT: And I looked a bit into how fast different OLED colors deteriorate. IIRC yellow has the longest life, then white, then green, while blue has the shortest life.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:17 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:34 pmTTY2TFT looks really cool! I could imagine it playing old commercials of cores that are running.
Gosh, you're right! While developing this baby I finished today using dozens of 80s and 90s commercials of the computer and consoles for presenting the used core on MiSTer. Was very funny to relive these shows since childhood.
Wow, that was fast :) Looking forward to seeing that in action, it should add a nice nostalgia factor to using a core.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:56 amLooking forward to seeing that in action, it should add a nice nostalgia factor to using a core.
With please - see next video, where tty2tft is playing alongside with tty2oled. And that nostalgia factor is exactly what I have in mind. The videos are optional and only played if existing, othewise the corresponding picture is showed, so no need to watch boring commercials again and again and agein :)

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:11 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:56 amLooking forward to seeing that in action, it should add a nice nostalgia factor to using a core.
With please - see next video, where tty2tft is playing alongside with tty2oled. And that nostalgia factor is exactly what I have in mind. The videos are optional and only played if existing, othewise the corresponding picture is showed, so no need to watch boring commercials again and again and agein :)
Really cool! That was exactly what I was thinking of.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:53 am The display is not set to the maximum brightness, to limit the chances of burning in. Still, if you use the same cores a lot there is a chance of it happening (alternative logos should help prevent that a bit).
RealLarry mentioned the idea of the display turning off automatically, but that would require a similar solution to changing logos every n seconds, both should help a bit against burn-in.

EDIT: And I looked a bit into how fast different OLED colors deteriorate. IIRC yellow has the longest life, then white, then green, while blue has the shortest life.
Good to know. Thanks for the info!
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

RealLarry wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:52 am
OnCor wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:03 pm I see. Are you using a display like this powered by an ATmega 2560 by chance?
Display is similar, but technical the same...but not driven by a powerless 2560 ;)
Very cool. 8-) This is definitely a step up from the OLED display for sure.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Thank you all for your comments regarding "Burn-IN".

I added a little "screensaver" function to the tty2oled testing FW version which draws small b/w logos to the display.
You can configure the used greyscale level and the re-draw-interval (in seconds) using the new command

Code: Select all

CMDSAVER,[Mode/Color],[Interval]
Mode/Color: 0=ScreenSaver off, 1..15 used GreyScale level 
Interval: 10..600
If you like to compile the Sketch by yourself you need to add the Library "Fast-LED" to your Arduino IDE if you use the TTGO-T8 or the d.ti Board.
If you want to download the testing version via the updater you need to add the optional Option

TTY2OLED_FW_TESTING="yes"

to your tty2oled-user.ini File.

After the firmware is installed you can test the ScreenSaver using the following cli/ssh command

echo "CMDSAVER,1,60" > /dev/ttyUSB0
Report Problems here.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

The tty2oled testing FW got a ScreenSaver Update.

The Command has now three Parameter:

CMDSAVER,[Mode/Color],[Interval],[LogoTime]
LogoTime: 10...600
The Logo is shown for the LogoTime-value (seconds).
After this the ScreenSaver Timer ist started.

Example:

CMDSAVER,1,10,120
Shows the Logo for 120 seconds and then start the ScreenSaver with the Interval of 10 seconds and 1 for the Color-Level.

OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

venice wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:15 pm The tty2oled testing FW got a ScreenSaver Update.

The Command has now three Parameter:

CMDSAVER,[Mode/Color],[Interval],[LogoTime]
LogoTime: 10...600
The Logo is shown for the LogoTime-value (seconds).
After this the ScreenSaver Timer ist started.

Example:

CMDSAVER,1,10,120
Shows the Logo for 120 seconds and then start the ScreenSaver with the Interval of 10 seconds and 1 for the Color-Level.
Nice work Venice! Will this new code work with the NodeMCU module?
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

I think so.

OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

venice wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:59 amI think so.
Very cool. 8-) Which logo is displayed on the screen when the screensaver runs?
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

OnCor wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:54 pm
Testing on the unit I got from you now. Looks like it alternates between a MiSTer logo and TTY2OLED logo that bounces around the screen periodically. And definitely works on your NodeMCU.
venice wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:15 pm Example:

CMDSAVER,1,10,120
Am I correctly understanding this to mean that it should show the core logo for 120s, then the screensaver which jumps around every 10 seconds? Would be nice to have a third parameter for screensaver duration--that way we could set it up to show the logo for a bit, then pop in the screensaver for a while, then go back to the logo.

Even better if there were some way to take existing logos, shrink them down to 1/4 size or so, and bounce them around as the screensaver. I'm guessing that wouldn't be trivial to do on the fly though. What about using the i2c2oled's smaller logos as per-core screensavers? That'd give you the best of both worlds. Big GSC logo at boot, and a core-relevant smaller logo when screensaving.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Sigismond0 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:07 pm
OnCor wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:54 pm
Testing on the unit I got from you now. Looks like it alternates between a MiSTer logo and TTY2OLED logo that bounces around the screen periodically. And definitely works on your NodeMCU.
Good to know. Thanks for testing that out! :)
Sigismond0 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:07 pm
venice wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:15 pm Example:

CMDSAVER,1,10,120
Am I correctly understanding this to mean that it should show the core logo for 120s, then the screensaver which jumps around every 10 seconds? Would be nice to have a third parameter for screensaver duration--that way we could set it up to show the logo for a bit, then pop in the screensaver for a while, then go back to the logo.

Even better if there were some way to take existing logos, shrink them down to 1/4 size or so, and bounce them around as the screensaver. I'm guessing that wouldn't be trivial to do on the fly though. What about using the i2c2oled's smaller logos as per-core screensavers? That'd give you the best of both worlds. Big GSC logo at boot, and a core-relevant smaller logo when screensaving.
Having the ability to add custom screensaver logos as well as customizing the intervals so you could display the original artwork periodically would be very cool. Definitely interested to see what's possible here.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

I will leave the ScreenSaver functionalities like they are in the moment.

Btw. the i2c2oled Pictures doesn't help much as they have the same height.

Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

venice wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:45 pm I will leave the ScreenSaver functionalities like they are in the moment.

Btw. the i2c2oled Pictures doesn't help much as they have the same height.
Yeah no worries. Just spitballing ideas for potential feature updates in the future. As-is, it does the job.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

"Oops, I did it again" - Here are some missing ones. Sheet updated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

We released the ScreenSaver Update.

You will get an updated Daemon Script and a new User-INI File. Your tty2oled Device needs the latest FW installed.
Run your tty2oled Updater (twice) to get everything you need.

New Commands:
CMDCLSWU: Clears the Display Buffer without updating the actual shown Display Content. Good for playing around with Text or Geo-Functions.
Details: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... d-cmdclswu

Example: echo "CMDCLSWU" > /dev/ttyUSB0
CMDSAVER: Enable/Disable and set the Screensaver Options
Details: https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... d-cmdsaver

Example: echo "CMDSAVER,1,10,120" > /dev/ttyUSB0
This enables the Screensaver after 120 Seconds using a ScreenSaver-Picture-Update-Interval of 10 Seconds.
To enable the ScreenSaver set SCREENSAVER="yes" in /media/fat/tty2oled/tty2oled-user.ini.

If you like to compile the Sketch by yourself you need to add the Library "Fast-LED" to your Arduino IDE if you use the TTGO-T8 or the d.ti Board.

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Quick question guys. Do you think Matrix rain would be doable on this as a sort of screensaver? I have bought a screen and controller, i'm yet to build it into my case, but i purposely bought a green one in the hopes this might be possible. I'm only asking about feasability. Thanks.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

The tty2oled update script just made my tty2oled not function anymore. It asked if I wanted to update the firmware, I selected yes and the rest of the text displayed instantly and the script exited.

Now it still shows the tty2oled logo but no core logos anymore.

I assume updating it by hand should fix it.

Edit: It still displays 220105T
d.ti

Unread post by d.ti »

Did you try to execute the update script again?
Find my projects on Github: https://github.com/dtimber/
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

d.ti wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:05 pm Did you try to execute the update script again?
Yeah, I ran it multiple times and did a cold reboot. The update script can't connect to the display anymore.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Could you check the MiSTer for the correct tty device.
If I remember correctly your board needs /dev/ttyACMx in the user ini.

But the user ini was replaced with a new version by the Updater.
Means your settings are back to default.