Sega Saturn Core in Development

akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Sega Saturn Core in Development

Unread post by akeley »

Jegriva wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:21 pm Question: would it be possible to use the Saturn core as a start for STV arcade cores, or even implement the Sega STV core into the Saturn?
Some of y'all are really forward-looking. Me, I'm just sitting here with my fingers crossed and held breath, hoping this world's-first-holy-grail core will get over the finish line 8-)
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

srg320 is on fire, enjoy another video which shows the status of the development progress of the Sega Saturn core.

Progress update.

CPU: fix Slave SH interrupts.

VDP2:

-add support Coefficient table for Rotation Scroll Screen.

-fix Special Color Calculation mode 3.

SCU:

-many fixes in DSP. Now working some games that use DSP (Sonic R, VR Virtua Racing, Croc, Center Ring Boxing).

-rework DSP DMA.

porjay

Unread post by porjay »

Very exciting to see the progress being made. srg320 if you read the boards keep it up! It is crazy to see the magic you are bringing into the FPGA world.
ClassicGamerNL

Unread post by ClassicGamerNL »

Any updates on the core? I'm so excited for this one. :D
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

ClassicGamerNL wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:51 am Any updates on the core? I'm so excited for this one. :D
Usually Srg320 gives an status update once a months, more or less.
MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

Another update!!

Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

More details from srg320's latest patreon post:

Please be sure to support his work on Patreon if you can!

https://www.patreon.com/srg320

Progress update.

VDP1:

-add support 8bit framebuffer mode (hi-res) (Virtua Fighter, VR Soccer etc.)

-add support framebuffer access by CPU (Blast Chamber, Bottom of the 9th etc.)

VDP2:

-fix zooming in hi-res mode (Virtua Fighter).

SCU: fix A-BUS DMA access speed. Now about 20 more games are playable.

SDRAM1: got both memory chips to work interleaved (128MB sdram module) and created a separate memory channel on the second chip for SCSP RAM. This is the first step to the possibility of running the core on a single sdram module.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Srg320 is unfortunately in the middle of a war torn Ukraine. I hope he’s all right given the circumstances.

https://mobile.twitter.com/srg320_
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

C-R-T wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:28 am Srg320 is unfortunately in the middle of a war torn Ukraine. I hope he’s all right given the circumstances.

https://mobile.twitter.com/srg320_
He's literally the third person who I'm familiar with impacted by this. My heart goes out to Srg320 and his family
Dreams don't die!
vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

I don't have a twitter account, but I am very worried about Sergey. This insane situation...
I would pray if I were a believer, I hope he has gotten out of the country by now.
@srg320: You can come to Spain and live in my home if you need to! Peaceful country life, etc.
Alarm

Unread post by Alarm »

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

So glad he is fine, but that is a horrible situation. Thanks for sharing.
Captain FPGA

Hang in there Srg
Dreams don't die!
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

He said on twitter that he can access his Patreon money if anyone wants to help support him during all this mess.

https://www.patreon.com/srg320
Captain FPGA

You can also drop donate here.

https://www.spotfund.com/story/e3ce0932 ... FID=CfUokf

C'mon, let's lend Srg and other Ukranians all the help they can get!
Dreams don't die!
Raul3D

Unread post by Raul3D »

vanfanel wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:40 pm I would pray if I were a believer, I hope he has gotten out of the country by now.
@srg320: You can come to Spain and live in my home if you need to! Peaceful country life, etc.
He cannot leave Ukraine, even if he wanted. Men are not allowed to leave, only women, children and old people.
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Raul3D wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:29 pm He cannot leave Ukraine, even if he wanted. Men are not allowed to leave, only women, children and old people.
Many men left to take their families to safety and are now returning to fight. Unless you meant in Russian-occupied areas?
Raul3D

Unread post by Raul3D »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:31 am Many men left to take their families to safety and are now returning to fight. Unless you meant in Russian-occupied areas?
The Ukraine government has signed general mobilization, after that no men is allowed to cross the border and leave the country. All men I know brought there families to the boarder, but are still in the country. That's why all the refugees you see are women and children.
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Raul3D wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:01 am
PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:31 am Many men left to take their families to safety and are now returning to fight. Unless you meant in Russian-occupied areas?
The Ukraine government has signed general mobilization, after that no men is allowed to cross the border and leave the country. All men I know brought there families to the boarder, but are still in the country. That's why all the refugees you see are women and children.
Understandable though. This is a senseless and horrible war. My heart is broken for the Ukrainian people.
Captain FPGA

