PistolsAtDawn

Re: Sega Saturn Core in Development

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

pbsk8 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:19 pm
PistolsAtDawn wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:58 pm
AmintaMister wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:12 pm

Where?
https://github.com/SwedishGojira/MiSTer-scripts

If you use this script on your MiSTer it will fetch the newest build for you. Much better than manually downloading and copying to the micro SD card.

@SwedishGojira - Your script is much appreciated! Thank you!
I used the script but it still downloads the version from october 16th and not november 16th
You have to look in the Unstable folder instead of Console. I used it yesterday to get the November 16th version which I just verified that I have.
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

Here is the latest build from Github
If you can, please support Sergey's effort: https://www.patreon.com/srg320
Attachments
Saturn_DS_20221116.zip
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 207 times
Saturn_20221116.zip
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 382 times
Nickie

Unread post by Nickie »

helo guys, i don't know what i'm doing wrong but i can't for the life of me find any instructions as to how to set up the saturn core:

RBF is into console core folder
japanese BIOS (Sega Saturn BIOS v1.01 (1995)(Sega)(JP)(M6)[h].bin) renamed to boot.rom in a Saturn folder , which i tried putting in games folder per some old tutorial, then tried putting it in BIOS folder because sounds logical

result is always black screen, and running a game gives "CD ROM BIOS NOT FOUND!" message

what am i missing here?

ntt

Unread post by ntt »

Hi, same games may require also a specific BIOS named cd_bios.rom in their folder
Have a look to the readme here
Also the main Saturn BIOS file should be put into Games/Saturn as boot.rom (not in a subfolder)

Nickie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:20 pm

helo guys, i don't know what i'm doing wrong but i can't for the life of me find any instructions as to how to set up the saturn core:

japanese BIOS (Sega Saturn BIOS v1.01 (1995)(Sega)(JP)(M6)[h].bin) renamed to boot.rom in a Saturn folder , which i tried putting in games folder per some old tutorial, then tried putting it in BIOS folder because sounds logical

result is always black screen, and running a game gives "CD ROM BIOS NOT FOUND!" message

what am i missing here?

SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

Nickie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:20 pm

what am i missing here?

The bios you have is not the correct one, but modified (hence the "[h]" in the filename). Get the one named "Sega Saturn BIOS v1.01 (1995)(Sega)(JP)(M6).bin" instead as that is the correct one.

Nickie

Unread post by Nickie »

okay got the non [h] bios in the /Games/Saturn folder! and it works

not super intuitive, but it works :D thanks !

ntt wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:29 pm

Hi, same games may require also a specific BIOS named cd_bios.rom in their folder

it turns out the same games that gave me this CD ROM BIOS message do run with the right main bios , i assume that cd_bios acts as a game-specific bios override type of thing :?:

ntt

Unread post by ntt »

Latest UNSTABLE Saturn core builds, from yesterday.

Changelog:
[Sergey Dvodnenko 2022-12-01 d7f1d70]
Merge pull request #6 from NolanNicholson/peripherals
SMPC joystick peripheral handling

Links (Github):
Single SDRAM
Double SDRAM

Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

Would it be complex to at chd support or did I overlooked it? :)

ntt

Unread post by ntt »

I guess CHD support takes a backseat here until the core itself becomes more stable/ feature complete...

C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Are saves supported yet?

PhDTenma

Unread post by PhDTenma »

So, for the moment is not possible to have multiple bios as in the PSX core, right? But I can include a bios from JP inside a japanese folder in order to test it?

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

PhDTenma wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:47 am

So, for the moment is not possible to have multiple bios as in the PSX core, right? But I can include a bios from JP inside a japanese folder in order to test it?

PSX core? you are in the Saturn thread my friend.

MrSniffles

Unread post by MrSniffles »

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:09 am

They're asking if the Saturn core works like the PSX one does wrg to bios. (I don't know the answer)

neogeo81

MrSniffles wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:47 am

They're asking if the Saturn core works like the PSX one does wrg to bios. (I don't know the answer)

no, not yet

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

I'm trying the Saturn core for the first time and I'm using the Saturn_20221116.zip (Single SDRAM). I loaded up DOOM-USA and it got stuck after the intro at the green loading screen and went no further. I deleted it and copied it over again and now this time I just get a black screen. I also tried Bugs!-USA and that seems to work fine. I'm using the USA BIOS v1.01a. Any tips or tricks for running the Saturn core?

neogeo81

try using the multinorm bios you can find.

kubbie

Unread post by kubbie »

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:56 pm

try using the multinorm bios you can find.

I used this BIOS Sega Saturn BIOS v1.01 (1995)(Sega)(JP)(M6).zip and still get stuck at the green screen loading...

PhDTenma

MrSniffles wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:47 am

That was the question, yes :D

neogeo81

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:56 pm

try using the multinorm bios you can find searching on google.

PhDTenma

neogeo81 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:12 pm

try using the multinorm bios you can find searching on google.

