Best Video Scale Filter for PVM

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
holaplaneta

Best Video Scale Filter for PVM

Unread post by holaplaneta »

Hi there, I was playing with the neo geo core on my 20" sony pvm and realized that it did not look as sharp as I wanted. I went to the options and saw that the scale filter was set to INTERNAL, changed it to Custom and BAM! :shock: , I inmediately noticed sharper pixels, then I started playing with the options and ended up with INTERPOLATION (SHARP).

However I wonder that since I have a CRT if I should leave it at NO INTERPOLATION, also I do not know on how to go back to NONE in the Custom video scale filter. Does anybody know how I can reset the Custom selection to None?

Also, if one day I want to record my gameplay with the HDMI output while I am playing on the PVM, should I choose NONE for the video filter, or would it make more sense to choose INTERPOLATION (SHARP)? Does the scale filter selection apply to all video outputs at the same time?

In a nutshell, if you are playing on a good CRT what's the best scale filter to choose? :?:

Thank you for your suggestions and tips!
lister_of_smeg

Re: Best Video Scale Filter for PVM

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

Generally, you shouldn't be using any scaling when outputting to a PVM.

Make sure you have vga_scaler=0 set in your mister.ini
Sigismond0

Re: Best Video Scale Filter for PVM

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Do you have vga_scaler on in your ini settings? If so, turn that damn thing off. Scalers/filters don't work when natively outputting to your PVM, and using the vga_scaler function will very obviously screw with your picture quality and aspect ratio in most cores.

When using dual output, with vga_scaler off, it will output the console's native output with no filters directly to your PVM. The filters/scalers will apply to only the HDMI output, and you can pick whatever looks best to you.