Sega Saturn Core in Development

Beeble

Re: Sega Saturn Core in Development

Unread post by Beeble »

pva wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:26 pm
Akuma wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:24 pm
FPGA64 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:47 am

You have to be logged into github
Then so must the end-user running this script, and that wont work.
You could require the user to supply a personal access token in an .ini file, but I suppose that would leave less tech-savvy users high and dry.
Would it break any rules to have it downloaded by a github user to some place like the psx core was before and distribute from there?
boogermann

Unread post by boogermann »

FPGA64 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:47 am
Akuma wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:07 am

There seem to be no download links attached to the artifacts.
You have to be logged into github
If you want a quick and dirty solution that would make it easier on your side.
Do the following:

1. Fork the repository.
2. On the sidebar under Releases, click Create a new release.
3. Click Choose a Tag, pick a tag name for example 20220907 then click on the + Create new tag: xxx on publish
4. Fill up the release title, could be the same as the tag name of whatever you want, then click Publish Release

This will trigger the workflow, compile the core and upload the artifacts for release which will be available on the sidebar under releases.
You can then make your script fetch the assets of the latest release via the github api at

Code: Select all

https://api.github.com/repos/<username>/<repo>/releases/latest
Based on the workflow you'll have 4 assets available. The JSON path for them are at [assets][0-3][browser_download_url]

Saturn_<tag>.rbf
Saturn_<tag>.rbf.sha256
Saturn_DS_<tag>.rbf
Saturn_DS_<tag>.rbf.sha256
and you'll have the download urls like

https://github.com/<user>/<repo>/releases/download/<tag>/Saturn_<tag>.rbf
https://github.com/<user>/<repo>/releases/download/<tag>/Saturn_DS_<tag>.rbf
PS: The workflow will compile both versions of the core on the same action, so expect it to take awhile to complete.
Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

boogermann wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:51 pm
FPGA64 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:47 am You have to be logged into github
If you want a quick and dirty solution that would make it easier on your side.
And who updates the fork when its a commit behind ?
Beeble wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:38 pm
pva wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:26 pm
Akuma wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:24 pm Then so must the end-user running this script, and that wont work.
You could require the user to supply a personal access token in an .ini file, but I suppose that would leave less tech-savvy users high and dry.
Would it break any rules to have it downloaded by a github user to some place like the psx core was before and distribute from there?
It can download files from anywhere, it just has to be anonymously accessible by wget or curl
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Akuma wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:04 pm And who updates the fork when its a commit behind ?
You can potentially make a GitHub workflow that syncs the main branch of your fork with the main branch of srg320's fork if you wanted.
birdybro~
Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

Sure, but the question in my department is more of a "how?"

Problems to solve:
1. I followed the instructions of @boogermann but I don't see any artifacts.
2. Keep the repo in sync

;)
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

Hi hopefully an easy fix. Now yesterday i had the core working fine, got a bunch of games to work the splash screen etc comes up. Im using bios 1.0 jap. I also use a usb drive. initially i had the boot.rom folder on my sd card and all the games on the usb drive. all fine. then when i ran update all it said 'no bios' found. ok.. so i put the bios.rom with my games on the usb drive. It worked again. Now running update all back to square one. I think it's the update all script thats messing it up but not 100% sure it's the only thing I can think off. Ive tried put the bios file back the SD card, even having one in each (sd card and usb). What is going on ,, because it simply says no bios found now. yet yesterday afternoon it was working for hours. any help appreciated. its another script getting overwritten changing the destination or something?
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Shuffle7 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:56 pm Hi hopefully an easy fix. Now yesterday i had the core working fine, got a bunch of games to work the splash screen etc comes up. Im using bios 1.0 jap. I also use a usb drive. initially i had the boot.rom folder on my sd card and all the games on the usb drive. all fine. then when i ran update all it said 'no bios' found. ok.. so i put the bios.rom with my games on the usb drive. It worked again. Now running update all back to square one. I think it's the update all script thats messing it up but not 100% sure it's the only thing I can think off. Ive tried put the bios file back the SD card, even having one in each (sd card and usb). What is going on ,, because it simply says no bios found now. yet yesterday afternoon it was working for hours. any help appreciated. its another script getting overwritten changing the destination or something?
Update all doesnt know anything about the saturn or Bios for saturn so it cant be the script
pepito

Unread post by pepito »

When this CORE will works on the Antonio Villena's Mister?
I remember as SDRAM issue blocking this core working fine.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

pepito wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:18 am When this CORE will works on the Antonio Villena's Mister?
He uses a non standard 4 chip design as such you cant expect the deveoper to handle a niche non standard design. Easiest way is to buy a standard 2 chip ram and fit that.

Once you leave the approved designs you are on your own
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

I have written a small script that will update the Saturn core to the latest successful build from the workflow.
It will also look for your Saturn directory and download the US bios if a bios is not already present. If it can not find an existing Saturn directory it will be created for you and the bios will be downloaded into the created directory.
You can find the script on my Github.

