Sega Saturn Core in Development

Captain FPGA

Re: Sega Saturn Core in Development

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Xbytez wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:29 pm Just a small reminder let's not have this thread go off topic any more, please keep it on topic, any subsequent off topic posts will be removed, thanks.
Sounds good 👍

What are the chances the Mister can handle SS 4MB Action Replay? I'm aware X-Men vs. Street Fighter and games like Alpha 3 are playable through the CPS2 core. It's always nice to experience the version differences you know? How little there maybe.

For that matter a KOF 95' ROM cart for Mister would be unprecedented.
Dreams don't die!
pepito

Unread post by pepito »

Is there a BETA CORE for a quick try somewhere available ?
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

pepito wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:16 am Is there a BETA CORE for a quick try somewhere available ?
Not at this time.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Now that we know that srg320 is safe (thank God), does anyone know if he's able to work on the core atm? Last I heard, his internet and phone was cut off due to the war. He mentioned that he'll continue to work on the core, and srg320 seems like the type of fellow to bury himself in his work, especially in such a difficult time.

I'm just curious if he can actually work on the core w/out internet. I'm not a core dev so I have no idea tbh.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

if you've got a pc / laptop with all the necessary tools installed then probably yes, unless he'd need some documentation only available on the net then he'd be sol for that part.
Captain FPGA

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:55 pm Now that we know that srg320 is safe (thank God), does anyone know if he's able to work on the core atm? Last I heard, his internet and phone was cut off due to the war. He mentioned that he'll continue to work on the core, and srg320 seems like the type of fellow to bury himself in his work, especially in such a difficult time.

I'm just curious if he can actually work on the core w/out internet. I'm not a core dev so I have no idea tbh.
https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/1501474304336277510

How did you find out he's alive? I suck at navigating Twitter but everytime I go there all I keep seeing is this post from March 9th. Hows his family doing?

I will be very surprised if he's working on the core without internet access.
Dreams don't die!
KremlingKuthroat19

Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:14 pm
KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:55 pm Now that we know that srg320 is safe (thank God), does anyone know if he's able to work on the core atm? Last I heard, his internet and phone was cut off due to the war. He mentioned that he'll continue to work on the core, and srg320 seems like the type of fellow to bury himself in his work, especially in such a difficult time.

https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/1501474304336277510

How did you find out he's alive? I suck at navigating Twitter but everytime I go there all I keep seeing is this post from March 9th. Hows his family doing?

I will be very surprised if he's working on the core without internet access.
I'm just echoing other people on the MiSTer discord that've stated that he's doing well and is safe. It was yesterday when someone mentioned on the Twitter feed that they've been in communication with him.

His last 2 tweets read, "Hi. I'm fine. But my town (and all neighboring ones) is under the occupation of Russian troops. The occupiers have closed the banks, cut off TV, and threaten the population. When people came to the protest, they opened fire in the air to disperse people." and "But I keep working, and I believe it will end up in our favor."

I'm just assuming he's continuing to work even w/out access to the internet. I know if I was in the same situation, I'd bury myself in some kind of project to escape the fact that I'm in a war-torn country. I just hope that he's able to access his Patreon funds in this time, just to make sure he's financially taken care of.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

Krikzz said he was contacted by Sergey on April 11, and that he's OK but cut off from internet and phone. I don't see any reason why he'd need internet to keep working on the core, other than maybe getting copies of more games to test, but I hope he's just spending his time keeping his head down and surviving this stupid war.
Captain FPGA

Mr. Encyclopedia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:46 pm Krikzz said he was contacted by Sergey on April 11, and that he's OK but cut off from internet and phone. I don't see any reason why he'd need internet to keep working on the core, other than maybe getting copies of more games to test, but I hope he's just spending his time keeping his head down and surviving this stupid war.
His area still in Russian occupied territory or is it one of those areas that Ukrainians have recaptured/liberated?

Your right about not needing internet access to code a core, including a possible Saturn core. I think that rule applies to other cores.

Thanks for the update guys. I'm always blown away by the retro gaming scene in Ukraine. I think it's awesome that Krikkz and srg talk to each other. I thought with the exception of a select few these Mister and retro types are in separate camps, glad that isn't the case.
Dreams don't die!
ToothbrushThreepwood

Unread post by ToothbrushThreepwood »

Captain FPGA wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:52 am
Mr. Encyclopedia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:46 pm Krikzz said he was contacted by Sergey on April 11, and that he's OK but cut off from internet and phone. I don't see any reason why he'd need internet to keep working on the core, other than maybe getting copies of more games to test, but I hope he's just spending his time keeping his head down and surviving this stupid war.
His area still in Russian occupied territory or is it one of those areas that Ukrainians have recaptured/liberated?

Your right about not needing internet access to code a core, including a possible Saturn core. I think that rule applies to other cores.