Didn't saw this, I'll have a try, thanks!

silverharmonica

Unread post by silverharmonica »

I've been trying to get the Sega Saturn Core working over the past month with no luck.

The Sega Saturn bootup sequence doesn't begin when I try and load the core (I just get a black screen), and when I try to load any games I get the "CD ROM BIOS NOT FOUND" message.

I've tried the unstable nightly rbf files from 12/01 and 11/16 in the console core folder. I've also tried a variety of recommended BIOS files from this thread (one at a time to test them individually), and renamed them boot.rom by placing them in the Games/Saturn folder. So I think I've ruled out the BIOS files as the problem.

I'd love any recommendations or help. Thank you!

salamantecas

Unread post by salamantecas »

silverharmonica wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:07 pm

I've been trying to get the Sega Saturn Core working over the past month with no luck.

The Sega Saturn bootup sequence doesn't begin when I try and load the core (I just get a black screen), and when I try to load any games I get the "CD ROM BIOS NOT FOUND" message.

I've tried the unstable nightly rbf files from 12/01 and 11/16 in the console core folder. I've also tried a variety of recommended BIOS files from this thread (one at a time to test them individually), and renamed them boot.rom by placing them in the Games/Saturn folder. So I think I've ruled out the BIOS files as the problem.

Hello, the first thing is to know what type of Mister you have if it is official or not... and what types of memory it has. It seems that there are some unofficial flash drives that don't work at all even though it's from only one vendor. Give some more detailed information so we can better understand what's going on.

Arbitrary Function

Unread post by Arbitrary Function »

I watched the latest Saturn video from Video Game Esoterica, and there he talks about Elevator Action Returns now having working sound. The core version I have (December 1) has bad sound, but I can’t find a newer version. Or is there another place to look besides Github?

silverharmonica

salamantecas wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:20 am

Hello, the first thing is to know what type of Mister you have if it is official or not... and what types of memory it has. It seems that there are some unofficial flash drives that don't work at all even though it's from only one vendor. Give some more detailed information so we can better understand what's going on.

I purchased a pre-assembled Mister from ultimatemister.com (this model: https://ultimatemister.com/product/ultimate-mister-pro/) and it has XS-D 128MB SDRAM for its memory. The Saturn core is the only core I’ve run into trouble with, and I’ve had a lot of success with every other core I’ve spent time playing around with.

salamantecas

Unread post by salamantecas »

I purchased a pre-assembled Mister from ultimatemister.com (this model: https://ultimatemister.com/product/ultimate-mister-pro/) and it has XS-D 128MB SDRAM for its memory. The Saturn core is the only core I’ve run into trouble with, and I’ve had a lot of success with every other core I’ve spent time playing around with.

Mister's main has been updated lately there have been changes and maybe it could be related. I have tried 2 different memories and I can say that there is a memory that does not work at all with any game and it is the 4-chip memory of Villena in the official memory at the moment I have no problems running the games that say they work is a core highly desired by the entire community. a greeting

silverharmonica

salamantecas wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:49 pm

Mister's main has been updated lately there have been changes and maybe it could be related. I have tried 2 different memories and I can say that there is a memory that does not work at all with any game and it is the 4-chip memory of Villena in the official memory at the moment I have no problems running the games that say they work is a core highly desired by the entire community. a greeting

Thanks for the info! This may be a case where I'll need to be patient and wait for the official core down the line and see what pans out. If it's still not working then, I'll probably do a clean install on my SD Card with MiSTer Fusion and start over from scratch. I appreciate the help!

Nik73

Unread post by Nik73 »

I have the same pre-built mister from ultimate mister (except it has the blisster board) and finally got round to trying the Saturn core this week. Unfortunately I’m having the same exact problem as you.
Did you find any way around it? I’m hoping the sdram isn’t the 4 chip kind that doesn’t work.

silverharmonica

Nik73 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:39 pm

I have the same pre-built mister from ultimate mister (except it has the blisster board) and finally got round to trying the Saturn core this week. Unfortunately I’m having the same exact problem as you.
Did you find any way around it? I’m hoping the sdram isn’t the 4 chip kind that doesn’t work.

I still haven't found a solution, unfortunately. I'm curious if there's a way to identify if we have the Villena sdram that's been known not to work?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

silverharmonica wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:21 pm
Nik73 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:39 pm

I still haven't found a solution, unfortunately. I'm curious if there's a way to identify if we have the Villena sdram that's been known not to work?

Its simple his ram has 4 chips on the memory board. The official design has 2 chip on the memory board

Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Once the core is close to the finish line, there is absolutely no reason for not having th core work on the 4 modules model. It just makes no sense to focus on that for now though, but it's definitely possible. I grabbed a 2 modules a few weeks back and it works, it was mainly to test some dual sdram setup, but again I expect the official release of the Saturn core to be compatible with the 4 modules like every other core outhere, even is it doesn't come from SRG.