(I removed the bios part of the script as it was causing issues. I will release a bios script for Saturn separately later.)
djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

SwedishGojira wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:32 pm I have written a small script that will update the Saturn core to the latest successful build from the workflow.
It will also look for your Saturn directory and download the US bios if a bios is not already present. If it can not find an existing Saturn directory it will be created for you and the bios will be downloaded into the created directory.
The script didn't work for me. The error I received was "Read-only file system". I really do appreciate your effort though. Thank you
SwedishGojira

That sounds weird. It works for me and several other people and I've never experienced that error.
Do you keep your Saturn gamefiles on an external HDD by any chance?
djsquare

SwedishGojira wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:52 pm That sounds weird. It works for me and several other people and I've never experienced that error.
No but I do use a NAS because who doesn't want every single Saturn game at their finger tips. I've never seen this type of issue before
SwedishGojira

djsquare wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:19 pm
SwedishGojira wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:52 pm That sounds weird. It works for me and several other people and I've never experienced that error.
No but I do use a NAS because who doesn't want every single Saturn game at their finger tips. I've never seen this type of issue before
Have mine on a NAS also. No issues here.
But you have the core itself on Micro SD, right?
djsquare

SwedishGojira wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:41 pm
That's correct
SwedishGojira

djsquare wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:16 pm

That's correct
I messed up part of the script to install the bios. I removed that part and now this is a pure core updater script and hopefully will work better.
I am working on a separate Saturn bios script instead that I will release later.
Try running the script again and see if it will update itself, or just grab the updated script from github manually.
djsquare

SwedishGojira wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:22 pm
That's correct
I messed up part of the script to install the bios. I removed that part and now this is a pure core updater script and hopefully will work better.
I am working on a separate Saturn bios script instead that I will release later.
Try running the script again and see if it will update itself, or just grab the updated script from github manually.
That did the trick! Thank you again
SwedishGojira

djsquare wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:27 pm
SwedishGojira wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:22 pm

That's correct
That did the trick! Thank you again
Thank you for testing it out. If you don´t have the fancy ASCII art header that says "v.0.4" when you run the script, then redownload it from github. The auto updating feature was not working properly, but has now been fixed so it should work in the future when it is updated.
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

Shuffle7 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:56 pm Hi hopefully an easy fix. Now yesterday i had the core working fine, got a bunch of games to work the splash screen etc comes up. Im using bios 1.0 jap. I also use a usb drive. initially i had the boot.rom folder on my sd card and all the games on the usb drive. all fine. then when i ran update all it said 'no bios' found. ok.. so i put the bios.rom with my games on the usb drive. It worked again. Now running update all back to square one. I think it's the update all script thats messing it up but not 100% sure it's the only thing I can think off. Ive tried put the bios file back the SD card, even having one in each (sd card and usb). What is going on ,, because it simply says no bios found now. yet yesterday afternoon it was working for hours. any help appreciated. its another script getting overwritten changing the destination or something?
update - when i copied the bios file to the sd card or usb card it automatically gets named to boot.rom.rom so i deleted the first .rom (after the boot.) and it seems to work again?! p.s i always had it at boot.rom but maybe i deleted the wrong extension if this makes sense!

Also thanks for the update script above :)
SwedishGojira

SwedishGojira wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:32 pm I have written a small script that will update the Saturn core to the latest successful build from the workflow.

(I removed the bios part of the script as it was causing issues. I will release a bios script for Saturn separately later.)
Just added a helper script to github for updating the dual SDRAM core for those that want it instead of the regular core.
pepito

Unread post by pepito »

FPGA64 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:03 am
pepito wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:18 am When this CORE will works on the Antonio Villena's Mister?
He uses a non standard 4 chip design as such you cant expect the deveoper to handle a niche non standard design. Easiest way is to buy a standard 2 chip ram and fit that.

Once you leave the approved designs you are on your own
I just ordered a standard 2 chips.
Let's see.
thanks
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

Hi all :)

Would someone be so kind and link to the latest single ram version?
djsquare

Beeble wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:21 pm Hi all :)

use the update script posted in this thread
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

I did overlook it, thanks for the heads up!
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

djsquare wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:49 pm
Beeble wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:21 pm Hi all :)

use the update script posted in this thread
running that script, it automatically downloads the rbf file for saturn core?
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

In my opinion the simplest way is to create a free account on GitHub, when you're logged in the artifacts become downloadable - including those of the Saturn core.
SwedishGojira

pbsk8 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:27 am running that script, it automatically downloads the rbf file for saturn core?
It sure does. You will find it in the folder named "Unstable" on the MiSTer menu.
ntt wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:35 am In my opinion the simplest way is to create a free account on GitHub, when you're logged in the artifacts become downloadable - including those of the Saturn core.
That is exactly what my update script does, except that you don´t need a Github account at all.
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

SwedishGojira wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:57 am (...)
That is exactly what my update script does, except that you don´t need a Github account at all.
Great work, thanks!
MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

New test build today:
Single SDRAM
Dual SDRAM

REMINDER that this is a TEST BUILD, not Beta, not even Alpha. No reporting bugs. Just test it out and have fun! :D

Support srg320 on Patreon now: https://www.patreon.com/srg320

Slava Ukraini!
djsquare

MadDog wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:04 pm New test build today:
Single SDRAM
Dual SDRAM

REMINDER that this is a TEST BUILD, not Beta, not even Alpha. No reporting bugs. Just test it out and have fun! :D

Support srg320 on Patreon now: https://www.patreon.com/srg320

Slava Ukraini!
Awesome thanks for the heads up