Thanks for the update guys. I'm always blown away by the retro gaming scene in Ukraine. I think it's awesome that Krikkz and srg talk to each other. I thought with the exception of a select few these Mister and retro types are in separate camps, glad that isn't the case.
Yeah, the retro-computimg scene there is/was surprisingly big.
E.g. this awesome museum of retro computers in Mariupol (reportedly now destroyed in bombardments, sadly, but the owner and his family got out alive a few weeks into the siege, luckily): https://it8bit.club/ (patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/braintec)
Hackshed_Carl

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

I know the previous comments weren't meant in any ill manner in the slightest however I personally couldn't give a flying toss if he's still working on the core or not.
I'd much rather hear that he and his loved ones are safe and that his time is being spent remaining that way.

I'd be happy to never have a Saturn core if it meant that the war could end sooner and all the affected people were able to start rebuilding their lives sooner rather than later.
futureforget

Unread post by futureforget »

Really glad to hear Sergey is safe (at least as of fairly recently), I'm not a Twitter user but I've been checking their feed pretty regularly. Does anyone know if there are better ways to financially supporting them other than Patreon? I already contribute to their Patreon, but wondered if there have been issues with creators getting money from their Patreon accounts or anything like that. There probably aren't a lot of other options given the circumstances but I thought I would ask before cranking up my contributions.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

futureforget wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:40 pm Really glad to hear Sergey is safe (at least as of fairly recently), I'm not a Twitter user but I've been checking their feed pretty regularly. Does anyone know if there are better ways to financially supporting them other than Patreon? I already contribute to their Patreon, but wondered if there have been issues with creators getting money from their Patreon accounts or anything like that. There probably aren't a lot of other options given the circumstances but I thought I would ask before cranking up my contributions.
He said on his Twitter last month that he can access the money in his Patreon.
srg320
Core Developer

Unread post by srg320 »

Hi. I'm fine. The Russian occupiers have turned off our Internet and mobile communications. There is a slow Internet connection, but this one is not always available. Twitter and Facebook are blocked, so I'm writing here. I'm working on Saturn and other cores. Maybe not so fast, but I continue to work. Thank you all for support.
retro

Unread post by retro »

srg320 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 am Hi. I'm fine. The Russian occupiers have turned off our Internet and mobile communications. There is a slow Internet connection, but this one is not always available. Twitter and Facebook are blocked, so I'm writing here. I'm working on Saturn and other cores. Maybe not so fast, but I continue to work. Thank you all for support.
Stay strong! Tyranny cannot last forever!
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

srg320 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 am Hi. I'm fine. The Russian occupiers have turned off our Internet and mobile communications. There is a slow Internet connection, but this one is not always available. Twitter and Facebook are blocked, so I'm writing here. I'm working on Saturn and other cores. Maybe not so fast, but I continue to work. Thank you all for support.
Слава Україні!
Mr^O^BIG

Unread post by Mr^O^BIG »

Thanks for what you're doing, it's really nice and great, hope they will leave soon and let you back to a normal life, peace

Mr BIG
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Stay strong brother, you're a legend!!!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Stay safe, stay strong, and we are all behind you 100%
birdybro~
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

I sent you a lot of positive thinking from Belgium !
Stay safe, we're all with you !

かすりん

lordoftime79

Unread post by lordoftime79 »

Hackshed_Carl wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:44 pm I know the previous comments weren't meant in any ill manner in the slightest however I personally couldn't give a flying toss if he's still working on the core or not.
I'd much rather hear that he and his loved ones are safe and that his time is being spent remaining that way.

I'd be happy to never have a Saturn core if it meant that the war could end sooner and all the affected people were able to start rebuilding their lives sooner rather than later.
I totally agree! Its diabolical what ra-ra-rus putin is getting away with! He needs stomping out!
Malan

Unread post by Malan »

Sending you good vibes from France!
Stay strong and good luck.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

srg320 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 am Hi. I'm fine.
So glad to hear it! Thank you for letting us know. The world is with you! All my best from the USA.
Captain FPGA

You are a legend among us
Dreams don't die!
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Looks like he gave us a 32X core to hold us over:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/S32X_MiSTer

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!
pippuz

Unread post by pippuz »

Wished to ask: do you know if Saturn core accepts Saturn images within a zip or needs to be uncompressed?

I want also to take advantage to show all my respect and support for Srg and for ukrainian people who are living such a hell. We are all on your side.
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

pippuz wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:46 pm Wished to ask: do you know if Saturn core accepts Saturn images within a zip or needs to be uncompressed?

I want also to take advantage to show all my respect and support for Srg and for ukrainian people who are living such a hell. We are all on your side.
I think it's at least somewhat likely that it will support MAME's CHD format, which is compressed and is easy to covert from BIN/CUE format. The PlayStation beta core currently does, and I haven't felt any difference between CHD and uncompressed BIN images.
KremlingKuthroat19

CHD will definitely happen. There's no reason why CHD support wouldn't work or be added to Saturn since the PSX, Sega CD, a0486, and TurboGrafx CD all support it. It'll probably take zakk looking into it, but that'll come once the core is in a much more mature state.
hyp36rmax

Unread post by hyp36rmax »

Seems to support bin cue. I bet REDUMP files will work perfectly. Currently can only load Bios until Mister Main is updated. Not sure how far along this is.

Bios will need to be renamed to boot.bin

Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »