Official MiSTer FPGA Discord

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Official MiSTer FPGA Discord

Unread post by Kitrinx »

Announcing the Official MiSTer FPGA discord server. MiSTer has a presence on many discord servers but the project has grown into needing a dedicated server of its own. I’d like to invite you all to please join.

https://discord.gg/4xKVg4XVYn
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Official MiSTer FPGA Discord

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I'm getting a message, which I can't close, at the top of the channel view, about having to enable two-factor authorization to be able to use mod functionality. But I'm not a mod at this server.
keilmillerjr

Unread post by keilmillerjr »

Banned from this channel for disagreeing that the moderator removed a link I posted to a mister ini generator, instead of having a discussion about it. Very nice dictatorship.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

If you start arguing with moderation in public you will have a bad time, no matter what server it is.
keilmillerjr

Unread post by keilmillerjr »

Newsdee wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:52 am If you start arguing with moderation in public you will have a bad time, no matter what server it is.
By definition, the word moderation is a quality of restraint and avoidance of extremes or excess. Moderation is not what occurred as there was nothing in extreme or excess with my original comment on the channel.
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

If someone could un-ban me on discord that would be awesome. Same username. Baby feets as display picture (came with the phone).
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Regarding Discord... I tried it several times but probably i'm too old, I don't really understand it.

To me it looks like a chat wich is fine, but it seems that people are using it like a forum, wich doesn't make sense to me. It is fluid, information is vanishing and you can not do researches like in a forum.

I've seen companies (was it blizzard or something similar) closing their help forums and using discord now. Don't understand that at all. If you have a question and the person with the answer logs in 5 minutes later, he will never see your question...

I mean, chat's are fine, IRC was fine, but it's, like the name implies, a CHAT. So what am i missing here? What is the benefit of discord?

Thanks a lot.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:32 pm
To me it looks like a chat wich is fine, but it seems that people are using it like a forum, wich doesn't make sense to me. It is fluid, information is vanishing and you can not do researches like in a forum.
It takes time to get used to. Things don't vanish, you can look them up with the search function. You can finetune the search in various ways. In the end I prefer traditional forums, but it seems they go extinct, evrn if I don't see why. At least Discord is not as terrible as facebook, the ZX Spectrum community is mostly on fb and it is terrible.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:32 pm I mean, chat's are fine, IRC was fine, but it's, like the name implies, a CHAT. So what am i missing here? What is the benefit of discord?
Chats can be organized into specific topics so that conversations are less transient. Plus you can search all the way back to the beginning of the discord channel being created. It's basically a replacement for IRC and not forums but it has hundreds of additional features over IRC which make it way more useful.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

We need to work together to stop information from sinking into Discord. Keep it where people can see it.
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:19 pm
It takes time to get used to.
Thanks all. I will try and fiddle around with it a little bit more.
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Kitrinx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:06 am Announcing the Official MiSTer FPGA discord server. MiSTer has a presence on many discord servers but the project has grown into needing a dedicated server of its own. I’d like to invite you all to please join.

Similarly to discord you can here quote people to, try to, get their attention.

I think I've proven here, on this forum, that I'm undeserving of a ban.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Karmeck wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:17 am
Kitrinx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:06 am Announcing the Official MiSTer FPGA discord server. MiSTer has a presence on many discord servers but the project has grown into needing a dedicated server of its own. I’d like to invite you all to please join.

Similarly to discord you can here quote people to, try to, get thire attention.

As far as I remember you were banned for being abusive to the MT32 PI developer
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

FPGA64 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:45 am

That's subjective.

I made the unfortunate mistake of asking questions from a developer that has small amount of tolerance for new users (even ridiculed them at times).

I made some suggestions for how to make things easier for new users. Most if not all of thees suggestions were however already implemente.

This is what mister dopefish felt was abusive?

I realized my mistake and apologized, somthing that in hindsight might have been interpreted as trolling.

So, I would argue I were not abusive. I was learning. Knowledge of the developers fragile ego, might have made me lowered the amount of suggestions made.

Looking at the hardware section here, mt32-pi issues are plenty, so it's not easy. I know much work has been done to the github page. But clearly, new users can not find it.

Dopefish made a guide he can use, not new users.
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

But let's be classy about this and invite the person we are talking about:
d0pefish wrote:
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

you made a series of demands as to how you wanted the project. You ignored the responses that MT32 PI is a generic project and not just for the Mister and then became more and more abusive when you couldnt accept this.
The documnetation for the project is extensive and well written in my view
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

FPGA64 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:38 am you made a series of demands as to how you wanted the project. You ignored the responses that MT32 PI is a generic project and not just for the Mister and then became more and more abusive when you couldnt accept this.
The documnetation for the project is extensive and well written in my view
For my self I can say that I never had an issue with mt32-pi being a general project.

However, this was not clear to me as I was still learning, don't think I even had all the needed boards at that point.

Does not help that I bought my mister second hand, and became owner number 3 if not an even grater number.

Missing pins and faulty ram.

My knowledge was very limited and my starting point at an disadvantage. Did not help that I, at the time, had no dedicated keyboard to my mister, so my solution to some issues were unusual.

It's unfortunate that most of my issues came to light during my installation process of the mt32-pi and mister dopefish had to answer questions that was, as I understand now, often repeated. And understandably tiresome.

But it's kinda a catch 22, as starting out I don't know how generic my issues were. I also avoided github like the plague for its un-user-friendly-nes, so that was fun getting use to.

But I have now learned, and as seen on this forum, tried to help others as they struggle with thire mt32-pi.

Mister dopefish can't, however, help himself from insulting the user for thir lack of knowledge befor helping them.
d0pefish wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:56 pm You're kidding, right?

Please tell me you're not connecting that cable between one of the Pi's own USB ports and the MiSTer's user port and expecting it to work.

MiSTer HATs have their own special connector just for MiSTer. The HAT in your photo is not for this purpose, it's for standalone use as a traditional MIDI device using MIDI cables.
d0pefish
mt32-pi Creator

Unread post by d0pefish »

TL;DR
Karmeck wrote: I'm entitled to better content made by other people for free.
If you're going to behave like a Karen because you can't follow instructions and choose to ignore the advice of multiple people giving up their spare time to repeatedly try in vain to help you, then expect to be excluded when they get sick of your behaviour.

Nobody is forcing you to use any of the free software you paid nothing for.

I also do not appreciate you following me around the internet and trying to get my attention after the fact. That is harassment.
danbee

Unread post by danbee »

Karmeck wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 am I made some suggestions for how to make things easier for new users. Most if not all of thees suggestions were however already implemente.

By suggesting things that were already there in the docs you made it clear that you had not read them yourself. This is an easy way to piss off the maintainer of any open source project, especially when you've been pointed at the docs multiple times.
Karmeck wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 am Dopefish made a guide he can use, not new users.
First of all, documentation is *hard*. Secondly, the documentation for mt32-pi is fucking excellent. Is it perfect? Of course not, but I would challenge you to find an open source project out there with more complete and better written documentation than mt32-pi. You'll find them few and far between.

Almost every question I've ever had, or seen come up, about setting up and running mt32-pi has been answered by the documentation. If anything new comes up d0pefish is very quick to add it.
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

I just want back on to discord. Lots of information there that I currently can't take part of.

The software might be free, but the hardware is not.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

FWIW, I just went through the mt32-pi setup guide and found it concise, clear, and easy. I won't know if I set the card up right until the adapter board shows later today, but it seems hard to get terribly wrong if you just read what's there. Format card fat32, extract files there, edit config.txt, add ROMs, and blend.

I can't imagine how it could be made any easier. It's not a Mister project, so it can't be tuned for that use directly. But it's a Mister-friendly project, because it only takes four or five edits to change its nature from a general-purpose synthesizer into a Mister-specific device.

edit: well, you do need the Mister-specific information that it's not a USB device. Instead, it's using a USB cable as a convenient transport for a serial signal. Plugging it in anywhere but the user port on an I/O board won't work, and could potentially damage something. But that's a Mister thing, not an MT32-pi thing, and the MT32-pi dev(s) isn't/aren't responsible in any way for that design.
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Malor wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:07 pm FWIW, I just went through the mt32-pi setup guide and found it concise, clear, and easy. I won't know if I set the card up right until the adapter board shows later today, but it seems hard to get terribly wrong if you just read what's there. Format card fat32, extract files there, edit config.txt, add ROMs, and blend.

I can't imagine how it could be made any easier. It's not a Mister project, so it can't be tuned for that use directly. But it's a Mister-friendly project, because it only takes four or five edits to change its nature from a general-purpose synthesizer into a Mister-specific device.

edit: well, you do need the Mister-specific information that it's not a USB device. Instead, it's using a USB cable as a convenient transport for a serial signal. Plugging it in anywhere but the user port on an I/O board won't work, and could potentially damage something. But that's a Mister thing, not an MT32-pi thing, and the MT32-pi dev(s) isn't/aren't responsible in any way for that design.
My staring point was, as previously stated, disadvantaged.

The board I bought secondhand, was missing pins and jumpers. Prior to receiving my mt32-pi and even to owning a mister, I never held jumper in my hand or knew what it was or what it is for.

The jumper on my board was moved to the vga.

The troubleshooting that the discord had to endure with me can not have been easy.

Admittedly, mister dopefish was helpful here and even provided a solution.

But all this was after I found out I had pins missing that needed to be soldered. Somthing I also don't regularly do.

On top of this I had faulty ram and no dedicated keyboard and mouse.

I now know all this I won't have thees issues again. And repeatability try to help others with the knowledge I have gathered.

And one day I get that updater working. Starting from scratch and using the installer would probably fix this.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

What I'm seeing there is a list of reasons why you think your behavior was justified, rather than any kind of realization that you blew it. From dopefish's reaction, it seems likely that you blew it very badly indeed.

I'm a moderator elsewhere, and without knowing the full context of what happened, just based on a few posts here, I don't find that argument especially convincing.