It's crazy how much retro gaming content comes out of Ukraine. Just between Krikzz and Srg alone!
Dreams don't die!
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:59 am It's crazy how much retro gaming content comes out of Ukraine. Just between Krikzz and Srg alone!
At this rate, the Saturn core is going to have to be smuggled out of the Ukraine on a USB key.
AfterBurnett

Unread post by AfterBurnett »

Raul3D wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:29 pm
vanfanel wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:40 pm I would pray if I were a believer, I hope he has gotten out of the country by now.
He cannot leave Ukraine, even if he wanted. Men are not allowed to leave, only women, children and old people.
Krikzz apparently got out and is in Moldova with his family :)
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Fallon wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:36 am
Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:59 am It's crazy how much retro gaming content comes out of Ukraine. Just between Krikzz and Srg alone!
At this rate, the Saturn core is going to have to be smuggled out of the Ukraine on a USB key.
When people worry more about a core than the actual person trapped in a situation they don't want to be in.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

I don't think he really meant it. I hope so at least. Let's just hope things are gonna get better for the people there soon enough. Last time I checked it was very very cold (-18 C°) Which seems to be bad for the population but worse for the Russian armies.
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Neocaron wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:29 am Last time I checked it was very very cold (-18 C°) Which seems to be bad for the population but worse for the Russian armies.
I'm pretty sure the Russian army is used to/dressed for cold weather....
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

DiamondDave wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:55 am
Neocaron wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:29 am Last time I checked it was very very cold (-18 C°) Which seems to be bad for the population but worse for the Russian armies.
That's not how cold works though. You need a heat source at all time for the vehicules and the people. They are probably draining their fuel way faster than they should have because of this. This unnexpected cold is making the invasion much harder. And they probably gonna fail and use even more bombs against civilians to make up for it. Anyway not really the place to talk about this. It won't end well no matter what because too many people died already for this war to have any good outcome. But at least I hope it will end soon.
Captain FPGA

Neocaron wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:33 am
DiamondDave wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:55 am
That's not how cold works though. You need a heat source at all time for the vehicules and the people. They are probably draining their fuel way faster than they should have because of this. This unnexpected cold is making the invasion much harder. And they probably gonna fail and use even more bombs against civilians to make up for it. Anyway not really the place to talk about this. It won't end well no matter what because too many people died already for this war to have any good outcome. But at least I hope it will end soon.
All I know is the Russian army has been getting their ass kicked the past 20 days. Even with the maternity ward bombing and laying waste to kindergartens they stay losing. They're only shelling civilians because they have no interest in picking on soldiers their own size, such as Zelensky's army.

Back on topic; something to celebrate among the Mister community is how Srg proved the naysayers wrong. That Saturn can be done on the Mister. Don't count him out yet! You guys will see he'll come back better than ever! With a new place and security.

If we're lucky perhaps years down the line he just might pick this project back up again. Even if he doesn't someone else just might. But that is made all the more possible due to his work.
Dreams don't die!
Enthropy

Unread post by Enthropy »

It doesn't matter if he returns to working on the core or not. Let's continue to support him through Patreon. I can't even imagine what hardships he will have to endure in the near future. But we can at least make sure that lack of financial security is not one of them. Money is not everything, but lack of money can make any situation even worse.
Captain FPGA

Enthropy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:39 pm It doesn't matter if he returns to working on the core or not. Let's continue to support him through Patreon. I can't even imagine what hardships he will have to endure in the near future. But we can at least make sure that lack of financial security is not one of them. Money is not everything, but lack of money can make any situation even worse.
Hard disagree. It does matter if he survives! It matters just as much if he survives and works on the core within his own comforts! Stop assuming the Mister fanbase are a bunch of monsters who only care about cores. If Srg decided not to finish this amazing Saturn core nobody would fault him for it, nobody even expected him to before nor after the war. Obviously, his survival is the number #1 priority that goes without saying.

However, to say that the core doesn't matter? I think it's safe to assume the core matters not just to us but to him. Srg put a year+ worth sweaty man hours into this thing when no one else bothered. He updated us every chance he got, admirable. It must matter a great deal to him. You had someone on this forum who literally said he wanted to cry when he saw this core! Because he lost his Saturn during childhood. Srg would've made his dream come true and there are a lot of people who feel this way. Also, I was trying to keep it on topic. If you guys prefer to talk about donations I'm chill with that but we should open up another thread or close this one.
Dreams don't die!
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Just a small reminder let's not have this thread go off topic anymore, please keep it on topic, any subsequent off topic posts will be removed, thanks.