My opinion, however, is not relevant, as I'm not even on Discord.
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Malor wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:22 pm What I'm seeing there is a list of reasons why you think your behavior was justified, rather than any kind of realization that you blew it. From dopefish's reaction, it seems likely that you blew it very badly indeed.

I'm a moderator elsewhere, and without knowing the full context of what happened, just based on a few posts here, I don't find that argument especially convincing.

My opinion, however, is not relevant, as I'm not even on Discord.
It's an explanation why I might have been seen like such a noob. I hit all the classic mistake with second hand boards with all their issues.

I realize how incompetent I must have acted.

I kinda knew I blow it when I was banned.

I have since dedicated time to help others with similar issues and troubleshooted the top 300 pack and found issues with the core.

I'm not a troll, just a slow learner.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

You see I see you attack dopefish yet again with your Quote of July 18th. You just arent learning. MT32 is a great project, that it works with the Mister is a bonus but its not its primary purpose. The majority of the support is from Mister users who have bad hardware or havent read the extensive docs.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Karmeck wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:45 pm The software might be free, but the hardware is not.
Then send your complaint to whoever you paid, not to the people who made the free software. Hint: they are not the same people.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Karmeck wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:08 pm It's an explanation why I might have been seen like such a noob. I hit all the classic mistake with second hand boards with all their issues.

I realize how incompetent I must have acted.

I kinda knew I blow it when I was banned.

I have since dedicated time to help others with similar issues and troubleshooted the top 300 pack and found issues with the core.

I'm not a troll, just a slow learner.
Which sounds like an apology. I'd build from there.
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

d0pefish wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:36 am TL;DR
Karmeck wrote: I'm entitled to better content made by other people for free.
If you're going to behave like a Karen because you can't follow instructions and choose to ignore the advice of multiple people giving up their spare time to repeatedly try in vain to help you, then expect to be excluded when they get sick of your behaviour.

Nobody is forcing you to use any of the free software you paid nothing for.

I also do not appreciate you following me around the internet and trying to get my attention after the fact. That is harassment.
Here it is, my grievous offense of not understanding. I didn't intend to offended anyone or resorted to name calling.

I just did not understand what I was doing or what I was told to do.

I was learning.

I was banned for not understanding.

I think that is wrong.
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

Karmeck wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 am

That's subjective.

I made the unfortunate mistake of asking questions from a developer that has small amount of tolerance for new users (even ridiculed them at times).

I made some suggestions for how to make things easier for new users. Most if not all of thees suggestions were however already implemente.

I realized my mistake and apologized, somthing that in hindsight might have been interpreted as trolling.

So, I would argue I were not abusive. I was learning. Knowledge of the developers fragile ego, might have made me lowered the amount of suggestions made.

Looking at the hardware section here, mt32-pi issues are plenty, so it's not easy. I know much work has been done to the github page. But clearly, new users can not find it.

You were banned for harassing people, which we (the moderators of the discord server) got multiple complaints of. They were not just complaints from d0pe, who was actually gracious in giving you several chances to behave when I asked if he felt uncomfortable, but also several other users who were aghast at the way you were behaving.

Discord, and the servers there, are not a right. It's a group of people who are there to share a hobby and have a good time. If a person joins and treats another user in such a way that they feel stressed and like they can't escape.. well then that bad actor loses their privilege of being part of that.

Frankly your behavior here shows me that you haven't changed at all, and simply want to continue to stalk people and create problems, and I'd like to take the opportunity to remind you that these forums are also not a right. Leave d0pe alone. Don't harass other users, and try to contemplate the amount of time and skill others donate to this hobby so that you can enjoy yourself.
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

Kitrinx wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:01 am
Karmeck wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 am

That's subjective.

You were banned for harassing people, which we (the moderators of the discord server) got multiple complaints of. They were not just complaints from d0pe, who was actually gracious in giving you several chances to behave when I asked if he felt uncomfortable, but also several other users who were aghast at the way you were behaving.

Discord, and the servers there, are not a right. It's a group of people who are there to share a hobby and have a good time. If a person joins and treats another user in such a way that they feel stressed and like they can't escape.. well then that bad actor loses their privilege of being part of that.

Frankly your behavior here shows me that you haven't changed at all, and simply want to continue to stalk people and create problems, and I'd like to take the opportunity to remind you that these forums are also not a right. Leave d0pe alone. Don't harass other users, and try to contemplate the amount of time and skill others donate to this hobby so that you can enjoy yourself.
Behaving? Asking question and making suggestions are not banneble offenses. I understand that how thees things are presented do matter, but I do belive I were polite at all times. Persistent, but polite.
The way I see it, I was banned out of convenience.

I was never warned by any moderator, d0pe made clear that his patience was running out, but once again, that's not somthing you get banned for. And if so, I would have appreciated a warning from a moderator.

Maybe d0pe should take a page from Sorgelig book and keep to developing and writing guides on github. And let others handle suport.

Sorgelig understands this about himself, hence the disclaimer all over the forum. His message actually perfectly describes this situation, Sorgelig, however, chose to take a step back, instead of lashing out on new users.

I feel I have been mistreated (and/or disproportionately punished), there for an apology is hard to muster.